Is the Garmin Forerunner 305 Discontinued? (Read 856 times)

Tramps

Mine appears to have died and when i went to the Garmin running page, it's no where to be found.   What's up?

Be safe. Be kind.

jespsf

did you try amazon?

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Yes, it's on the "Discontinued" page: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=166

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've already decided that when my 305 kicks it I will be replacing it with something else.  My first one was trouble-free for years, but #2 has been a PITA since day 1.  I don't need all the wireless stuff on it, anyhow.  I have never once used the HRM and should probably sell or give away the 2 straps I have.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Tramps

Interesting, thanks.

If they're discontinuing it, I certainly won't pay top dollar for it.  Maybe a fire sale might entice me to buy.  Otherwise, I think I'll look for something different.  I don't need all the bells and whistles but I do like the GPS.

Be safe. Be kind.

I have never once used the HRM and should probably sell or give away the 2 straps I have.

Zoomy - I'll buy your straps! I sent you a PM.

2017 Goals
              1) Run more than 231 miles
              2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

xhristopher

I think it's been discontinued for quite a while now. I got one a couple years ago for about 125 but the prices are going back up due to that whole supply and demand thing. I'd bet you would find it difficult to find a new one for under 200.

I'd take a look at the 210.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Zoomy - I'll buy your straps! I sent you a PM.

I got it and replied. Smile

~ Sarah Kay

Tramps

I think it's been discontinued for quite a while now. I got one a couple years ago for about 125 but the prices are going back up due to that whole supply and demand thing. I'd bet you would find it difficult to find a new one for under 200.

Yeah, I bought mine for about that price and was surprised to see the change.  Older technology, higher price. Really?

Be safe. Be kind.

HermosaBoy

Not to hijack the thread, but...

I just got a 305 back from being refurbished that I would be willing to sell if anyone is interested.  Hasn't been used since I got it back because I ended up buying a 210.  I even have a brand new premium HRM strap to go with it...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

xor

I honestly thought this was a zombie thread because I'm pretty sure they stopped making the 305 years ago (with the introduction of the 310 maybe?  And that's been 4 years. I think.).

The fact that you could still buy these until recently makes me wonder how much excess supply garmin had.  Also, have people been recently buying refurbs or did they really have these in storage for that many years?

Or is this like the season of Dallas and I dreamed it.

Questions.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

SRL, the one I bought a little over a year ago was new from Amazon.com.  I suspect that they had a LOT of excess, too.

~ Sarah Kay

HermosaBoy

Also, have people been recently buying refurbs or did they really have these in storage for that many years?

My refurbished one is because mine died -- I called and complained about how quickly the thing lost sound and they refurbished it (or pulled one of the shelf).

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

kcam

As of a few months ago (when I searched for a 205/305) I was able to find new units but they were generally expensive.  I'm still a fan of the 205/305 performance to dollars ratio.  There are things I don't really care for in the newer generation models (and in the 205/305 as well).  The 305 was very expensive at the time but I was able to get a new 205 for <$150 shipped.  That is a steal in relation to what you have to pay for a newer generatiion model with similar features.  Newer versions are still no more accurate than the 205/305 generation.  I'm hoping to be able to skip buying another generation or two of GPS watch before I have to buy again.

I'm guessing they really did have quite a supply of these things left over when people switched to buying the new stuff.  

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Here's something I have been wondering: is everyone with a 205/305 finding that their unit really struggles to find satellites much of the time?  On the days when mine locks onto satellites fast I am always surprised.  I suspect that maybe I got a bad unit, since my first 305 didn't have issues like this (that unit was trouble-free until it literally started to fall apart at the seams).  My Edge 500 for my bike is insanely fast at picking up satellites.  Faster than my original FR 305 ever was, even.

~ Sarah Kay