Running in a hilly area (Read 499 times)

Pammie

Hello

I've not been here in absolute ages. Mainly because i've not been running on a regular basis. Lots of reasons not injured but the life stuff.

Anyhow things are getting back to some normality but i have moved. My old place was generally flat with some gentle undulations some hills that would take a bit of effort but nothingtoo crazy

So now i've moved there are hills longer bigger and i swear that i live in the lowest point in town so that means whatever way i head i have to go up, climb out of the place. But i'm taking it positively knowing it will help me, make me a strong runner. I've started running again on Jan 1st so its early days but was wondering how long it would take for the benefits to come about. Is it the usual 6 weeks you often see quoted when trying something new. I'm in no rush as my  base seriously dwindled and needs to be worked on again

So thats my first priority. I've not worn my HRM yet so dread to think what it is telling me. I was going to wait a few more weeks before i put it on again once i've built up the miles I did 20 miles last week and should be up for the same again this week

During my time away haven't been totally idle some bike rides nothing long and since the move (Nov) walking most days 2 miles to work and back or use the bike

Also anyone who has moved from a flat area to a hilly one would love to hear your experiences

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

I moved from a flat area of Fort Worth, TX to a hilly area of Austin, TX. Your not going to like what happened. Initially I ran solely in my neighborhood to save time, ~6-7x/week. Mistake. I also transitioned to minimal shoes (VFF Bikila's and Sprints) and BF at the same time, second mistake - both activities stress your calves and achilles - double whammy. Then after running the hills from July to early Dec (2010) I ran a very hilly challenging half marathon while wearing the VFF Bikilas - three strikes and yer out! Right Achilles and both calves were clobbered. Took awhile to realize the triple whammy I subjected my body to but I had to locate relatively level ground that I could reasonably drive to and join a gym to do at least one day/wk of cross training and very slow dreadmill walks. The morning heat this past summer, 2nd in Austin also drove me into gym for level runs on dreadmill. It took a good 6 months from when I realized what I had done for the calves to get better and allow me to run the neighborhood more often.

Good luck on making your transition to hills, hills, hills. You might consider extra rest days, and cross training, and dreadmills if available to avoid the problem I created for myself.

bob e v
      2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Hi Pammie Welcome back! I am completely convinced about the 6 week rule. When I started running about 6 years ago, I didn't feel or see any improvement for 6 weeks. This is the same today. The benefits of changes to my workout routine or my training take a long time to manifest even today. Having patience is important. Be in it for the long run! Smile

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Pammie

Thank you both

Bobev - How are you now hope you have recovered sounds brutal Will watch it i  know as i tend to have a dodgy calf

Rurunner thanks for the welcome back. Well 4 ekks to go then for me Smile

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

Pammie - Thanks for asking! Am fine now that I am listening to my body and have completed full transition to BF, socks and minimal shoes. Like this morning. Left leg wanted to cramp in the middle of the night so instead of planned 3hr long run (in prep for half in two weeks) I passed on it and did some yoga and floor exercises and will walk while shopping later today. Will cross train at gym tomorrow and not run until Tue morning. Just to be safe. I guess most important lesson is to listen to your body, which I didn't. My calves were sore every night I kept on running the hills...big mistake. Now if they ache at night I will not run the next morning. Being thick headed certainly didn't help too...LOL

bob e v
            2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.