Can't import RW Data (Read 608 times)

Bottle Opener

When I try and import my Runner's World log I get the message that the file can't be unzipped.  I'm not sure if it is the .zip containing the xml or the tab delimited or both.  Is there something I am missing?  I've tried unzipping the files I get from RW and zipped them myself but I get the same error message when I try and import.

Racing for Beer & Glory

http://www.roadkillracing.com

StepbyStep-SH

I am encountering the same problem, trying to move my information over from the Runner's World log. I hope that RA can help us out, because there may be a number of people looking to do the same thing.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Proudfoot

I got it to half-work.

When you backup data from the RW log, you have two options:

• Tab delimited (Microsoft Excel compatible)
        • XML (ideal for backups)

Save both of those to your computer. Note that both of those are *.zip files.

Next, you have to unzip them manually and save the contents somewhere outside of the *.zip file. You will have three files now. One *.xml ("log.xml") and two *.txt files ("log.txt" and "intervals.txt").

This is the part that only half-works... when trying to upload to the RA log, it asks you for one "xml" file and one "tab delimited" file. Pop in the only *.xml that you have, and the *.txt called "log.txt" and it will upload all of your workouts.

The problem is, the second *.txt file contains your interval workout details... so when I go to view any workout that was labelled as an interval, none of my interval times/dists/notes appear. I tried a couple of ways to upload that separately... but none successful so far...

Help?

eric :)

Hi guys,

Could you send me the files at support@runningahead.com so I can take a look?  I'm guessing RW changed something that's preventing the importer from reading the files properly.

What kind of changes are happening at RW that are causing you to look for a new log?

eric Smile

I have fixed the problem.  RW's version of the training log uses an old zip compression library, which creates a non-standard compliant header.  I switched to the zip compression library provided by Microsoft a month ago that should be more compliant to the zip standard.  It detected the discrepancy and refused to continue.  I modified the code to use the old zip library for RW files, which should allow you to import RW's data files.

eric Smile

xor

BTW, RWOL shipped a whole new site last night.  Except for their message boards which remain offline today (after being promised weeks ahead of time that the process would take "a few hours", heh).  Dunno if they biffed with the old Eric log or not.

Dunno if they biffed with the old Eric log or not.

They seemed to have ditched it completely in favor of Training Peaks.  Once again, great marketing wins out.

From what I was told, the basic version of the TP log is free, but if you want anything, such as a summary page, equipment tracking and probably most other features, you'll have to pay $80 a year for it.  This is why I've been getting emails and posts about importing RW data.

In a way, I'm a little sad that they're getting rid of the old log.  It would have worked out better for both RW and RA if they worked with me to handle their training log.  I know they're being shafted by TP (as in TP does not respond to RW's requests once the migration is complete).  It has happened before and it will happen again.

I am curious to see how many users think $80 is too much money.  Hey, RA's log has been free since it went live almost a decade ago and it is the only full feature log that is still free.  So RW users, come on over.  There is plenty of room in my servers to handle everyone.

xor

If and when the trusty (or is it "trusty") pluck-based RWOL board rises from the grave, I assure you that there will be word-of-mouth marketing.

If and when the trusty (or is it "trusty") pluck-based RWOL board rises from the grave, I assure you that there will be word-of-mouth marketing.

I don't know who runs their IT operations.  I've done several major upgrades on RA, including moving to brand new servers in a new data center some 3000 miles away and the down times were still less than an hour. Granted, they have more users than me, but they also have a team of IT staff that are supposed to be experts.

xor

It is because they do not employ me.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

It is because they do not employ me.

I don't think you would be a good fit.  I mean that as a compliment.

Pasadena Runner

They seemed to have ditched it completely in favor of Training Peaks.  Once again, great marketing wins out.

From what I was told, the basic version of the TP log is free, but if you want anything, such as a summary page, equipment tracking and probably most other features, you'll have to pay $80 a year for it.  This is why I've been getting emails and posts about importing RW data.

In a way, I'm a little sad that they're getting rid of the old log.  It would have worked out better for both RW and RA if they worked with me to handle their training log.  I know they're being shafted by TP (as in TP does not respond to RW's requests once the migration is complete).  It has happened before and it will happen again.

I am curious to see how many users think $80 is too much money.  Hey, RA's log has been free since it went live almost a decade ago and it is the only full feature log that is still free.  So RW users, come on over.  There is plenty of room in my servers to handle everyone.

Training Peaks Premium is actually $119 a year.  Yes that's too much.  I migrated my data to the free version.  It was not smooth at all.  In addition to the fact that it lost my maximum HR data (minimum and average came over OK), it doesn't calculate pace for the imported workouts.  And, while it brought over my shoes, it didn't connect them with workout data.  So, all my shoes show zero mileage.   I have no intention of backfiling all that missing data. 

I am also very disappointed that there is no summary page - at least not in the free version. I like being able to see my total mileage for the last several weeks or months.  On top of that, you apparently need the premium version to export data.  I occasionally do that, because I created a Microsoft Access database that I connect to the exported data.  That lets me do some other data crunching.

This is a major goof on RW's part.   About the only plus I can see with Training Peaks is that you can upload from a GPS watch - which the old log could not do.  But, I can live without that.  I can't see myself fixing the missing/incomplete data.  And, I'm not going to pay $119/year for a summary page.  I like what I see here at RunningAhead.   So, I think this will be my new home.

xor

If your GPS watch is a garmin, you can do that here too.  For free.

xor

Just for fun, the RWOL boards have now been down 25 hours.  But their oops page still says

The upgrade process will take several hours, but we promise that it will be worth the wait.

Yeah buddy.

Bottle Opener

Great, thanks for fixing it!  With RW's free log going away and the forums down there isn't much reason to go there anymore. 

Racing for Beer & Glory

http://www.roadkillracing.com