Chicago Marathon Qualifying Times?? (Read 151 times)

So when did Chicago start using qualifying times? I'm a former marathoner and after life changes and a bad heel spur injury i was aiming to come back to marathon running and since I did Chicago  before, five times, I was targeting that race for my come back.

mikeymike

The qualifying times allow you to bypass the lottery, but many (most?) people get in by lottery.

This system was in response to the crash of their registration system in March of 2013, which was the last time they used the first come first serve system.

Runners run

Got it !!

I'll be signing up today !!

Thanks mikeymike !!

Netizen Kane

I think they have a legacy runner scheme too - if you've run a few times before you may be eligible (I haven't; checked).

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

The qualifying times allow you to bypass the lottery, but many (most?) people get in by lottery.

This system was in response to the crash of their registration system in March of 2013, which was the last time they used the first come first serve system.

The difference with Chicago is that there are no age adjustments for qualifying. 3:15 for men, whether you're 19 or 99.  Not going to happen for me.

mikeymike

The difference?

Runners run

FSBD

Between Chicago and NYC. where the lottery bypass times are in fact age graded.

I think is what he meant, maybe.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

mikeymike

Huh. Ok, good to know.

Runners run

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Between Chicago and NYC. where the lottery bypass times are in fact age graded.

I think is what he meant, maybe.

Yeah, that's what I meant, NYC or Boston.