Off season marathon training (Read 134 times)

Flyingscotzman

I just ran a 3:28:58 marathon which should qualify me for Boston in 2021. Before then I would like to improve my time to sub 3:25:00. I am not usually organized and although I have finished 8 or 9 marathons I have never really followed a year round training plan, or cross trained.

What do you guys recommend as a good off season training plan.?

Run the same number of days per week as when marathon training, but reduce the volume - maybe 75% of the weekly mileage. Do some kind of workout once a week, to keep it interesting - VO2max intervals or LT or hills; same intensity but maybe fewer miles of the quality portion. Keep a longish run every week, but of course not as long. All this keeps up your base fitness level, so you can jump into a marathon training cycle the next time you need to.

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Let me preface this with my opinion of most canned plans that you see: they have have it backward with the highest mileage coming late in the schedule.  Spend the "off season" building your base and increasing your average weekly mileage.  The 3-4 months leading up to the marathon should be when you're working on your strength and speed with more MP, tempo, and interval work, though you shouldn't neglect the occasional long run.  Google Lydiard method.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

berylrunner

Rick

I have never been able to follow a plan because of my work schedule.   I just try to run as much as possible.   I did a high mileage block as an experiment last fall.  It worked.  PR marathon and lasting effects for 6 months even though I was not able to run much after the marathon.   So I am sold on just maintaining a big base.  In between marathons I do a lot of trail running and ultras.   I think fast hiking is good cross training and I do count those miles in my log.

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59

Seattle prattle

I can't recommend what you might consider doing for off-season marathon training, but i can tell you that by the time i finished a marathon cycle, i was so sick of that kind of training, i did anything but more marathon training.

From my experience, the main two things you would want to avoid is jumping into speed work too soon after the marathon - this resulted in several injuries for me. And second, don't start your next marathon cycle too soon (too many weeks out) because it results in serious over-training and cumulative fatigue.

For me, i would just take a break, work on speed gradually and any weaknesses, and do some different distances.

Running Problem

Problem Child

And update as to what you've been doing? All I can suggest after running a 3:28 is similar to those who have already given advice. Keep running the same number of days. Run a  similar amount of time. Keep up the longer runs on weekends. Something in the double digit range. Pick a smaller race distance to go for. I've never followed a year round training plan, but I've found it easier to maintain fitness for running marathons by keeping my weekly routine similar. I just peaked at 70 miles a week for about 2 months to train for a marathon and I'm now doing 40-45 miles a week. I understand for some this is their peak mileage for marathon training. It will help you improve if you just keep the mileage there, and get some speed work in.

Personally, I think finding another race to train for worked best for me. Coming from marathon training and jumping into a half marathon or shorter race you have the endurance and the speed work, while seemingly more painful, is the focus and just one day a week can make a big difference.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

I just ran a 3:28:58 marathon which should qualify me for Boston in 2021. Before then I would like to improve my time to sub 3:25:00. I am not usually organized and although I have finished 8 or 9 marathons I have never really followed a year round training plan, or cross trained.

What do you guys recommend as a good off season training plan.?

I would say that there is no off season for anyone that wants to improve in the Marathon.

It's a good opportunity to increase your mileage after about a three week recovery period from this one.  You have the freedom without an impending race coming up to bring your volume up and as you get used to it start bringing the pace down.

It's not complicated but it is no time to let up.

winterfire

You can do better...come on

runescape gold for sale osrs - rsgoldfast store

bhearn

What is this “off season” you speak of?

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

What is this “off season” you speak of?

The down time after a 6 day race.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K