National Marathon & Half - March 26th in DC. Anyone else going. (Read 1815 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

I'm sorry to see the course change, too.  That stretch on Constitution was my favorite!  I am glad that we'll still be able to run past the Washington Monument and that the new course doesn't really impact the elevation.

I'm more upset at the Metro not opening at 5 than about the course change.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Tramps

If there are awards for cartography, whoever did this map should win one.

I just hope I don't run out of money after Mile 7.

Confused

I missed this one entirely.

Be safe. Be kind.

Confused

I missed this one entirely.

I laughed as it seemed funny to me that on a map that cluttered, they bothered labeling the "Sun Trust Bank" locations (yes, I know they are the sponsor).  When you look at them on the map you will see that if you need cash after mile 7.... there are no more banks on the course!

.... granted, it loses something in the explanation! Smile

2017 Goals
        1) Run more than 231 miles
        2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Tramps

I laughed as it seemed funny to me that on a map that cluttered, they bothered labeling the "Sun Trust Bank" locations

Big grin

Be safe. Be kind.

Kimmie

I'll be there, also coming from northern Va. I think I may drive to Arlington, catch the first train at 6:00? Should be enough time. I hope... Guess I'm still debating.
            Julia1971

I laughed as it seemed funny to me that on a map that cluttered, they bothered labeling the "Sun Trust Bank" locations (yes, I know they are the sponsor).  When you look at them on the map you will see that if you need cash after mile 7.... there are no more banks on the course!

.... granted, it loses something in the explanation! Smile

Thanks for explaning my silly joke.  I'm sure I'm going to look for that bank location during the race.  Smile  It's too bad Starbuck's isn't a sponsor.

Julia1971

I'll be there, also coming from northern Va. I think I may drive to Arlington, catch the first train at 6:00? Should be enough time. I hope... Guess I'm still debating.

I'm hoping they announce they're doing the pocket train thing where they put extra trains in the tunnels overnight so they're ready to go as soon as the system opens.  In which case, there conceivably wouldn't be a long wait for a train once the system opens at 6am because they're not coming from the end of the line.

If you drive in to Arlington and park, you may have a hard time finding non-metered/non-resident street parking.  I forget when you have to start feeding the meters, but I've done this before and I think it was before I got back from the race.  Lucked out and didn't get a ticket.  Smile  (Then, I got the iPark thing.  I turned it on when I left my car but it didn't start charging me until the meter started).

I ran the marathon last year.  I noticed the traffic but didn't get caught in it.  You may want to check out the directions they give you to get in to the parking.  They are different than what you would use if you gmapped it.  That might have been the problem.  I just remember not having an issue but seeing plenty of people who did...

theyapper

On the road again...

Kim - I'm staying in Arlington and looks like I'll have to Metro in from the Pentagon stop.  On a normal day when the Metro opens at 7, the train gets to this stop at 7:15 and arrives at the Stadium at 7:45ish.  That would put it at 6:15 and 6:45 on race day (unless they have extra cars that day so there's already one at the Pentagon site right at 6).  It'll be tight, for sure.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

sincerely silly

I also live in Arlington...if you're going to chance the metro anyway you may as well have two trains to choose from and park in Rosslyn!  If you PM me I can give you any info on parking I have. 

First trains from Rosslyn would be at

Blue - 6:28 AM
                      Orange - 6:22 AM

shin splints are my nemesis

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I think that one of the big lots on the south side of the stadium was all torn up with construction and storage of stuff last year when I ran it. I took the metro from New Carrollton. Easy.

I'm thinking about  going this year to accompany a friend who is running the marathon, I would meet her near the stadium (half way point) and just run the second half with her. That second half is a lonely 13 miles.

Yeah, they didn't have the lots open that they planned, last year, and it was a total disaster. Lots of people jumping out of cars and running to the start around start time. Lots of cars parked all over the grass too.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Does anybody knows what kind of "time chip" they use for this race ?

Tramps

Can't remember what chip they used.  Why does it matter?

FYI, I was trying to explain the parking lots to someone driving for the first time and discovered that the DC United Web site has both better driving directions and a nice parking lot map

If you come from the south, as I do, the route flows nicely into Parking Lot 8 on the south side of RFK.  Last year, though, this lot was closed (I never saw an advance notice--and apparently lots of others didn't either).  This forced everyone coming from the south to cut across the course to get to the lots on the northern side of RFK.  Thus, the gridlock and mess.  At the packet pick-up, I plan to check--and double-check--on the availability of lots this year.

Be safe. Be kind.

Julia1971

I don't know if they sent something out and I just missed it, but the final race instructions are up on the website.  The link that takes you to the waiver you have to bring to packet pick-up also tells you your bib number and corral.

And, we're close enough to have a 10 day forecast on weather.com.  I know it's unreliable this far out, but I still had to check.

Tramps

Yeah, this just came in an email that I assume everyone got.

Oddly my wife and I--who expect to finish the marathon about 75 minutes apart--are in the same corral (Grey-7).  Confused

Be safe. Be kind.