What Is This? (Read 197 times)

Member Since 2008

About 3/4 of the way through my long run this morning I started getting what felt like a cramp in my right calf.  I tried stretching it out and could tell it wasn't a cramp.  I had to walk the rest of the way home.

The pain seems to be deep in my calf muscle with minimal pain when I walk, but when I run it feels as if I am starting to get a cramp.  Looking back at my running I can see I've added too many miles recently, which I should have known better.

Has anyone had this before?  If so what can I do?  Ice or heat, and no I can't go to the doctors, thanks to Obama Care (affordable health care) I can no longer afford the premiums.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

mikeymike

It's a calf strain.

Runners run

Nothing to add on the calf strain.  I just wanted to confirm that before Obama, health care premiums never increased.  Everything was hunky dory...  Costs were under control and only 50% of American bankruptcies were caused by health care costs.  Then that guy came along and ruined everything.

joescott

I think mikey's right = 2.5 weeks of no running in my experience with similar issues in my quadriceps.  Then come back a little bit carefully (don't jump immediately to pre-injury mileage).

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

As Mikey said, it's probably a strain and the damage is done.

For future reference, here's my standard response to calf maintenance which has worked wonders for me:

Oh My Aching Calfs

#artbydmcbride

Hey Go PRE, check around on this site...

Covered California

Runners run

Member Since 2008

Been there, done that.

MorisetteStevens

It's probably a strain and the damage is done.
                  As with all injuries, prevention is your best defense. Prevention options for the strain include:
                  Calf Stretching- Stretching properly, starting slowly, and increasing gradually will be critical if you want to avoid calf strain.  To help maintain flexibility in the ankle joint, begin each day with a series of stretches and be certain to stretch prior to, and after, any exercise or excessive physical activity.

Interconnective Chain Stretching & Strengthening- While maintaining calf flexibility is the key to avoiding other leg injuries, a stretching and strengthening routine that strengthens the entire chain, from your lower back to your feet, will assist in retraining the neuromuscular system to perform more efficiently and effectively enabling you to avoid common injuries.
                  Orthotics and Heel Support- Bio-mechanically engineered inserts and heel cups can be placed in your shoes to correct misalignments or bolster the support of your foot and are available without a prescription.  The temporary heel padding that these provide reduces the length that the Achilles tendon stretches each time you step, making it more comfortable to go about your daily routine.

Proper Footwear- Low-heeled shoes with good arch support and shock absorption are best for the health of your foot. Look into heel wedges and other shoe inserts to make sure that your everyday foot mechanics are operating under ideal conditions.

Hope this will help you.