Goal of sub 17 minute 5k (Read 8285 times)

It sounds a hell of a lot easier than it is sometimes.

No doubt.

That's the point I was ineloquently trying to make, but a good read through this thread makes it clear too - this is going to be work, and even then, it could take luck, and even then...shite.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
    We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

I would really like to tick this off as well.  I did 17:01 & 17:05 twice in 2011, but didn't really get close last year as I ran my 5k's before I was in my best shape for the year.

I'm actually going to do a 5k tomorrow to get a marker of my fitness but I'd be surprised if I got close as I've started pushing my mileage up since Jan 1st with consistent doubles and the legs are still adjusting to the mileage bump.

I'll hop in on this goal for 2013. In the interest of full disclosure, the first 5k that I'm planning on running this year is the USATF-NE Grand Prix race (the Hollis 5k) which is so downhill that it probably doesn't really count as <17 unless I break 17 by a good 15-20 seconds.

I'll hop in on this goal for 2013. In the interest of full disclosure, the first 5k that I'm planning on running this year is the USATF-NE Grand Prix race (the Hollis 5k) which is so downhill that it probably doesn't really count as <17 unless I break 17 by a good 15-20 seconds.

I kind of have in my head that I need to do it before then because if my first sub-17 is at Hollis, that will mess my head all up.

Runners run

If I wear roller skates I might be able to break 17 this year @ the the Hollis 5k. However I think I may be a year away from seriously thinking about this.

Good luck guys and look forward to seeing you guys break 17.

I'm in too. Got down to 17:14 last year before being sidetracked for three months with Achilles issues. Right now, I am a long way from sub 17, but hopefully after my April marathon I can give it another shot. First target is to get back into sub 3 shape for the marathon.

I kind of have in my head that I need to do it before then because if my first sub-17 is at Hollis, that will mess my head all up.

This is exactly how I feel about my mile PR (my first and only <5) coming from the Millennium Mile...

Why is it sideways?

I want to jump in on this thread because I've got a 5k goal as well -- hoping to run sub 15:30. I got a little out of shape the last couple months, but hoping to get back in the swing -- run my first workout on Saturday, just a tempo run.

This is exactly how I feel about my mile PR (my first and only <5) coming from the Millennium Mile...

There's a solution to that problem.

Runners run

I'm actually thinking about this still. I kind of messed up a bit in that BU Open race. Doing the Fudgicle 5k tomorrow and see how I feel after.

There's a solution to that problem.

I wish I could join in for the fun at the GBTC meet but I'll be out of state...GLRR will have a team at the 26x1 relay in June so that's probably when I'm going after the mile.

Back to the 5k topic...has anyone run the BAA 5k? If so, is the start wide enough that you could use the faster runners to pace for a PR or are you tripping over people the whole way?

DoppleBock

I am a long way off - Heck I just started training 1/7 for 2013.  But I have never tried to run a fast 5k and have trained specifically for marathons or further my whole time running, with the last few years for much further.

I need a change of pace for 2013 - Mental and physical change, so I am focussing on 5k-10K.  Specifically 5K, 5M, 10K.  Goal 5K on 8/3 and goal 10k on 8/10

I am not sure I could break 20 right now for 5k and have a 2006 PR of 17:51 - 5k and 35:46 - 10k.

Because of my current fitness - Strong and Slow as a Clydesdale - I will take until early August to have a shot.

My biggest worry is if my body will hold together running fast ... When I am running lots of miles, everytime I run fast for awhile I tweak something.  Another reason I am on a slow, steady path toward the goal of sub 17 on 8/3.

Success or Failure - I look forward to the journey and change of scenery.

I have 2 - Prepaid bumps along the way

3/23 - Clinton Lakes 30 miler

4/15 Boston Marathon

Both will have minimal taper and not be goal races, Althoug I want a sub 3:00 at Boston.

My 1st feedback will by a 4/5 5k - After that race it will be a steady diet of 5k, 5M and 10k races leading up to trying to peak for the 8/3 5k and 8/10 10k.

For now I am just trying to teach my legs how to turnover again and learn to be satisfied with less mileage

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Back to the 5k topic...has anyone run the BAA 5k? If so, is the start wide enough that you could use the faster runners to pace for a PR or are you tripping over people the whole way?

I have not run it and in general I hate the whole concept of the BAA 5k (it seems like a shameless cash grab basically) but there are not a lot of good 5k's in April and it's a pancake flat course. The idea of a 5k with 5000+ people makes me shudder, but I have to believe that there is some seeding that goes on and really only about 100 people broke 18 last year so it shouldn't be very crowded around us. It starts on Boylston so there should be plenty of room to get out.

I'm slightly ashamed to say I'm actually considering it. If things go as planned at New Bedford I should be in pretty sick shape around the middle of April and there really are not a lot of good 5k's then.

Runners run

DoppleBock

The 5k 8/3 is not pancake flat, but mile #1 flat, mile #2 a 40 foot hill spread over a few blocks, mile #3 40 feet down spread over 1/2 mile.

It will have 6-8 kids from 2 local highschool cross country teams running mid 16s to low 17s, but only a total of 100 people.  So my plan is to get into shape to be the old fart battling the HS kids.  Not worry about pacing, but try some racing.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

coach-T

Funny how hard or easy x seconds / mile are to come by wherever you are on the training / experience curve. The above are my 5k times (there was no consistent running from 2001 - 2010). In 2011 I got 15 seconds or so, last year struggled to pick up 5 seconds. Sort of counting on accumulation of good training over last 2 years + focus on 5k + a little strength training + more consistent workouts + more racing to get down to 17...

Your graph is a near flip of mine... running 17:44s in 2002 and 2003 and 18:19 this last year.... Hopefully 17:44 comes easy so my focus can be on the next 44 seconds... but maybe my goal will end up to be just catching my old time now...