Fueling-up for morning runs? (Read 1032 times)

I've gotten into the habit of doing tempo workouts later in the afternoon, and easy runs in the morning,

but I have lately been trying to make the most of my energy by doing some faster runs early, around 7:30.

I usually eat a reasonably high-carb meal the night before, around 6 or 7. Recently, though,

I had trouble with much of this meal still being in my stomach when I head out in the morning.

Stomach trouble, diarrhea, and poor workouts usually ensue.

In light of this, I've been thinking instead of eating lighter the night before, and just getting up early to have a very light, simple carb snack about 1-1/2 hrs before I run. Is this a good idea, or should the meal the night before suffice?

Another consideration of mine is that I tend to rest better when I am not stuffed - I like to wake up feeling hungry.

if you're tired of starting over then stop giving up!

I'd try just doing them on whatever easy morning fare you can tolerate, be it coffee, juice, toast, a bagel, a combination of the above, or nothing.  It's not like you're trying to do long runs after sleeping 8 hours and eating nothing -- you should be fine, IMO.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

ultramarathon/triathlete

How about coffee and a GU. Not exactly the breakfast of champions but it might work. I have a few friends who can run in the morning if they've eaten. I think they just have coffee and eat after.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
        Gatorade Endurance Team

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I like to eat the night before and the morning as well. But I do know a number of people who don't like to run after eating.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I'm a morning runner (main workout) and do all of these runs unfed - regardless of duration or intensity.

The only exception is race day, which often features a wake-up call and commute many hours ahead of the race - in which case I'll eat something (say 300 calories) with a fairly equal balance of protein, fat, and carbs at 3 hours pre-race.

Liz

pace sera, sera

BeeRunB

I eat normally the night before--trying not to eat too close to bedtime--like an empty stomach when sleeping. I never eat closer than three hours before a run, for fat-burning and empty stomach reasons. If I run in the  a.m., which I am about to go do. I don't eat. Never a problem with bonking, even on long runs--I usually run in a high fat-burning range anyway. I'll eat breakfast if I plan an afternoon run.  Before a marathon, I will get up 4 hours before the race, eat a small meal, then go back to sleep. Short races, I don't bother.

--JimmyCool

Doc, my tooth hurts

I'm a morning runner (main workout) and do all of these runs unfed - regardless of duration or intensity.

The only exception is race day, which often features a wake-up call and commute many hours ahead of the race - in which case I'll eat something (say 300 calories) with a fairly equal balance of protein, fat, and carbs at 3 hours pre-race.

+1

I do eat some mornings before easy runs.  I never eat before a hard morning workout.

NoKenyan

I usually have a banana or dry cereal before a morning run. The things I avoid before a run are coffee and juice.
                  LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Most mornings, just a couple of gulps of water.  If it's going to be a couple of hours before I run, I eat a thingy of yogurt first.  Yogurt is nice on my stomach.

keeponrunning

I used to do my long runs on Saturday or Sunday mornings when I used to work weekends.  I grabbed a banana and a couple sips of water, maybe half a bagel if I was really hungry.  Never any trouble with bonking.

Sulphur Springs 50km-- Ancaster, ON-- May 28, 2022

Tally in the Valley 12 hours-- Dundas, ON -- July 30, 2022 (Support SickKids Toronto)

Stokely Creek-- 56km-- Sault Ste. Marie, ON-- Sept. 24, 2022

Try a banana and coffee. Banana will prep. your stomach for the coffee.  I like KD's idea, but may be a little harsh on the stomach, and a little expensive as a long-term thing.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Not much of a coffee drinker, though (I hear) it can be beneficial in

moderation for athletes, or others who don't normally consume loads

of caffeine on a regular basis. I tend to shy away from eating too soon

before a rigorous run - I just hate that feeling when you have stuff bouncing

around in your stomach. I might try the banana thing, though.

if you're tired of starting over then stop giving up!

coastwalker

Me too. I'll have a tall glass of water when I get up to flush my system, but that's about it. Maybe a couple of Sharkies before I head out if I'm going over 10 miles or so.

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Julia1971

Another consideration of mine is that I tend to rest better when I am not stuffed - I like to wake up feeling hungry.

Kind of a threadjack, but, I have a hard time finding any rhyme or reason to what I eat the night before and how hungry I am the next morning.  I can eat a calorie dense dinner and still wake up hungry and on the flip side skip dinner and still not be hungry the next morning.

Unless I'm still feeling really full - like I had a really late dinner (9pm) - I'll have a half bagel and coffee in the morning.  I also carry 12 oz. of Vitalyte with me on almost all runs.  That way, I can at least drink something to make me feel fuller in case I guess wrong on how hungry I feel.

I think it's one of those things you have to experiment with until you find what works for you.

Imminent Catastrophe

Got a blender? I've been making smoothies in the morning. Whatever ingredients you prefer, but it's liquid so doesn't sit in your stomach. 

Here's mine: Almond milk/protein powder/fruit (banana or berries)/flaxseed or ground chia/Udo's Oil. Works for me.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016