Hip ITBS... or something? (Read 829 times)

Jazz hands!

Well, I did something to my left hip. And now it hurts. I did a bunch of "research" on the internet and think it might be my IT band in my hip--it hurts when I walk, mainly when I put weight on it directly beneath my body. (Does that make sense?) The pain tends to be accompanied by a popping / snapping sensation that feels remarkably like a swollen tendon rubbing over a bone. Going up and down stairs hurts the most. My lower body has all sort of exciting structural issues--I'm pretty sure my legs are different lengths so my hips are probably out of whack, my right foot (but not my left!) is at a slight angle to my right knee, which makes me pronate, so I wear some serious motion control shoes (Brooks Addiction, with somewhere around 150 miles on them). I haven't run anything outlandishly long or fast lately (or even "over three miles" or "faster than 13mm") so I doubt it's overuse. I run on sidewalks, because I live in the city and my options are, "Run on the sidewalk" or "Don't run," but I'm quite good about alternating sides of the street. Am I gonna have to go to a doctor? Anything I should do in the meantime?
    run run run AHHHHHH run run run
    CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Hurts to walk and you hear popping/snapping? Yep, I would go to a doctor and get it checked out. Using the net and self diagnosing an injury you haven't had before probably isn't your best option. Finding out sooner what's wrong and appropriate steps to rehab/heal are going to get you back running sooner. How long ago did you hurt it?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Jazz hands!

How long ago did you hurt it?
        Yesterday! Though it's been feeling better since I posted this morning. And I can't actually hear the popping, just feel it if I put my hand there. MTA: it was feeling a little tweaky during my (3 mi) run yesterday, but didn't actually hurt until I got out of the shower post-run. The crappy part is that I'm kind of between doctors--I really don't like the old one (who tried to convince me I should have kids--yeah, no thanks, doc) and my switch to the new one isn't complete until aug 1. Technically I can still go to the old doctor, but "Oh, it's just tendinitis. When will you have kids?" doesn't hold a whole lot of appeal.
          I had ITBS problems this past fall and winter, and I was out for about a month. I'm no doctor so I can't say you have the same thing. My knee was hurting not my hip, but the band does run from your hip to your knee so it could be your ITB. If I would try and run on it I was alright for about the first mile then the pain would kick in and last for a few days. And just like you it was intense pain when I would walk up and down stairs. If it is indeed ITBS I would recommend staying off of it for at least a week or two and find ways to stretch and strengthen your hip during the next few weeks. Depending on just how much it hurts and if it hurts all the time or just during and after your run you may want to go to your doc. I hope all goes well so you can get back out running. I still try and remember to stretch my hips before runs so even if the pain goes away because whats the harm in having stronger hips.
          AnneCA

Hey Squeaky -- sorry to hear you're hurting. Where is the tendon-over-bone feeling? I've had ITBS that manifests at the hip, and it was right at the iliac crest. I kept thinking if I looked at the skin there, I would see a bruise. Do ITB stretches feel like they're stretching the part that's hurt? That was another sure sign for me. When I tried this stretch: it became clear the problem was hip ITB. But, yeah, no matter what, it sounds like you could benefit from seeing a doc. One other one who will recommend babies (what a PITA!). Good luck!

Jazz hands!

Anne--that stretch isn't doing anything now, but I did a bunch of them earlier today. It's not popping over my iliac crest, I think it's popping lower--maybe where the end of my femur sticks out a little, below the pelvis? Also, it's gotten a LOT better since this morning. Maybe I'll do some stretching and strengthening and get back to running, and if it happens again go to the (hopefully new by then) doctor.
                Hey M_Fetro, How did you resolve your ITBS? I stopped running for 10 days, but now have resumed 3 times a week for 30 minutes on treadmill with combo of run walk. Run at recovery pace. I am going to Physio once a week and massage bi-weekly. I am doing the stretching advised but still have the discomfort. I am now approaching 8 weeks with the injury. I use a foam roller daily and do ice baths after the workout. Any advice would be appreciated.
                  Chilidog it sounds like your are doing all the right things for your ITB to get better. Like I said it was about 1 month before I was ok to run on it. But being that it was during the Winter and I was not running nearly as much as I probably should have been, my ITB may not have fully recovered for 2 months. I was able to run on it but I rarely went over 3 miles and that was maybe 2-3 times a week. Where exactly are you having the pain?

Jazz hands!

So, I went running again Tuesday after about a week off. I did lots of IT stretching and hip adductor strengthening during the week, and it felt a little bit tweaky after the (two mile) run, but I think if I just keep stretching / working on the hips it'll be okay. Anyone got any good hip stretches I can do? I can tell they're really tight but I'm not quite sure how to fix that...