Not a lover of running, but training for the Army... (Read 1109 times)

So, I realize most of you run for fun, but I run out of necessity. I head off to Army BCT in August and hope to be in fair to pretty good shape by then. I need to run 2 miles in 20 min or less for the physical fitness test (not a problem, I can do that already) but I'd rather run more. Last year, I was running 3 miles on a semi-regular basis, and I'd like to get back to that before August. However, it is very difficult for me to stay motivated and get out there and just do it, as I am not really a big fan of running. Anyone have any suggestions for things I can do to make running less of an ordeal and more fun?
      Run Nekid?

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

PWL

Has been

Listen to something interesting while you run. I find listening to a book-on-tape or an episode of Car Talk or something of that nature makes my runs go by pretty quickly--takes my mind off the running. I don't do this very often though, only on days when I don't feel like running to begin with. Most of the time, however, I look forward to running. Yes

"Years ago my mother used to say to me, she'd say, 'In this world, Elwood, you must be' - she always called me Elwood - 'In this world, Elwood, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.'  Well, for years I was smart.  I recommend pleasant."

shyrunner07

no tips, as i am just a silly newbie, but i wanted to wish you well (and thank you) on your journey! My lil brother just finished boot camp and is off to Walter Reed in another week or so...Go Army! Smile
          snooz_bar

Since you have a specific goal in mind, the delayed gratification would motivate me. A little work and consistency now will make a big diff. in a few months, and you are going to need all the advantage you can get then. So focus on the jump start you are giving yourself now. You may also do one of those fitness path things or make up your own. You know, where you run a little and then stop and do some sit-ups then run some more and stop and do chin-ups, push-ups ect. Also if you could get someone else to train with you that always helps. Good Luck Kyle
              PWL, is that ....huhummm, Michael J. Fox?

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I ran a lot before basic training, and I was very glad I did. You don't want to be the guy who's falling out during road marches and company runs. The Army's running standards aren't that high, but being a little more fit than average just makes life a lot easier. Plus scoring high on early fitness tests gets you some instant respect. Personally, I'm one of the weirdos around here who thinks running is fun, so I don't have a lot of motivational suggestions. (In fact, after basic I was glad to have more free time for running. Big grin ). Couple ideas: get some friends to train with you. Make a routine and stick to it every day, until it's just habit. Good luck!
                Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
                  It sounds like you have already met your goal of being able to meet the army standards, so that isn't much of a motivator for you. Perhaps you should set some goals for yourself that are more difficult, and the challenge of reaching those can drive you? A 5k race goal might be reasonable, since it sounds like you aren't really looking for anything long distance. Whether it is a particular time, or a particular placement in your age group, competition and a specific goal motivates me more than just knowing that running is good for me. I like competing with people and/or the clock. Could that help you out as well? Even when the training isn't that enjoyable, knowing that come race day you have to have the miles in to excel can really push you out the door. Have you considered something along those lines yet?
                    3 things that motivate me: 1. new running outfits; short shorts and cool wicking tanktops 2. the potential of looking good naked if I workout enough But most importantly, 3. A heart rate monitor that also measures the distance that you run (Polar RS 200 D is the one I use). That way I know if I meet my goals and if I am improving my endurance along the way. This sort of apeases the geek in me.
                    Will be weightlifting and running to get into the best shape I can before turning 40. Here are my progress pictures: http://tinyurl.com/584qwt
                      "2 miles in 20 min or less for the physical fitness test" Not quite. A 21 year old female must do 2 miles in 19:42 or less in order to meet the BCT standard of 50% in each event. If you turn 22 before the end of cycle APFT (Usually ~ week 6 or 7) then your minimum standard will be 20:36 or less. By itself, the run isn't very hard. But remember you'll have to do 2 mins of push-ups and 2 mins of sit-ups prior to the run. And you must pass all three events in order to pass the APFT. After BCT, the standard goes to 60% in each event.( I was a Drill Sergeant at Fort Jackson, SC.) As far as making runs less of a drudge, don't focus on the run or the distance you want to do. Focus on what's going on around you as run. Look forthings you haven't seen before or try to run some place different a couple of times a week. You don't have to try and kill yourself on your runs, either. Just run - no watch, GPS, or pedometer - once a week or so. RLTW Mike
                      Scout7

I was a Drill Sergeant at Fort Jackson, SC.
                        Lovely place. True garden spot.
                          Lovely place. True garden spot.
                          The poison ivy is rather lovely this time of year, as are the pollen levels.
                          Scout7

The poison ivy is rather lovely this time of year, as are the pollen levels.
                            And there's always such wonderful fauna. Snakes, spiders, ticks, chiggers.....And the wonderful thunderstorms that soak you to the bone, lasting 45 minutes, then letting the sun out full blast. I always loved that part especially.
                              And there's always such wonderful fauna. Snakes, spiders, ticks, chiggers.....And the wonderful thunderstorms that soak you to the bone, lasting 45 minutes, then letting the sun out full blast. I always loved that part especially.
                              Truly, he who is tired of Fort Jackson is tired of life.

The voice of mile 18

a good training partner helps me out. someone to talk to and make the runs more fun. they also keep you honest and keep you training. good luck and thanks!

Tri Rule #1 of Triathlon Training/Racing - If Momma ain't happy nobody is happy