$63 a month gym pass to use the elliptical ? (Read 1852 times)

Well, I have not been running in almost 2 weeks now ( ITBS) and can almost hear the fat forming on my butt. I found a gym that offers month to month for $63. I've never done the elliptical, but I've heard that it might be something I can do to that won't hurt my IT Band. I am going nuts right now, going through some serious life issues, and need to do something. Walking does not cut it. It's so awful, not being able to run. Anyone do the elliptical machine? Do you keep your knees bent or straight?

- Anya

Slow Runner

You can buy your own a hell of a lot cheaper than $63 per month However, I have no experience on one...The couple times I have tried it just felt weird..
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ow, $63?! Surely there must be some of those little 24/7 strip mall places for cheaper...the places that have no locker room, no full-time staff, just basic cardio, free weights, and a selection of machines. The one near me is $33/month. I loved having that option this Winter when the snow/ice/cold were too much (especially since we reached nearly record snowfall in these parts--which is already a helluvalot of snow--and plowing budgets have been cut due to the economy).

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

You can buy your own a hell of a lot cheaper than $63 per month However, I have no experience on one...The couple times I have tried it just felt weird..
          Oh, the $63 a month, is high, totally. But, I don't have to sign a contract. If I signed for a normal contact , it would be $34 a month. I HATE gyms, and only plan to do it until the knee heals... if I do it at all.

- Anya

A Saucy Wench

MAke them give you a trial membership. Almost any club will do 5 days or 1 week or sometimes as much as 2 weeks free or for a very low cost (mine does 5 VISITS ). Try before you buy. I can do the "cross trainers" but not the old fashioned "elliptical" although in many gyms the two are both called elliptical. Ellipticals hurt my knees but the Xtrainer feels very natural to me. I think there is a shorter stride length on Xtrainers

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

MAke them give you a trial membership. Almost any club will do 5 days or 1 week or sometimes as much as 2 weeks free or for a very low cost (mine does 5 VISITS ). Try before you buy. I can do the "cross trainers" but not the old fashioned "elliptical" although in many gyms the two are both called elliptical. Ellipticals hurt my knees but the Xtrainer feels very natural to me. I think there is a shorter stride length on Xtrainers
              Really? I'm not sure what the difference is. I sort of wish I had my Dad's old Nordic Track! lol And I guess I should try it first... what's funny, I'm flying tomorrow and don't know if I should pack my foam roller, or carry it on !!

- Anya

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, the $63 a month, is high, totally. But, I don't have to sign a contract. If I signed for a normal contact , it would be $34 a month. I HATE gyms, and only plan to do it until the knee heals... if I do it at all.
                Oh, that's poopy. The little joint by me is a month-to-month (and a small membership fee...like $20, but that's good for forever, AFAIK). I'm surprised people are still willing to pay $63, unless there are lots of amenities. The Y nearest to us is high-priced like that. Plus they also require no more than a month off at a time, otherwise one has to pay initiation fees again.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Slow Runner

www.planetfitness.com $10 or $20/month options
                    www.planetfitness.com $10 or $20/month options
                    Wow, I had no idea they had these here. I heard they're only like $10 a month. None of them are that close, but it might work in a pinch. Thanks everyone !

- Anya

kcam

I was injured such that I couldn't sustain the pounding of running so I trial-membershipped the 24HR Fitness around the block from my house. They gave me two week free membership. I do the elliptical and fricking love it. I got my wife into it as well and we bought two $300 memberships from Costco (to 24HR Fitness). It is a 2 year membership - so about $12.50 per month. She goes every day and I go maybe 3 times per week. BTW, I would never consider buying any home fitness machine if you can get $12.50/month access to a gym.

Jazz hands!

A lot of workplaces offer sweet gym discounts--I know my boyfriend's does, and I've heard of others. I work at a university, so I get all kinds of amazing gym stuff for $150 / year--are there any colleges near you?
                        run run run AHHHHHH run run run
                          Planet Fitness is a very good option due to the $$ involved. On the other hand you said you wished you had your dad's Nordic Trak. If you think you may be laid up for more than a month or so, check in the Want Ads or Craigslist or whatever for a Nordic Trak. If you've used one you already know it's a helluva a workout. Much better than a mere elliptical IMHO. At least around my parts, there's alway folks looking to dump their barely used X-country skiers.
                            I pay $59.95 monthly for my month to month gym membership and love it in comparison to other gyms. I primarily use the treadmills but the gym is open 24/7, their equipment has no time limits, the showers are very clean and have opaque glass doors, and towels are furnished both for exercising as well as for the showers. They also have persons wiping down the equipment periodically during the day for those persons who for whatever reason don't wipe down the equipment after they use them. And although I do not use them it also have two big swimming pools, one inside and one outside. I've had this gym membership for almost two years now. Prior to this gym I paid $35.00 for a month to month contract at LA Fitness - treadmills and other exercise equipment so close together you could almost touch each other, towels were only available for rental if at all, the stuff they had available to wipe down the equipment smelled like urine or worse, and although the gym was open 5:30am to 11:00pm there were times I just needed a 3:30 or 4:00am start which was not available. Admittedly during Spring and Fall I may go 2 and almost 3 months without having to use the gym depending on weather, but it is really convenient when I need it to be able to choose a schedule convenient to me.
                            USAF Marathon, September 19 Atlanta 1/2 Marathon, Nov 26 Breast Cancer Marathon, Feb 21, 2010
                            jeffdonahue

Check out planetfitness.com - that's the gym I use and it's only $10 a month.
                                Check out planetfitness.com - that's the gym I use and it's only $10 a month.
                                Mine is open 24/7 on weekdays ...no time limits either. Just don't gruntBlush