Lincoln, NE Marathon (Read 164 times)

joescott

What do you know about it?  Pros and Cons?  Fast?  Typical weather?  Would you recommend it?

(Just thinking & planning ahead a little bit and too lazy to Google / marathonguide.  Besides probably better opinions here on RA).

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

This is my hometown marathon.  I have run the full four times and the half once.  I don't have any experience with other marathons, so don't look to me for comparisons.  I guess you'd call it a moderate sized event, with 12000 participants, 10000 in the half and 2000 in the full.  They've been running it since the 1970s, so they have plenty of experience, and it's very well run and well supported by the community.  I think the course is fairly easy, on good streets and trail, and only moderate hilliness.  The start of the race can be a bit congested at first, but runners get strung out fairly quickly.  Weather the past five years has been ideal, ranging from 42F to 68F.

If you want to register, better be ready on New Year's Day, because last year the half sold out in a few hours, and the full within a few days.

Let me know if you're coming to town!

Jeff F

Free Beer

The only marathon I have done that has staws in the cups at the aid stations.

Course is relatively flat  and it is a well run event.

i would recommend doing it.  If you are looking to get another state do Lincoln over Omaha .

Hoban-Jay

...too lazy to give a review...just look it up on marathonguide.com !!!

joescott

Thanks for the input, guys.  (Except you StellarSjayjaySS Joking )!

LedLincoln, great to know that the event sells out quickly -- extremely important intel, that.  I think I'm tentatively going to plan on it and think it over until Jan 1.

- Joe

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Update on my note about registration:  This year, the full and the half register at the same time, in the same numerical cutoff (12500), so it could be sold out within a very few hours after 12:01 am, January 1.  Get your New Year's kiss and run to the computer!

Hoban-Jay

Thanks for the input, guys.  (Except you StellarSjayjaySS Joking )!

LedLincoln, great to know that the event sells out quickly -- extremely important intel, that.  I think I'm tentatively going to plan on it and think it over until Jan 1.

I was born a smart-ass and will die a smart-ass...  and all those year in-between the two...well, you can figure out for yourself!

joescott

Update on my note about registration:  This year, the full and the half register at the same time, in the same numerical cutoff (12500), so it could be sold out within a very few hours after 12:01 am, January 1.  Get your New Year's kiss and run to the computer!

10-4!

Will you be running it (HM or full monty) again this year?  To your earlier note, love to meet you if you'll be around.  Maybe we could grab some carbs the night before, eh?

- Joe

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

10-4!

Will you be running it (HM or full monty) again this year?  To your earlier note, love to meet you if you'll be around.  Maybe we could grab some carbs the night before, eh?

For sure, hope to meet you, neighbor.

I expect to be volunteering for this one, as I will have run Boston two weeks prior.

joescott

I expect to be volunteering for this one, as I will have run Boston two weeks prior.

Nice!!  Congrats!  That's a pretty good one for your first one outside the fine state of Nebraska!

- Joe

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yep, I'm excited!

Mysecondnewname

Hi, Joe:

Sent you a PM regarding the race.

flatland mountaineer

I haven't done it but have heard good things about Lincoln, but if you want to get out of the city try Sandhills or ScottsBluff..........

MTA

Best Little Marathon in Nebraska is now open. http://www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=2123187

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Arimathea

Tessa

I did it last May. Not a bad marathon. First half is much easier than the second -- the first half is a big loop around the central part of the city, then the second half is an out and back out to and up a dam then back down.

Nice finish in the stadium.

Spectators were exceptionally friendly and enthusiastic.

Reasonably well organized and planned -- if you are in the gym beforehand head downstairs to the locker rooms to use the restroom rather than joining the incredibly lengthy queue on the main level.

I have a race report in Word if you want to read it.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

BTW, registration opened 42 minutes ago, and will probably fill up in a few hours, so hurry!  http://www.lincolnmarathon.org/