2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

Andres1045

Incredible, Mikkey!!!! Awesome PR

Upcoming races: Boston

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Amazing. All that complaining this cycle and disappearing because of it. No more of that. GREAT PR!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

weatherboy80

Amazing PR!!  Congrats!

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

Awesome job Mikkey! Congrats on the PR and the Moose Mug!

2:52:16 (2018)

Kram with a 2:51:48 at Toledo; great job!

2:52:16 (2018)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Thanks for the tracking Finbad!

I was crapping myself this morning and could barely tie my shoe laces up, worried about my lack of mileage!

I was running for a charity in memory of a dear old friend who was into sport and fascinated about the Moose Mug and said that I should never give up on it. I think she was looking down on me today and my Moose Mug is for Sally.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I was running for a charity in memory of a dear old friend who was into sport and fascinated about the Moose Mug and said that I should never give up on it. I think she was looking down on me today and my Moose Mug is for Sally.

This is awesome.  So awesome.  Beautiful indeed.

Kram - congrats to you as well.  All sorts of great marathon performances this weekend.

As for myself, I just ran an 18:53 5K for the second time in a row.....  That fast time will come if I keep taking shots at it - I know.

Race report here.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Mikkey!!!!   I'm SO impressed and happy for you.

slingrunner

NIce day or racing all around.

Great consistent pace Mikkey.  Congrats on the PR!

Kram-  Nice result.  How did it go?

Dark- Your race reports are such fascinating reads.  I agree that you need to go out a bit quicker.  Did you see if she had a bib?  Was she at the awards ceremony?  Maybe she was a figment of your imagination you created during the race to try and give yourself some competitive competition?

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Kram - great result! Can you come back now?

Dw - my guess is she was running with a borrowed male's bib based on your race report

Mikkey - very inspiring. You have to get us a race report given its a PR.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Dark- Your race reports are such fascinating reads.  I agree that you need to go out a bit quicker.  Did you see if she had a bib?  Was she at the awards ceremony?  Maybe she was a figment of your imagination you created during the race to try and give yourself some competitive competition?

Dw - my guess is she was running with a borrowed male's bib based on your race report

So...she definitely had a bib on.  And was NOT at the awards ceremony (when they didn't announce her as second I looked for her - if she was talking with a race official I was going to come over and support).  The results show the next male runner behind me to have finished in 19:33, so that wasn't her.

Some others have suggested that perhaps she dropped down from the 10 miler to the 5K, but didn't officially swap, and got DQ'd for that reason.  That's the best answer I can think of.   Or maybe it was a borrowed bib, and they caught it.

It'd be really funny if she was DQ'd for running with a borrowed male bib; usually it plays out the reverse (young men borrowing older women's bibs and winning awards).

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Swim5599

Mikkey that’s crazy good well done.

DW really nice.  The 5k is a fickle beast.

Kram 2:51 is really good off less then ideal training.

The race  yesterday was pretty encouraging.  I missed PR ing by 20 seconds and it was all due to not getting out hard enough.  I NS the front half to back half by nearly 90 seconds and I closed the last mile in 5:28.  Humble brag but that’s flat getting after it.  The one big thing about coming down from altitude is I feel like I can really lean on a race late which is what has led to the big negative splits.  I need to get out harder though.  I have some big goals for next December so we ll see how the development goes this summer.

HM: 1/17 1:18:53. FM: 12/18 2:46:04 

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Mikey,     Huge  Congratulions on the Marathon and on the Moose mug. I couldn't be happier for you. You're the reason I came to the thread you've been on my Strava begging me to come around and I am so happy I did. It shows persistence worked  in both instances . Also, the reasoning and dedication couldn't have been more beautiful.  For Sally!  Cheers mate!

Dark Wave -  I wasnt gonna crap on your insta post but you know what you have to do. It's a 5k you gotta get out. 3rd times the charm. I trust you'll get it right. just go for 6:00 pace all the way.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Dark Wave -  I wasnt gonna crap on your insta post but you know what you have to do. It's a 5k you gotta get out. 3rd times the charm. I trust you'll get it right. just go for 6:00 pace all the way.

No argument here.  Discussed it with my coach, and he noted that a) it wasn't a bad race by any means but b) I shouldn't be afraid to be more aggressive and go for it.

I think some of this is just lingering from focusing on marathons so much last year - the same characteristics that lead to good marathons result in conservative 5Ks.  I need to play with different mindsets and stretching outside my comfort zones at this distance.

ZZCaptainObvious

Thanks Darkwave, JT, and weather. Sub 3 would have been nice, but also a bit of sleight of hand to say the least - 3:03 is pretty in line with where my training is right now. On to Rockin' Brews in Madison in August! But first a Ragnar and some random 5Ks.

Congrats Mikkey on London!