Goal of sub 17 minute 5k (Read 8285 times)

Why is it sideways?

I'll toss some workouts out there too for anyone interested. I think I'm on track for sub 17 on 4/25. Last week: Repetition session - 1600/1200/800/400/4x200, fast, very long recoveries (3:30-4:00) Tempo - 4.5 mile (4 x 1.15 mile loop) This week (plan): Interval session - 4 to 5x1000, 5k goal pace, 90 sec recoveries Tempo - 4.5 mile (4 x 1.5 mile loop) Starting to kick up total weekly miles as well. Miles have been low for injury prevention. I've been doing low miles, high intensity, lots of recovery. The idea was to supplement with good chunk of cycling, but I haven't been able to motivate myself to get on the bike much. I feel like I'm safely handling this level of training now, so I'm just going to start sprinkling in the running miles.
    Dude, so awesome to see you working your way back.
      Welcome pfetro, your 5:01 for 1600m time trial bodes well for sub 17.
      Thanks Mikey...with my big bump in mileage this year I think sub-17 is pretty realistic. I'm focusing on a half marathon first though. Best of luck at Boston.
        Sub-17 in the 5k? Count me in! Not sure what happened, but since the last 5k I ran (17:20, Feb. 1st) my running's been struggling. Just now starting to string together a little decent mileage. My plan is to build until at least early May, then run a benchmark 5k to see where I am. At that point, I'll toss some quality sessions into the mix and see where that takes me by June or so.
        Mishka-old log

Dude, so awesome to see you working your way back.
          Thanks, man!
            Yeah Mishka, I'm psyched for April 25th. And...dude.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Run some, about half easy, the other half seek hell.

Lazy idiot

I'm just pissed I'm not going to be at the finish line to watch. MTA: Mishka, it's not alive.

Tick tock

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Dude. That just gave me horrifying flashbacks to my own "Track meet" workout. (3200-1600-800-400-200-100). But you guys ran shorter recoveries than I did. I'm about to throw up in my mouth. You are ready, Mishka.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Non ducor, duco.

Mishka rocks. Come down and show me how to do this damn track thing.
                    jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Mishka rocks. Come down and show me how to do this damn track thing.
                      Run really fast. Rest briefly. Repeat until vomiting occurs.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

flovesparko

Run really fast. Rest briefly. Repeat until vomiting occurs.
                        how very true!
                        Mishka-old log

A buddy of mine (and fellow RAer) suggested that I wasn't ready to be a marathoner. Or rather, that the training I was attempting to do just didn't fit the runner I've always been. Over a couple of giant burritos, he suggested going back to the training that's worked for me. Forget the marathon (for now), run fast, run hard, recover, stay healthy and have fun. I'm training like I did in HS right now. And it's a blast! I think it's working as well as it is without base miles, or really much cross training, because of staying with something (running, swimming, cycling) for the last 16-1/2 years. I haven't taken more than a 3 month stretch off at a time since I was 14 years old. I'm working off of a huge lifetime endurance base. I'm interested to see how well it really does work. How close can I get to 5k potential (whatever that is) without much volume? My fitness is improving in chunks right now, and until those chunks become little tiny slivers, I'm sticking with this.
                          jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I'm interested to see how well it really does work. How close can I get to 5k potential (whatever that is) without much volume? My fitness is improving in chunks right now, and until those chunks become little tiny slivers, I'm sticking with this.
                            Reminds me of one of my old adventures in training: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/2000/Forum/Post/8977d214359b45f395ab554af878c598 Now granted, I was 24. But I started the year off heavy and out of shape, and by the time I reached the summer, I was definitely close to sub-17 shape. On low miles, but a good amount of intensity. I believe for a race as short as a 5k, you can approach your potential (but not quite get all the way there).

Week of 3/23: 76 miles. Two really good workouts: 1.) 13.2 miles including 10 x 1200 2.) 19 miles with lots of hills early and a 4+ mile tempo run late. 3 weeks to Boston. I might try and squeeze in a 5k between now and then just to get a baseline for when I start to focus on 5k's post marathon.

Runners run

Len

Damn Yankee

March was my first 200 mile month since high school. I've got a long way to go for sub 17, but I'm on my way. Thinking about entering a 5k in Shreveport Saturday just to get an idea of where I'm at.

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. Carl Bard