Core Exercises for Running/Runners (Read 3392 times)

Looks like I am a little bit behind............guess I ought to get started today....

I really HATE Sit ups and crunches, but Im going to start with something today...........

Thks everyone..

Champions are made when no one is watching

I do 150 push ups and 300 sit-ups/crunches etc. every day.  I also do 3 days of high rep/light weight work on my chest, shoulders, back and arms.

Since I really got serious about this routine about a year ago, I've dropped 7 minutes off of my half marathon time and 1 minute off of my 5k.  Is core work the only reason why?  No, but I definetely feel stronger later in races, not to mention I look better in the summer with my shirt off.

john, don't feel bad. i don't do any either, but keep telling myself that i should start. maybe today will be the day! thanks for all the recommendations and links, people.

I do core work:

Squats

Dead Lifts

Bench Press

Rows

Pull Ups

Military Press

2 sets x8 reps twice per week. If you want strength lift for strength.

PR's: 5k 19:34 2008 10k 41:05 2008 Half 1:34:34 2007 Marathon 3:29:49 2009 Up next, Spring Marathon NJ?

These are the core routines we do 6 days a week during cross country season

http://gohs1.tvusd.k12.ca.us/AthleticsWeb/Sports/XCountry/Strength/strength.htm

PR's
            800: 2:38|1600: 5:18|3200: 11:55|3 mile:19:07

protoplasm72

My son and are are just starting the "one hundred pushups in 7 weeks" program. I'm anxious to see if that's possible given I can't do anywhere near 100 right now. 

Not to be negative but no it can't.  At least not if you do good form pushups.  TedsHead is the only one of us that did it and it took longer then that and he started from a pretty good number.  http://www.runningahead.com/groups/pushup/Forum

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

Swashbuckles

Swashbuckles by name....

Hi guys (my first post woo hoo!)

I have found doing Cross-Country races over the Winter and hill training keeps my core muscles in pretty good shape anyway, but I found this book which is 'Pilates for Outdoor enthusiasts' and there are specific workouts good for runners (and ski-ers)...  I enjoy the stretches to ease any tightness anyway, but find it hard to fit this in around my work/training/races so just do as and when I remember... in front of the TV normally   I try and do the plank and crunches as part of my gym work-out but this is only once a week... 

....The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. They're there to stop the OTHER people.

Confessions of a Runaholic
                5km - 21.40 mins (Coventry Parkrun May 2010)
                10km - 43:50 (Oxford Town and Gown 10km May 2010)
                Half Mara - 1:36:14 (Tewkesbury Half May 2010)
                Marathon - 3:41:54 (Amsterdam Oct 2009)

I do core work:

Squats

Dead Lifts

Bench Press

Rows

Pull Ups

Military Press

2 sets x8 reps twice per week. If you want strength lift for strength.

+1

And this

If you want to work your abs watch the video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk_usVg7Fp0

It's only 6 minutes 3 times a week. This routine works for me. If you want more core work. Do squats, snatches and clinches.

jeffdonahue

my guess is you can double your push-up total. 

I doubt more than 2% of the people who try can go from 20 push-ups to 100 in 7 weeks.  If you are doing 20 now then I'd say you'll peak at 40.  That's no slam on you... just reality.  I gave up after 1 month.  I went from something like 16 to 28. 

I did that for about 5-6 weeks and went from about 28 pushups to 85 or so.  I just couldnt get any higher than that - plus I got bored with it.

I did that for about 5-6 weeks and went from about 28 pushups to 85 or so.  I just couldnt get any higher than that - plus I got bored with it.

Probably for the best.  Letting your muscles adapt to a particular exercise to the point that it is no longer of any benefit to you does not strike me as the best way to spend your time.  Presumably part (most?) of the reason people do that 100 pushups program is to gain strength; in my opinion, that is one of the worst ways of going about it. 

Unless, I suppose, you are a competitive pusher-upper.  Then carry on. 

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Together or in sets? And did it change how your upper chest and shoulders looked?

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Together or in sets? And did it change how your upper chest and shoulders looked?

Together. No.  (I expect his answers will be the same.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

SMART Approach

If you want to work your abs watch the video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk_usVg7Fp0

It's only 6 minutes 3 times a week. This routine works for me. If you want more core work. Do squats, snatches and clinches.

I watched this video and it was a class I instructed years ago when in fitness industry (BodyTight). We (I) used to do at least 10 minutes no stop. It brought back memories. My abs looked good but I was a bit leaner 15 years ago (5% fat) vs now (9-10% fat) but I think my abs are now more developed. I enjoyed doing those things but from a functional standpoint the benefits are limited because all your weight is laying on the floor. They become isolation exercises for abs and hip flexors with low back stabilizing. For a runner it doesn't have a lot of benefits.

I think exercises on your feet like the squats, lunges, wood chops etc are much better for core. I think snatches/deadlifts/heavy squats are just fine but we are talking about a fraction of individuals who will be doing them at proper form so I don't even introduce it. Planks and crunches on a ball are even better because feet are on ground and more balance involved. Any exercise that involves much of your body is ideal because the core and whole body is stabilizing. You also become pretty winded with a true core exercise. With all this being said, I still throw in some of that isolation stuff because I do like the isolated burn to finish off the abs.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Intentionally Blank

I did the hundred pushups and went from 9 pushups to about 50 withing 7 weeks or so.  Never did get to a hundred.  I did notice a difference in the definition of my arms and in my core strength. 

I've been doing p90x lately to improve my core.