How many KMs should a pair of shoes last? (Read 1180 times)

You could answer in miles too, and I`ll convert it myself. Thanks for any help. Love the website!
      Cage, I think they should last about 500 miles. At least, that is what comes to mind. Maybe someone could correct me if I'm wrong.
      "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways.... totally worn out ....shouting...."Holy S**t....What a ride!"
      Wingz

Professional Noob

Yeah, 300 - 500, depending on shoe and runner. And the astrological sign under which you purchased the shoes... Wink

Roads were made for journeys...

gimme some sugar, baby

I usually run until 400, then order a new pair of shoes, so by the time they come it's 430ish
          George: Runner/Law Student
          www.gimme-five.com
          vicentefrijole

Also, it depends on the durability of the shoe, your body weight, and how your run on them (dragging feet, etc). But 300-500 miles is what I've heard also.
              Also, it depends on the durability of the shoe, your body weight, and how your run on them (dragging feet, etc). But 300-500 miles is what I've heard also.
              Yes, shoe durability, body weight, surface you are running (asphalt, etc), type of shoe (motion control, etc) all affect how long they will last. But 300-500 is the general range.
              My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48
                I retire shoes at 350 miles (560 km) give or take 50 miles (80 km).
                waddleonbeth

Ive heard that if your over 150 lbs you should retire them earlier because you break them down faster like at 300 miles

You'll ruin your knees!

Depends on lots of things... I have retired shoes as early as 250 miles and as late as 600 miles! The best indicator is your body! If you notice a twinge after a run on shoes at 300 miles, it may be time to think about changing shoes. I always try and have several pair "in use" at any given time. I have four right now, one on it's last set of laces, two going through a mid-life crisis, and another one that still pees on my foot every time they see me! Shocked Wink(read, pretty young). I have another pair in the box that is ready to go and yet another low mileage shoe only for "special" occasions (full goretex trail shoe just looking for a slushy/snowy trail - not too many of those around here). With shoes in various stages of "rotation", it is easy to change once you think you may be developing an "issue" with the older pair. Once you notice that twinge in the foot or a knee, go to a back-up pair for a run or two and see if it doesn't go away. If it does, make another run on the old pair and if the twinge is back, adios! Good luck with it! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

I always look at the bottom of the shoe for wear. If it looks like they have been used by the Flinstones/Rubble family as brakes I tend to use them for 'yard' activities. Tongue
                        I have used all my Asics to 1000km before retiring them. I have not felt any ill effects.
                        Run more.