Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

zebano

Zebano - what's your racing plan?

I only have a Nov 25th 5k on the calendar right now.  The 70.3 vacation I alluded is a no-go but that's ok as we'll be taking the vacation in January but without a race.

I was going to talk to my coach about time trialing something during/after my next cutback week. Probably a 3k (soft PR) or 8k (automatic PR).  My club hasn't announced when the end of year race will be (20km trail which equates to flat HM  +/- 1 min) but it's always one of the first two weekends in December so I hope I can make it. I'd love to also fit in a second crack at the 5k or another 10k but the local races just don't line up with the family schedule so I'll probably start looking for a fast local runner to pace a TT.

You're running CIM right?

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - You know this is where you really belong.

zebano - Yeah I think I'm about at my limit and can afford/need a pretty light taper.

Queenstown Marathon - Postponed until March 19, 3 weeks before I'm planning my first full marathon so it's as good as cancelled for me.  It's all on Selwyn, and if something messes that one up, I'll be doing the dreaded time trial.  Keen - Please update Queenstown to cancelled.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - Funny how it changed, I remember the old times in the old forum, with DPW (the fast dude who ate only protein), phillypharm who worked on a US base in Germany I believe and the others. To be fair, the Kiwi chat died down quite a lot lately.

Answering your question, I have no idea what is next. I know there’s a slightly hilly 10k race November 21st with a very strong field (winner close to 30 minutes, top 50 under 40 minutes), then some evening races in December (I don’t like evening races),

The race calendars are empty for next year (Jan/Feb), I guess people are weary of new lockdowns.

I tried to find track races but there are none to find.

Piwi - good to know, you still kayak fishing these days?

Steve - Hopefully you didn’t run over your peak. Even then, you’ve got quite the fitness now, you should definitely be able to run under 90 minutes.

me - I tried to find a place nearby to do pull ups as it's been a while since I did them. There are none. What the hell, not even a park for children in the vicinity 😂 (I used to do pull ups in the swing bars). I might have to purchase one of those pull up mate things, not much space at home though. I can't use those that require drilling the wall or the door. The search continues...

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Flavio yes still kayak fishing when conditions allow. It's a once every 2 week activity on average. Surfing is very sporadic depending on swell. You can have several days in a row and then flat for 2 weeks. Good to hear you are looking to do upper body stuff. I got addicted during lockdown to our little home gym in the garage and I actually have biceps now 💪. I could fire up on the running again. You know what I'm like. I figure 30 mpw will keep me semi running fit for now.

I've got phillypharm on my strava, Matt is pretty fast sub 1.24 these days.

Jmac have a great race. Hope the new shoes work well.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Keen - all my races are cancelled.  I'll let you know if that changes.  I don't have a lot of positive things to say right now.  Our government has come up with a half-baked plan out of lockdown that relies on us hitting an aspirationally high vaccination target, despite us being 20 months in the pandemic and having had ample time to get ahead of this and come up with something better, sooner.  If we even get races before the end of the year, it'll be club track races at best.

Flavio - I remember DPW and Philly.

Zebano - yeah you can't just roll on a training block for ever, I learned that last year.  Even if it's just a down week here and there to keep things fresh.

Piwi - 50kpw should keep things ticking over fine.  The weather has been horrible the last 4-6 weeks which is not great for motivation either.  I don't mind runs in the rain or wind but attempting a workout in windy conditions sucks, albeit Steve made a fine job of it this morning by the looks of things.

Me - well the small bit of good news is my osteo is back in business so I was able to see her on Thurs for the first time in probably 3 months.  Damn that felt good.  My right hip had been a little niggly and the shoulders were pretty tight, even despite horrible weather at the track this morning it felt a million dollars after seeing her.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Keen - all my races are cancelled.  I'll let you know if that changes.  I don't have a lot of positive things to say right now.  Our government has come up with a half-baked plan out of lockdown that relies on us hitting an aspirationally high vaccination target, despite us being 20 months in the pandemic and having had ample time to get ahead of this and come up with something better, sooner.  If we even get races before the end of the year, it'll be club track races at best.

Predictable....and don’t expect that a high vaccination percentage will automatically mean ”freedom” in NZ.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JamesD

JamesD

me - I tried to find a place nearby to do pull ups as it's been a while since I did them. There are none. What the hell, not even a park for children in the vicinity 😂 (I used to do pull ups in the swing bars). I might have to purchase one of those pull up mate things, not much space at home though. I can't use those that require drilling the wall or the door. The search continues...

Flavio - My son (off at university) has a pullup bar that hooks over the door frame and seems like it would work with any door frame.  No holes or hooks needed.  I've asked him where he got it & what company makes it in case it's something you can get.  Not sure how frequently he checks his messages, though.  Will let you know if he remembers anything.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Marky_Mark_17

Predictable....and don’t expect that a high vaccination percentage will automatically mean ”freedom” in NZ.

I’m not interested in discussing this with you given your tendency to rely on alt right partisan sites for “news”. You have zero credibility on this topic.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’m not interested in discussing this with you given your tendency to rely on alt right partisan sites for “news”. You have zero credibility on this topic.

I’m not interested in discussing it with you either as you are very naive.

Save my posts and then tell me I’m wrong next year. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Marky_Mark_17

I’m not interested in discussing it with you either as you are very naive.

Save my posts and then tell me I’m wrong next year. 👍

Won't be wasting my time on that.  You haven't been on this thread in months and then you show up to have a dig at me?  Not exactly a positive contributor.  Bye.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

To be fair, I have no doubt that when we get to March-April and people without booster shots or natural immunity have waning protection and there is an outbreak among the vaccinated (as in the UK and Israel) we will see more ‘short, sharp lockdowns’. Hopefully more short and sharp than the current short and sharp Auckland lockdown.

Anyway, I’ve gone away for the long weekend and really hoping I don’t have to go straight home since there is now a South Island case. And to keep this related to running, if that leads to spread and I lose Selwyn too, expect a bigger rant than when I have to run on a warm day in summer.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Anyway, I’ve gone away for the long weekend and really hoping I don’t have to go straight home since there is now a South Island case. And to keep this related to running, if that leads to spread and I lose Selwyn too, expect a bigger rant than when I have to run on a warm day in summer.

If that happens (and I really hope it doesn't), it would be worthy of possibly the longest rant on this thread.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JamesD

JamesD

Flavio - My son’s pullup bar is the Perfect Fitness Multi-Gym Pull Up Bar.  His is a few years old and looks a little different from the one that’s on Amazon, but they both seem to fit onto door frames with no holes required.

Me - The podiatrist thought my foot issue probably was capsulitis (which I see online has the disconcerting alternate name of predislocation syndrome) or if not that, a neuroma, or maybe both.  He prescribed an antiinflamatory that had worked for a similar issue in my other foot a couple of years ago.  He said it should reduce the pain by 50% within a month, which was less and slower than I’m hoping for. I’ve been taking it for a few days and still feel a mild soreness in the foot, but it doesn’t affect my gait, which is the main thing.  Am surprised at how sore my quads are after just 10 days without running, especially since I did some pool running on several of those days.  The pool running seems to work the smaller muscle on the inside of the leg just above the knee more than it does the quads.  I expect the soreness will go away in a few days, but I’ll keep the distance down until it does.

Sun - 40 minutes pool running

Mon - 25 minutes slow swimming, 25 minutes pool running

Tues - off

Weds - 26 minutes swimming

Thurs - 4.7 miles easy in park @ 8:30, started faster & easy, slowed, quads sore

Fri - 6.2 miles very slow on treadmill (72 minutes)

Sat - 4.7 miles easy in park @ 8:30, steady pace, then 26 minutes swimming, 5 pool running, stopped when upper left hamstring sore

Total - 15.6 miles, 77 minutes swimming, 70 minutes pool running

Rapidly declining YTD average - 42.6 mpw

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Won't be wasting my time on that.  You haven't been on this thread in months and then you show up to have a dig at me?  Not exactly a positive contributor.  Bye.

It was kind of funny that you showed up on the marathon thread last month just to tell me that the elliptical machine is useless.

Have you ever actually used one when you’ve been injured?  If not then just stfu and listen to people with experience,

Marky_Mark_17

It was kind of funny that you showed up on the marathon thread last month just to tell me that the elliptical machine is useless.

Have you ever actually used one when you’ve been injured?  If not then just stfu and listen to people with experience,

Wrong, I actually showed up a page or two before that after reading Flavio's race report, then I think there was some discussion about the prevalence of the Next% in Tokyo.

And yes. I had a fractured knee cap and a ruptured patellar tendon that I spent 12 months rehabbing.  Still got two pins in the top of my knee.  Bike, elliptical, rower, treadmill, used them all.  A lot.  Two medical professionals who know a lot more about biomechanics than me told the elliptical is "functionally useless".  That's not the same as actually useless.  It's fine for low-impact cardio it just doesn't actually replicate any natural movements whatsoever.  Don't take it personally.

Honestly, showing up on this thread and throwing insults around (again) and "I told you so's" and telling people to 'stfu' is weak.  I don't know what your problem is but feel free to stop trashing this thread for the others that enjoy it and contribute positively.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"