Introduction (Read 512 times)

Hi everyone. I figure this is as good a time as any to quit lurking and make my first post.

Several months ago, after almost 20 years of sitting in front a computer screen, I started running again. Got sidetracked a couple of times since then, but eventually worked up to running a 5K two weeks ago. Ran it in 28:25, which isn't going to break any records, but was plenty ahead of my goal time of 30:00, so I was more than satisfied. Elated, actually.

Today, I ran over 5 miles for the first time since high school. I still kinda can't believe I did it. It felt great, and I'm excited knowing how much fitter I'm going to get over the coming months and years.

I want to say thank you to the community here. I won't bore you with the details, but I've sorted through pretty much every question, doubt, and setback I've had over the last few months by lurking here and reading the excellent advice you all give so freely. Today's 5 mile run was a direct result of the knowledge and inspiration I've gained by reading your posts.

I'd also like to say thanks to Eric for the awesomeness that is RA. I'm a web programmer myself, so I'm fully aware of the effort that this site requires to code and maintain. The outstanding log and charting features are a huge motivation for me, and I feel lucky to have found this site.

So, thanks everyone. I'm going to do my best not to go back into lurking mode. Smile

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Hi everyone. I figure this is as good a time as any to quit lurking and make my first post.

Welcome. As a lurker, you do know we expect race reports.Smile

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

That's great HO! Love to hear stories like that!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Feeling the growl again

Ran it in 28:25, which isn't going to break any records, 

Yes it will; YOURS.  And that's all that should matter.  This sport is a competition against one's self, and you just scored your first voctory.

Here's to many more.  Welcome aboard.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Welcome. As a lurker, you do know we expect race reports.Smile

You know, I wasn't going to post a race report, but since you asked... Smile  I was really happy with how the 5K went a couple of weeks ago, considering it was my first one in over 20 years. What I'm most proud of is that I didn't blow it by going out too fast; I felt in control the entire race. My splits were ridiculously even, and I had enough at the end for a bit of a kick. I really felt like I gave it everything I had, without losing control. Here's a bit of what I wrote in my notes from that day:

First 5K in 20+ years. Felt good! Cold, drizzly rain today. Not the best conditions but not horrible. Cold, clothing etc. not really an issue. Stats recorded are chip timing, Garmin stats below: 

3.14 miles, 28:17 (9:01 pace) 

Mile 1: 9:03.5 
            Mile 2: 9:05.6 
            Mile 3: 9:05.5 
            0.14: 1:02.3 (7:35 pace) 

Nice consistent splits! And left some to kick at the end! Gonna be faster next time!

My 11 year old son and 5 year old daughter both ran the kids' 1 mile after the 5K. I ran/walked with my daughter. She was second to last, but didn't care, because she got a huge cheer and a medal at the end. I think she was just as happy as I was. Smile