Can I be the first to complain about HOT weather? (Read 848 times)

Dog-Love

We've got the bears but not the mountain lions but we haven't hit above 72 yet! Bears don't really pose that large a problem. I have to admit that the weather in Alaska is the BEST for runners. Of course its a bummer if you think you want to run a marathon in anywhere that is warmer than 70 since the heat will kill us!
    Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Prophet!

i love hot weather! Cool
        i love hot weather! Cool
        Of course! I'd love hot weather if I lived where you live. Big grin Right now I'm at work when I could have been home at 6:00, but since it's about 94 degrees out and we have no AC at home, I went and picked up my youngest and we're hanging out here till it cools down. He's watching a movie and eating snacks, loving the break from the heat of home...and I'm getting some extra work done (oh, and posting more on RA!).

Michelle

If you need to feel better, come to Alabama and run a little in the 95 degree 90% humidity. :-)
            It is supposed be 113 here in Phoenix on Thursday. Last night at 9pm, well after dark, it was still 100 degrees. I know some people say dry heat is more tolerable and all (and I've lived through many swampy New England summers without a/c), but hot is hot is hot.
            shyrunner07

i'm in the minority- i love it when it's nice and steamy outside. When you feel like you are stepping into a hot wet towel- that's the kinda weather that puts a smile on my face. Big grin Probably because i know that the real extreme heat doesn't last long here, and boy do we ever suffer come January and February....! unfortunately, hubby doesn't handle heat well at all- when it gets in the high 70's and above, he gets grumpy and ill (headachy, upset tummy, hard time breathing, etc). I feel bad for people like that who just can't tolerate the warm stuff...Sad (if hubby had his way, everyday would be 60 and rainy...Tongue)
              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

i'm in the minority- i love it when it's nice and steamy outside. When you feel like you are stepping into a hot wet towel- that's the kinda weather that puts a smile on my face. Big grin Probably because i know that the real extreme heat doesn't last long here, and boy do we ever suffer come January and February....!
                It's one thing to like steamy weather, and having experienced many a Michigan winter, I know where you're coming from. But running, and especially racing in it is a horse of different genre. Run a few races on super hot days and you will rue the day you posted this! Wink

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Running very early in the morning or in the evening does make a huge difference temperature wise. Right now in Chicago it is about 80 degrees with humidity at 74%. That is just nasty. Last night I came home from orientation (go hawk eyes!) and went for a 6 mile run at about 8:00 PM and it felt great! However, I think head winds ARE welcomed in this weather Sad

https://www.instagram.com/tfilarski/

Here's why hot weather sucks for me. I'm a teacher so I'm off all summer and I would LOVE to sleep in, but I can't because I have to get up at the crack of dawn to run. If I don't do it in the morning, when it's simply sickeningly humid but not yet horribly HOT (running through thick soup is easier when the sun isn't at full blast), I won't do it at all. I shouldn't complain about being off all summer and being able to run whenever I feel like it, but I want SLEEP....grrrr....
                      In CT, it was 90 by about 11 o'clock today... ugh! On the treadmill for today, I guess.
                        In CT, it was 90 by about 11 o'clock today... ugh! On the treadmill for today, I guess.
                        SEE. That's what I would do normally. Temps over 80 I don't run outside. So tonight's race in the 90's ought to have me throwing up for sure. Suddenly I want summer to be over. (Okay, not really, I still have to hit the beach a few more times) Big grin

Michelle

If you just keep hyrdated and don't push yourself, I think your stomach functions will be fine.

Looking gooooood ;p

I hate being a Whingeing Pom as my Aussie friends would say but WHAT HOT WEATHER...??!! It's June and if anyone not in the UK is watching Wmbledon, they'll know what I mean - 14C tops today... Ho-hum, in less than a fortnight, I fly to Salt Lake City or three weeks of high altitude training work...That'll be a shock, unless things improve here, and quick!
                            The best route to run is one which takes you furthest from the staff canteen....
                              I have to admit that I was almost complaining about 47º this monday and now it's 88º and 110% humidity - in midcoast Maine! the husband keeps shooting off e-mail refering to car air conditioning - I guess its time to pick him up.

Recalculating...