Is there such a thing as luck? (Read 1016 times)

Holland, MI.  Lots of Christian Reformed and Reformed Church of America institutions... Tongue

Go Calvin!

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

I pick up worms off the wet pavement and toss them into the grass (as long as there is not too many) when I'm out running after a rain. Not sure if I've gotten any payback on that. (Maybe worms don't count.)

MTA before SRL chimes in and says of course worrms are bad at math.

When it's raining there's a reason those worms are taking a walk.  They are trying to avoid drowning.  You probably are just changing the mode of their demise by tossing them back into the grass.  

there is definitely no such thing as luck.  or absolutes. 

xor

When I think of worms, I think of the dancing thingies in Eraserhead.

When it's raining there's a reason those worms are taking a walk.  They are trying to avoid drowning.  You probably are just changing the mode of their demise by tossing them back into the grass.  

Yeah I know they are getting out of saturated ground, but they'll either get squashed by a car or shrivel up when it drys out. Maybe I should put them all in my pocket and take them home to the garden.

Yeah I know they are getting out of saturated ground, but they'll either get squashed by a car or shrivel up when it drys out. Maybe I should put them all in my pocket and take them home to the garden.

twins!!!!  ok, I don't put them in my pocket, but I've moved my share :-)  

- Anya

are you serious? 

- Anya

#artbydmcbride

I even save the worms swimming in the gutter....and take them all to live in my compost heap behind the house.   Smile  Wormy heaven.

Runners run

I guess I was wrong http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-earthworms-surface-after-rain

Thank god! I was worried :-)

Very interesting, thanks!

- Anya

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Go Calvin!

Heh, Calvin College is in nearby Grand Rapids! Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Interesting about the worms...

lottery tickets: there used to be this ad campaign for them in Canada, I can't remember all the details, except for "just imagine......the dream.....".  Anyway, the point of the ad was, WE know you won't win, YOU know you won't win, but for 2 bucks you can dream about winning millions.  Being blunt about it I guess.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Imminent Catastrophe

Here's my philosophy:

Shit happens. Or not.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I guess I was wrong http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=why-earthworms-surface-after-rain

Mole vibrations / migration- wow.......we need more research dollars here.