I want to run a marathon in under 4 hours and I'm struggling. (Read 278 times)

T Hound

Slower but happier

You guys should start a sub 4 thread, maybe theres others.  Helps with accountability and motivation.

I've got a first marathon coming up myself where I'm also hoping to break 4 hours. I've made up my own plan based on how I like to do things. Wink All I can really say to you at this point is good luck!

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

You guys should start a sub 4 thread, maybe theres others.  Helps with accountability and motivation.

I think a sub 4 thread on here would be a great idea and attract a lot more posters and more race training discussion.

Some of the original RA folk left in disgust when RWOL invaded here with goal threads. Us and them mentality lol. Very sad. 😁

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

watsonc123

That was so strange that people got angry with sub X threads.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Joann Y

I think a sub 4 thread on here would be a great idea and attract a lot more posters and more race training discussion.

Some of the original RA folk left in disgust when RWOL invaded here with goal threads. Us and them mentality lol. Very sad. 😁

Ha! I didn't go anywhere and I don't know anyone that left. You jacks just take some getting used to. You're not over it yet, huh? 

mikeymike

Lolz. Right because there were no goal threads on here before the RWOL migration.

Runners run

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Ha! I didn't go anywhere and I don't know anyone that left. You jacks just take some getting used to. You're not over it yet, huh? 

We also need a sub 3:30 thread. 😜

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Joann Y

We also need a sub 3:30 thread. 😜

The truth is I could really use it. Sub 3:20 just seems too far off.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

The truth is I could really use it. Sub 3:20 just seems too far off.

I’m sure you would be very welcome there....just say that 3:20 is your stretch goal. 😁

Cyberic

I am about 148 pounds and I'm 5'10.

I haven't done a half since Feb, so who's to say I won't do better when I do my next one.

I've just recently started running on average 70 KM a week. I wasn't training as hard before.

Even at 70 km / week, that is below what I would consider adequate for a "good" marathon. Some people get away with it, but most people need to get the weekly mileage up to 90 kms/week (55 miles)  before they can run a good marathon.

And 90 km/week is not considered a lot for a marathoner. So you would definitely benefit a lot from a good volume bump.

Also, as others have said, do consider sharing your running log here on RA. It helps others give better advice.

Is it really that easy? I feel like diet and sleep are big factors too. And I don't KNOW how good my diet is.

I would maybe make your hard run of the week....the LONG RUN, with some Marathon pace miles within that run...ie...a 16 mile long run...with 10miles of that being at marathon race pace...

the rest long and easy miles...

I love the expression, There is no such thing as Over-training, only Under Recovered! so yes sleep is big...

diet may help with recovery etc... too

good luck! you can shave 2 mins off 4hr marathon!

300m- 37 sec.

Joann Y

I’m sure you would be very welcome there....just say that 3:20 is your stretch goal. 😁

Gah! You're tempting me...

paul2432

I would maybe make your hard run of the week....the LONG RUN, with some Marathon pace miles within that run...ie...a 16 mile long run...with 10miles of that being at marathon race pace...

the rest long and easy miles...

Often for low volume runners their marathon pace is their easy pace, sometimes even slower than easy pace.

Defining marathon pace can get tricky.  It could be any of at least three things.

1) The pace you desire to run a marathon

2) The marathon pace predicted by your shorter distance races (adjusted for running volume or not)

3) The pace you ran in a recent marathon

I like (2) unadjusted as a training pace and then run the race itself at the adjusted pace.  (1) isn’t good because it is often not based on fitness but rather a round number or BQ goal.  (3) is bad, unless the marathon was flawlessly executed.  Most people run slower than they could have with perfect pacing.

did no one suggest a run-walk strategy to arrive at a 9:10 pace average?

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I've started running 5 days a week with 2 days off. On 4 of those days, I run between 11 and 15 KM and then I have a big day where I run between 25 and 30 KM.

For the vast majority of us hobby runners, more base miles equals better performance. Be it endurance and/or speed. Run lots, mostly easy, sometimes hard.

So is any of those days a quality day where you run sometimes hard?  Adding some tempo paced running, fast finishes, progressive runs, or even (Gasp!) some intervals, can make the difference.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

berylrunner

Rick

My recipe for setting PR's this last year and hitting all my goals.  Run streak, big mileage, and interval training.  Also, strides.  Problem is,  I burned out

12-22   Last One Standing  - dnf 37 miles

1-23  Sun Marathon - 3:53

3-4-23  Red Mountain 55k - 7:02

4-15-23  Zion 100 - 27:59