Peroneal tendon injury? (Read 1220 times)

Burninated Peasant

A couple months ago, toward the end of one of my long runs, I rolled my left ankle off the sidewalk while trying to go around somebody. I caught myself with my right foot kind of awkwardly. The left ankle is fine, but I've been having pain behind the bump on the outside of the right ankle. There was never any swelling or discoloration associated with it. The pain extends maybe an inch up the leg and just a little bit down on the top of my foot. After looking at a few sites, it looks like the pain corresponds with the location of the peroneal tendons, but I can't seem to find any information on how I should expect it to heal, whether I should continue to run (or maybe I saw something I didn't like and ignored it...), etc. I've kept running on it, and it's not normally very painful if I avoid sharp turns and uneven surfaces, but I kind of expected that it would be healed by now. Also, my right leg seems to have soreness after some workouts when my left leg does not, so I'm worried that I might be unconsciously compensating for the pain. Has anyone else had something like this? What kind of treatment did you end up needing, if any? I'm hesitant to go to the doctor before El Scorcho, since I've already paid for it and don't want to hear the doc tell me not to run.
    Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I'm hesitant to go to the doctor before El Scorcho, since I've already paid for it and don't want to hear the doc tell me not to run.
      Spoken like a true fanatic. Wink
      Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

Along for the Ride

I am having the same issue. I rolled my left ankle when I was 10 and then again in 2002. Last year I had a backinjury and due to that I am still using my left side more than my right. Here is what I did: deep tissue massage. The therapist found that my calves are extremely tight. This can cause additional pull on the peroneus tendon. "Flushes" - start with heat for 15 minutes and then cold for 15 minutes. This apparently helps with old injury and inflammation. Stretch REALLY well before and after (I bought the stick). Warm up and cool down (didn't use to). I still have it, and after a run I have a hard time stepping on the foot in the morning. But I will continue the things I've mentioned. Good luck to you!

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Burninated Peasant

I am having the same issue. I rolled my left ankle when I was 10 and then again in 2002. Last year I had a backinjury and due to that I am still using my left side more than my right.
          Whoa! Ok, that's the kind of thing that I would like to avoid. I don't mind continuing to run on the injury for a few more months, but if this is something that would keep going for years, I think I'd like to see if there's something the doc can do to get it fixed sooner.

Along for the Ride

I need to clarify - I don't have the pain all the time. Only if I run. When I had to stop running because of back injury for 6 months - my ankle was fine. Since I started training regularly again, it has been an issue. I think this is caused by scar tissue building up. Which is normal for any healing process. Try the flushes and massage (I LOVE the stick). My issue seems to be the peroneus muscle pulling on the tendon when I run a lot ... so the massages and stretching take care of that. In fact I used the stick several times last night and felt IMMEDIATE relief. The overall goal is to break up scar tissue (deep tissue massage)and strenghten the injured ankle. Draw the alphabet with your toes, pick up towels with your toes, stand on one leg (eyes open and then eyes closed). The last really trains your balance muscles. With a strong ankle you can avoid rolling it again. I had two sessions of deep tissue massage and the therapist found that overall my calves were really tight (left > right) and she found all kinds of scar tissue in my left ankle which was slightly reducing the range of motion. Breaking into that hurts bad, but feels so much better afterwards. Maybe your doc can make sure there is no structural damage (hairline fracture, ligament tear) and then prescribe PT or massage? Best of luck!

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.