Running days required vs other activities/sports? (Read 76 times)

It seems to me that running requires more days than many other sports... 3-6days a week? seems like 3-4x a week is near the lower end required...

vs.

if I were just rock climbing I'd probably climb 2-3 days a week, when combined I try to get in once a week.

vs.

Ice hockey, playing twice a week is pretty nice, most guys I play with play 1-2x a week probably.

300m- 37 sec.

paul2432

Required for what?  I think if you want to achieve mastery in hockey or rock climbing 2-3 days/week would not be enough.  On the other hand if you just want some fitness benefits, three days per week of running is plenty.

Top class swimmers and cyclists put in many more hours/week than top runners.

Art Tatum, perhaps the greatest jazz pianist of all time, was known for practicing up to 12 hours a day every day.

I wonder how much time the world's best chess players put into studying an prepping for a major competition.

Hold me, love me. (x2)

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
        We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
        Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

What about professional golfers? When playing in a tournament, that’s 4 days of approx 4 hours per round if they make the cut...plus there’s the warm up beforehand. They spend hours on the practice ground on non competition days, plus the modern golfer regularly hits the gym as well. That adds up to a lot of hours per week!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I showed horses (hunter jumper) to a pretty high level as a kid.  My time commitment for that sport dwarfed my current time commitment to running, even after including supplemental stuff like yoga, pool-running, foam rolling.

Running is generally MUCH LESS of a time commitment than other sports - both because the body can handle much less training than it can in other sports, and because often you don't need to travel anywhere to do it.  If you're going to ride, you have to get to the barn; if you're going to swim, you need to get to the pool.  Many of us can run from home.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

mikeymike

I generally indulge your whimsical, wondering-out-loud, pseudo trolling because anyone who can pull off the classic pole vault / mile double must be ok in a certain way or at least have some of the good kind of crazy, but this is just lazy. Not your best work.

Obviously being good at a sport requires a combination of physical ability and work/practice and everyone is free to do as much or as little work/practice as they want and realize as much or as little of their potential as they want. There are definitely no rules in the sport of running that say you have to put in more than 1-2 days per week. But you know this.

Runners run

ELnEC

I ain't got nothing but love, babe

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I generally indulge your whimsical, wondering-out-loud, pseudo trolling because anyone who can pull off the classic pole vault / mile double must be ok in a certain way or at least have some of the good kind of crazy, but this is just lazy. Not your best work.

Obviously being good at a sport requires a combination of physical ability and work/practice and everyone is free to do as much or as little work/practice as they want and realize as much or as little of their potential as they want. There are definitely no rules in the sport of running that say you have to put in more than 1-2 days per week. But you know this.

LOL, your responses are always brilliant!  I think the OP semi trolls which is probably a good thing because it can lead to other discussions. It’s better than nobody posting at all.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

I was talking about the average adult with a job normal working hours...

not to become the best at a given sport at 18yo...professional status...

It appears to me, and not in hours/week, but just rather times/week...

that anyone training for a 5k-50k is putting in 3-4days a week minimum.

and most semi serious runners probably 4-6/week, not to mention the serious 2x/day runners...but that probably isn't exactly who I'm referring to.

I don't see many adults with jobs/kids etc... playing hockey more than 1-2x/week

and the rock climbers I know, although most of them are kid-less and younger are putting in maybe 3 days/week.

I also wonder how many focus on multiple sports/hobbies? I once heard a man can only focus/excel at 2 activities...at a time.

I for one, need at least a couple of rest days a week, atm..., maybe I need to cut a activity, ugh! lol.

300m- 37 sec.