Sub-20 Goal for 5k (2012) (Read 5412 times)

RootieKazootie

Thanks for the advice Tchuck.

posted: 08/04/2012 at 2:50 AM

I decided to run a time trial on low mileage hoping that my 18 mile weeks would give me a boost from the rest.

I wanted to go under 7 minute miles and figured that would not be too difficult despite my 3.31 mile race a couple weeks ago at 7:11 pace.

From this past Tuesday's 6 X 800 interval workout I knew what 7:00 per mile pace felt like so that helped.

I hit a half mile in 3:23 & there was a long uphill in that stretch so I felt good.

I tried not to increase the speed but the next half mile has a long downhill so I hit a mile in 6:39

I felt this would really give me a nice cushion to staying ahead of sub 7.

But I knew that was probably too fast for my ability.

I tried to take it easier and stay under 7 but my next couple half miles came in at 3:31 and 3:32.

I felt okay but was becoming worse as the 2nd mile went on. I was at 2 miles in 13:42 and thought sub 7 was in the bag but did not want to run another 7 minute final mile so tried to find some in the tank for the last half mile.

I ran the 5th half mile in 3:33 which put me at 17:15 elapsed.

I came through 2.75 miles in 18:52 which really pleased me & was surprising.

The 3 mile mark went by in 20:31 and uphill to the finish at 21:12.

Sub 21 is in sight for sure. Had I really put the throttle down the last half mile it would have been close but I realized I was just a little behind sub 21 when I hit 2.75 so I kept it in check.

6:39, 7:03 and 6:49 mile splits. Total time 21:12.

Good run Michigan. Got to be happy with that off low mileage. Just 12 secs away from

your goal, less than 50 yards.

Fell a little short yesterday, official time:  20:27

I stayed right with a group of 4 other guys who typically go sub-20 (or close).  In fact, I beat two of them who owned me most of last year.  Turns out, none us broke 20:00.

Garmin Splits:  6:27, 6:28, 6:37, and 0:52 (for the final .15 mile).  The beginning of the 3rd mile has most of the elevation gain and starts with a nasty 50ft hill that goes up-n-down in less than .2 miles.  That hill has been my nemesis on this course.

The course might have been a touch long (I was very careful running the tangents) according to several of the guys - but it's well within error, and another reason to be more fit next time around (my average heart rate was 189 for the last mile - Shocked).  I'm a little bummed though, the weather was perfect for the attempt, and based on the garmin and the 13:00 2nd mile split I heard called - I thought I was a little closer.

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

I stayed right with a group of 4 other guys who typically go sub-20 (or close).  In fact, I beat two of them who owned me most of last year.  Turns out, none us broke 20:00.

Garmin Splits:  6:27, 6:28, 6:37, and 0:52 (for the final .15 mile).  The beginning of the 3rd mile has most of the elevation gain and starts with a nasty 50ft hill that goes up-n-down in less than .2 miles.  That hill has been my nemesis on this course.

The course might have been a touch long (I was very careful running the tangents) according to several of the guys - but it's well within error, and another reason to be more fit next time around (my average heart rate was 189 for the last mile - Shocked).  I'm a little bummed though, the weather was perfect for the attempt, and based on the garmin and the 13:00 2nd mile split I heard called - I thought I was a little closer.

13 minutes puts you right on the bubble for sub 20.

A hill can always creep up on you and ruin your time though.

I would be more suspicious if the Garmin came in at less than 3.106.

A 3.15 sounds pretty close. You ran only a few hundreds of a mile extra (like 175 feet or so).

I would imagine even on a track you are running a couple extra feet every lap as its impossible to run the tangent as laid out.

I am impressed by your mile times all being so close. You seem to have the sense of pacing that you need nailed.

189 heart rate for the last mile. I would not be too alarmed by that. The main thing is did you feel good enough to still have something there for the finish or did you feel you were slowing in that last quarter of a mile?

RootieKazootie

I would take a lot of encouragement from that performance. Splitting 4 sub 20 (and close) guys

tells its own story. It's likely the hill and long course affected them too. You must be very near

sub 20 on a flat course of correct length.

I took Tchucks advice and done 15 minutes walking on the treadmill at 1 to 5% incline. It was

tough, i don't even breathe that hard on my long run. But hopefully i've got my foot in the door.

Will have to live my running through you guys for a bit, so keep the reports coming please.

The main thing is did you feel good enough to still have something there for the finish or did you feel you were slowing in that last quarter of a mile?

I was struggling a bit after the hill.  You go straight up (seems like) 50 ft then back down flying since its just as steep coming back down.  Then there is a slight gain (30ft or so) until the final .25, which is flat.  I was basically fighting to hold my pace until I could see the finish line, then I picked it up.  I'm sure I could have kicked earlier (from a physical standpoint), but mentally it was too tough until I could "smell" the finish line.  Like I read before (from you I think) - I need to "train up" to smash this thing, and take any variables out of play.  Right now, 3rd mile hills really hurt me.  I ran 20:05 last December with a downhill mile 3.  Since then, I have 20:18 and now 20:27 on courses with 3rd mile hills.

On July 4, there is another race on nearly the same course - but they take the steep hill out.  That's my best chance before the worst of the heat kicks in.  I may try something in May though....we'll see.

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

I was struggling a bit after the hill.  You go straight up (seems like) 50 ft then back down flying since its just as steep coming back down.  Then there is a slight gain (30ft or so) until the final .25, which is flat.  I was basically fighting to hold my pace until I could see the finish line, then I picked it up.  I'm sure I could have kicked earlier (from a physical standpoint), but mentally it was too tough until I could "smell" the finish line.  Like I read before (from you I think) - I need to "train up" to smash this thing, and take any variables out of play.  Right now, 3rd mile hills really hurt me.  I ran 20:05 last December with a downhill mile 3.  Since then, I have 20:18 and now 20:27 on courses with 3rd mile hills.

On July 4, there is another race on nearly the same course - but they take the steep hill out.  That's my best chance before the worst of the heat kicks in.  I may try something in May though....we'll see.

What works really well for me is doing interval training of 5 X 1 kilometer around 4:00 per interval.

Then having a rest break between each one...probably around 1 minute of rest.

If you are in 20 minute shape you should be able to hold on to that pace through the sets.

This is usually best done with a group to keep you motivated but that means you have to find people who are your speed.

Based on your reply the 189 probably maxed you out and you could not go any faster. When you max out that's pretty much all she wrote about finding any extra gear. I am 39 years old and I don't know if I go much above 180 very much on the HR though different runners can have different heart rates.

I think of myself as a good hill runner. Not that I run hills fast just that I know how to run them. Tell yourself you are a good hill runner and you have won half the battle. I let other runners run the hills hard. I just run them at a consistent effort if that makes sense. I run them at the same effort as the rest of the race. Then when I hit the top I let gravity pull me down fast. I don't stride out but I definately pick up the pace quite a bit with not much work.

MY 5k pb was 21:27 at the start of the year, so my aim was to go sub-21. But I've done that so can now try to join this club. Current best 20:43. After my marathon mid-May I will give this a real go over the summer.

Prince of Fatness

Hey Troy, you can take me off of the list (MrPHinNJ).  I am back on the shelf for who knows how long and cannot see making it to sub 20, at least not this year.

Thanks for organizing the thread.

Not at it at all. 

RootieKazootie

I'm struggling too after a chest infection. Glad to be running again but am surprised how

much fitness i've lost after 3 weeks off. Before i got ill i was doing 9 consecutive miles at

7:00 during a 10.5 mile run, with gas in the tank at the end. Last night i could only manage

5 miles at 7:30 to 7:10 pace, and it was getting very uncomfortable at the end Dead

Trying not to get too down about it, but it hurts.

19:49 today - a slight improvement on this season's best for me - still a little way to go to catch up with last year.

SMART Approach

Won a 5k today. Obviously, a smaller race. Felt good to win a race and a $50 gift card was winning prize. Time was 20:05. May have been a tad short. Probably in 20:20 shape but feel I can do this later this year. Splits were 637, 637, 631 and fast sprint finish. Can't say I felt great and also had no one to catch ahead of me to push it even harder. I pulled away the last 1.5 miles as I am a strong finisher.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Rootie, thats still pretty good fitness. Get well; don't sabotage your recovery. Congrats pr100 and Tchuck.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

SMART Approach

Good job PR!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

hairshirt knitter

YAAASSSS! 19:48 at our tiny local Spartan 5k. Good for third overall and first AG (40-49). To say that I'm pleased is an understatement. Unfortunately, I didn't take splits. I wasn't planning to push too hard today - I have 5k races three weeks in a row, so next week or the week after was really my goal, but I'll take this...

Can I go faster? Yes, I think so. Km 1, 2 and 3 I was running within myself, km 4 I made up a place to 2nd, but started to huff and puff. Km 5, I lost a place and felt that I started to struggle a bit. The lost place was a cert, but I held on to my 3rd. There's a nasty rise in the last 100m, which was tough!

Friend (winner) and I ran a 14k after the awards as we both have longer goals and Sunday races play havoc with weekly mileage. Was a good option in fact, though I feel nicely beat now.

I have a half-marathon in three weeks - though not a goal race, so not quite sure whether to train through these other two 5k races, or see if I can bring that 5k time down a bit more. What do you reckon?

SMART Approach

Nice job! I would not race 4 times in 4 weeks. Maybe take a run at the 5K next week again but no racing the weekend after unless 5Ks are your focus and you don't care if you don't do your best in the half or do it as more of a training run BUT, 4 races in 4 weeks is not the ideal situation to run your strongest "half".