Coming back after a break (Read 807 times)

iang999

Hi all, This site looks like a great idea and I would like some leads please as I am in a awkward situation. Background: I am male, 56 years and actually started running on April 26 1986! I remember that date as it was the Chenobol incident also my wife's birthday. So, I progressed for a few years than one thing and another came along and here I am trying to get back my fitness. I have a 10k PB of 42:25 so I was reasonable able all those years ago. But, I have had a very low activity rate for the past 4 or so years so am probably a beginner again. I am doing about 3 sessions a week each of around 25 mins but after several weeks of this I still cannot make the whole effort in one go. That is I have to stop 4 or so times to walk. Attempting to go slower does not seem to work. Are there training schedules around this site? I have a HRM and have noticed that I quickly get into the high zone so I suppose I should take it easy. Any suggestions please? Thanks.
    Complete C25K Done on 11/16/08!
    Keep running regularly 3 times a week
    Weight loss
    Plan a 5k race Do a 10k
    Get weekly mileage up to 20
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Welcome back to running! One of the hardest lessons I had to learn was that I have to train the body I currently have, not the one I wish I had. Undecided Have you considered the Couch-to-5K program? There's an active support group for that program here on RunningAHEAD at http://www.runningahead.com/groups/C25K/Forum. There are lots of ways to get back into running - this is one that's worked for a lot of people. Good luck!

Roads were made for journeys...

iang999

Hi Wingz, thanks for that info, I had read about that program but could not locate it. Let me take a look and see what I can learn there. As you say the body we have and the body I used to have are two very different things. Shocked
        Weight loss
        Plan a 5k race Do a 10k
          If you run with an Ipod/mp3 player then this is a great alternative: http://www.djsteveboy.com/intervals.html I've been using it and am now on week 7 of the Gateway to 8K. It's good stuff.
            I would say first and foremost as a 56 year old that just started back to running (myself) this past March and also was 'once up on a time' pretty successful also, my very very first advice is to forget what you USED to do (its no longer important to what you are currently trying to do ).....i had to.....cause you arent that guy any more and your starting over.....so think like a beginner that is learning to run (the good thing is you have experience already, at at 56 you are probably patient enough to work your way up again). C25K maybe....its a good program to help a beginner learn how to run....I dont see you as a beginner,,rather you are reborn and so you should know what to do.......you might like this and might not... My advice is to run 5 days as week (guess cause that is what I like to do - nothing scientific here) and be very careful about advancing your distance and speed too quickly...dont comparde yourself to your accomplishmens of past years....compare yourself to your current progress and running accomplishments. Good luck and let us know....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Wingz

Professional Noob

Good point about needing to not compare what you used to be able to do with what you are trying to do now. The speed of 20 years ago may never come all the way back... but there's no reason that the endurance can't! And even continue to improve for a long time! And for longer races, endurance is prime. While there's absolutely nothing wrong with running 5 days a week, I'd suspect that it's a bit much for someone coming off the couch at age 56 to jump right in to running that frequently. I'd be afraid that it would quickly lead to injury or at the least burnout. IMO, getting to a point where he feels successful with those three 25 minute sessions per week's a better place to start. After that, it'd depend on what his goals are and his personal training preferences.

Roads were made for journeys...

iang999

Thanks for the interest and tips. I have started the CT5KL program at week 3 (yea I know I should start at the beginning), but at the moment I can just about manage that so will keep at it until it seems I could progress. What I like about that program is the way it gives you a target and something to measure yourself against. When I started originally I was in my 30s so was able to just hop out the door and run round the block and made steady progress - I do miss that flexibility but now accept that I would be happy with the ability to go the distance at any pace. Great community btw.
                Weight loss
                Plan a 5k race Do a 10k