insect repellent for cats ? (Read 1031 times)

DoppleBock

Put up bat houses and stock a few thousand bats - No mosquitos - No issue with repellent.

Or most mosquito issues are 1 hour prior to dusk - early night fall.  Avoid this time ... That is what us humans usually do.

I have never heard about pets having mosquito problems - Growing up we had inside / outside cats and dogs - Lived in a heavy mosquito area and they never had issues - Maybe you are doing something around or to the cat that makes it much more targeted by the mosquitos?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Put up bat houses and stock a few thousand bats - No mosquitos - No issue with repellent.

I love this sofa king much!  Bats are awesome.  Occasionally we get them in our house, which is not so awesome, since we have had cases of rabid bats in our county--our cats also try to catch a flying bat in our house, which we don't want to see happen, either.  Bats are really sweet and I'd feel horrible if one of our cats killed one in our house (we have--at highest--7' ceilings...we discovered when a bat was in our house that our youngest cat has a 6' vertical leap as he knocked one out of the air).  We've wanted to put up bat houses around our property to encourage the little winged rodents to go THERE, instead of in our house.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Good idea on the bat house. 

I love bats.  I am friends with a bat rehabber.  She is the number one bat rehabber in the DC area.  I am not afraid of them , actually  love them. Brown bats are the cutest things ever.  Have you ever seen one up close? They have a  nose like a German Shepherd.  

Anyway,  I have never known another cat to have mosquito problems either.  I'm not sure about Kiki.  She is a long hair, but she's clean.  ( for the most part )  What about all the feral cats out there?   It is odd. 

- Anya

Feeling the growl again

Anyway,  I have never known another cat to have mosquito problems either.  I'm not sure about Kiki.  She is a long hair, but she's clean.  ( for the most part )  What about all the feral cats out there?   It is odd. 

I can't say I've ever seen a cat with mosquito bite issues (or any other animal for that matter), and I grew up in farmland where every farm had 10-60 cats that spent all their time outside.

That said, there is variability.  Bites on me are only minorly annoying scratchy little bumps.  On my wife they are much worse; on my sister they look like a major allergic reaction an inch or more across.  Your cat may just be screwed by genetics.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yes, and they say diet can make you more/less appealing to mosquitoes.  Supposedly, adequate B vitamins help keep the bugs away.

Yoda the 4-eared cat

I love this sofa king much!  Bats are awesome.  Occasionally we get them in our house, which is not so awesome, since we have had cases of rabid bats in our county--our cats also try to catch a flying bat in our house, which we don't want to see happen, either.  Bats are really sweet and I'd feel horrible if one of our cats killed one in our house (we have--at highest--7' ceilings...we discovered when a bat was in our house that our youngest cat has a 6' vertical leap as he knocked one out of the air).  We've wanted to put up bat houses around our property to encourage the little winged rodents to go THERE, instead of in our house.

In our old appartment in summer we tended to leave windows open all night. We had a 1 1/2 foot high glass vase in our living room and, one day, I got the fright of my life when I thought I saw a dead bat in it. On closer inspection, it turned out to be alive. Just resting.

So I put the vase outside. After a few minutes, it  occured to me that the blighter actually had somehow fallen in and couldn't get out (not enough room to spread its wings). So I tipped the vase on it's side, the bat crawled out and was gone in an instant. I found it in the middle of the day but I have no idea how long it had been in there.