Getting dizzy on SHORT runs. (Read 1294 times)

pitrunner

Is low fat dairy out???

Yeah, no dairy. But I make a delicious shake from PB, soymilk, spinach and bananas. Maybe I'll try drinking this in the evenings before I go running.

DirtyGraceFlint

The Crap Whisperer

Yeah, no dairy. But I make a delicious shake from PB, soymilk, spinach and bananas. Maybe I'll try drinking this in the evenings before I go running.

That sounds good and very healthy...hopefully it will give  you some extra energy and take care of the dizzy stuff. If not, def head to the doc!

Being the best tiny spec that I can be!

maybe I am missing something here, but what is your height & weight?  By your profile picture you look pretty healthy & the right weight. You don't of course have to share personal information to the world (women are more sensitive about this, I know because I/ve been married to one for 25+ yrs & have 2 daughters).  But what does your doctor say about the right weight for you??
        pitrunner

maybe I am missing something here, but what is your height & weight?  By your profile picture you look pretty healthy & the right weight. You don't of course have to share personal information to the world (women are more sensitive about this, I know because I/ve been married to one for 25+ yrs & have 2 daughters).  But what does your doctor say about the right weight for you??

Ain't no shame in my game...

I'm 5'4 and somewhere between 136 and 138 pounds (depending on the day). I've lost 70 pounds over the last 2 years and would still like to lose a few more. My doctor hasn't really chimed in about what an ideal weight would be but he hasn't expressed any concern over the amount that I've lost, and really, according to my stats I still have room to lose a lot more.

Well I guess it's worth a try. I was injured in June/July and wasn't exercising as much as I'd liked to - funny thing is, I managed to lose weight. Now that I'm getting back from injury and exercising more, I can't lose a stinking pound!

I'm no doctor or nutritionist, but I have a possible explanation for that.

Assuming your eating the same amount now as you did then, you may have been losing weight with less exercise because you were taking in enough calories to keep your metabolism going strong. When you increase the exercise and end up with a large caloric deficiency (from the increased exercise and sustain calorie intake) your body may be slowing your metabolism and going into starvation mode to protect itself, and not allowing you to lose weight.

That also may be why your getting a little light headed. That could be your body telling you to take it easy or add more fuel to the engine.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

burnt toast said exactly what I was thinking.  Our bodies are amazing machines & will do everything it can to protect itself as BT explained.  If body is confused about not getting enough fuel for energy or when it is going to be refueled it will slow itself down. Still concerned about your protein intake.   Minimal amt for general non-athlete is .8 grams per kilo of body weight daily & spread out over day.   136/2.2=  62.  62 x .8= 49  But multiply by moderate excercise. 49 x 1.4 =68 grams daily.  approx.   My thought is to up your calories by adding the missing protein & keep rest of your daily nutrition same as have been doing.   Adding a 2nd one of your shakes may be the difference ??   Drinking one 1/2 hr- hour before you run is worth trying as well.  let us know how it works.
              pitrunner

UPDATE: It's been 2 years since my original post and I'm still experiencing the same problems. I've tried everything recommended (which has caused me to gain 10 pounds) and nothing has helped.

I've been to a GP and and endocrinologist and nothing has turned up fishy on any of the tests or bloodwork that I've been given. What I really think would help is to go somewhere where I can be put on a treadmill and analyzed as my symptoms are happening. It would be super simple to bring on an "episode"...all I would have to do is take some sport beans, a gu...really anything.

So my question is - what type of doctor or facility am I looking for? It seems when I just look for "sports medicine" I get hits for orthopedics and re-hab type facilities.

Anyone have any suggestions? I am really at my wits end here.

#artbydmcbride

Inner ear?

Runners run

A stress-test EKG would be my first stop... 2 years ago. 

If it isn't anything heart related I still don't think you are eating enough.

Granted I'm a bit bigger than you (6-3, almost 200) but when I was tracking it trying to take a few pounds off I was eating 3000-3500 calories per day, pushing 4000 on a few days here and there, meanwhile losing weight which meant I was still burning more than I was taking in.  At the time I was running 25-30 miles per week and playing hockey once or twice a week....if I was running more I would probably eat even more.

I've had similar feelings you have when I was severely overtrained (too many hard miles and no rest) but if I only ate 1200-1500 calories per day - which I often have by the time I'm having dessert at lunch - I would probably feel the same way you do!

Good luck!

HappyFeat

It would be super simple to bring on an "episode"...all I would have to do is take some sport beans, a gu...really anything.

Anyone have any suggestions? I am really at my wits end here.

So, are you saying (above) that you can bring on an episode by eating something like the gu or sport beans while running?

If so, is that the only time it happens?

(There is a point to my questions, really.Smile I have some personal experience with stomach issues causing exactly the symptoms you first described.)

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

pitrunner

So, are you saying (above) that you can bring on an episode by eating something like the gu or sport beans while running?

If so, is that the only time it happens?

(There is a point to my questions, really.Smile I have some personal experience with stomach issues causing exactly the symptoms you first described.)

Yes! I will PM you if you don't mind!