VO2 max intervals & Heart Rate (Read 521 times)

So everything I read says that to improve VO2 max, one needs to do intervals at a pace that corresponds to 95% V02 max -- which in turn corresponds to @ 98-100% max HR. So Daniels and others provide target paces to improve for interval training. If I run at those paces, though, my HR does not get near 98% max. In fact, I'd have to run ridiculously fast paces (for me) to get there -- and then I just flame out. What gives? Should I run to hit 98% max HR or just stick to the recommended paces?
    mikeymike

It depends. If you're not running very much the best way to improve VO2max is simply to run more miles. Once you gut up over, say, 55 mpw, your improvements to VO2max from pure mileage are diminished and then you need to add intervals. As for the HR stuff I'm sure you'll get lots of replies with that but I'm no help there.

Runners run

Scout7

How did you determine your Max Heart Rate? How do you know what your VO2Max is? Train by pace or HR. It's tough to do both.

SMART Approach

Train by pace. Don't push to reach a certain HR. So many variables affect HR. Focus on pace.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

How did you determine your Max Heart Rate? How do you know what your VO2Max is? Train by pace or HR. It's tough to do both.
            I'm a big heart rate guy, so I've tracked it for years. I know that at the end of a 10k or 5k, when on the verge of chunking, I can hit 168. I have no idea what my Vo2 max is. I'm just trying to increase my ability to utilize some share of it as I prep for a mid April marathon. I chose to just go by pace, figuring it's better than blowing up. But I can't escape the nagging feeling that I could (should) go faster and I'm just being wimpy.