Amsterdam midnight run (Read 868 times)

bas

I just returned from a midnight run along the banks of the Amstel. It was awesome! All day and evening there had been no moment for me to run and then, as I was almost ready to go to sleep, I decided to go out and run instead. So I went outside and had one of the best runs since months! It was great running along the river while a bell struck midnight... In this part of the city there are enough people about late in the evening to make you feel safe. And as I was flying along the road, there was no way to stop me anyway. Wink It's great to live in this town. And It's great to be a runner. Smile bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Amstel....beer... Big grin That sounds awesome! I can't imagine deciding to go for a run in the middle of the night. I'm not that brave (nuts?) and we have the occasional coyote around here. Wink k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JakeKnight

Ah, Amstel Light. The beer for (bleep) Americans who are too big of sissies to get used to dark European beer that you need to eat with a knife and fork. I drank that stuff for three plus years, mainly so Brits wouldn't laugh when I ordered a Bud (and paid the imported price for it, too). God bless Amsterdam. Don't they make Grolsch around there, too? Another great beer for sissies. With a cool bottle, too.
        I just returned from a midnight run along the banks of the Amstel.
        I too love the midnight runs, but I discovered a problem: I can't sleep afterwards. At all. Actually, if I run after 6:00 p.m., unless it's awfully gentle, I won't be sleeping much. No problem for you? And of course, he's probably sound asleep, which I guess would answer the question.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
        -----------------------------

Now that was a bath...

That sounds really cool! I'm slightly jealous, I loved Amsterdam. I was amazed by the superior quality of the prostitutes Wink Having lived for so many years in Soho London - it made our local girls look like grubby whores. Oh wait - I forget, they were grubby whores. Actually, whilst i've lowered the tone of the conversation - it's a bit like living in Amsterdam being here. My local community is known for having a really high amount of Fafa ini - (Samoan lady-boys) who work as prostitutes and New Zealand is one of the few countries to also have legalized prostitution. People know us for our sheep - but that isn't our biggest industry any more. Of course, like the London prostitutes the local ones here aren't as pretty as in Amsterdam - and lot's of them have willies and beards. But hey, business is business right? And just to finish off my snapshot of Papatoetoe, sister city of Amsterdam, I live just down the road (in fact I run past it on my hill/flat run) from the local brewery which just happens to be the importer of Amstel beer here in New Zealand. Remind me to change that red light bulb in my kitchen. Or at the very least to install some curtains. Who knows what risks I am taking. 'Me haere koe ki te wharepaku.' Which, roughly translated from its Maori origins means - 'You'd better go to the toilet' Thanks for sharing. Claire xxx
        • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
        • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
          bas

I'm awake now! And yes, I did sleep. Usually no problem after running in the evening, although running 'Round Midnight is something I never did before. And The Beer. Amstel *and* Heineken of course... English tourists seem to love the tour through the old Heineken brewery (now called something like 'Heineken Beer Experience'... *Sigh*) When you drive or cycle by, you need to pay extra attention. Not only do they forget on which side of the road we drive - the forget we are there at all. Sure we have Grolsch! It's from the east of the Netherlands. Not heavy stuff, but I like it. Better than Amstel or Heineken. And sure, prostitution. In my mind it's not that interesting but Amsterdam seems to have a reputation in this respect. Wink Now I'm off for the weekend to a cottage without internet acces, in an area without visible prostitution, but with beer and beautiful running courses. bas

My dogs are fast, not me

Now I'm off for the weekend to a cottage without internet acces, in an area without visible prostitution, but with beer and beautiful running courses. bas
              That sounds heavenly! Robin

Robin

That sounds like a beautiful run. I like a late night run myself from time to time. A river run at midnight sounds fantastic. Good for you for getting out there when you could've just as easily gone to sleep. Jake, I've always read you're not supposed to work out too close to bedtime. Call me a freak but, I can be falling asleep on the couch 30 minutes after getting in from a long run. A lot of times there's a half drunk cup of coffee sitting along side of me. Kooky, thanks for unveiling aspects of New Zealand not covered in National Geographic. When I think New Zealand I think kiwis,flip-flopped seasons,Lord of the Rings, & Maoris. Now I can add lady-boys, to each their own.
                JakeKnight

I was amazed by the superior quality of the prostitutes
                  It takes a bit to surprise me. But that line had me spitting coffee in my lap. Mission accomplished. Seriously. I have to change into a new pair of running shorts, and seem to have third degree burns on my twig and berries. Nicely done! I have yet to do any nominating for Pron8r's 2006 Board Awards, but I think that post - along with a few others - just got Kooky my nomination for "Most Unexpected, Surprising, Unpredictable, and/or Entertaining." Speaking of beer, I wanna have a few with you. You've got some good stories. And a seriously wicked mind. Keep up the good work, while I go look for some ice ...

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

Now that was a bath...

Speaking of beer, I wanna have a few with you. You've got some good stories. And a seriously wicked mind. Keep up the good work, while I go look for some ice ...
                    Sorry about your man parts. Maybe one day in the distant future you and your lovely fiance can holiday in New Zealand and we can go for a volcanic run whilst swigging beer and swapping 'man stories'. You must have a few goodies with your military career! Oh wait, I don't drink any more. Gave it up completely five weeks ago so that I could be a better runner Wink Am I a better runner yet? Roll eyes Claire xxx
                  • jlynnbob "HTFU, Kookie's distal tibia"
                  • Where's my closet? I need to get back in it.
                      Midnight run in Amsterdam sounds enchanting. It is such a wonderful city. You are quite lucky to live there. Ewa
                      I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill
                      bas

Midnight run in Amsterdam sounds enchanting. It is such a wonderful city. You are quite lucky to live there. Ewa
                        I agree Smile But the scenery in your picture doesn't look bad either! And: Hey Claire aka Kooky2003. I did not react so enthousiastically (is that correct?) to your prostitution remark, knowing the reality of these good looking prostitues is not always so nice. A lot of illegally immigrated women end up there, as I'm sure happens in Soho... But still - enchanted that you loved Amsterdam! When I walk or ride my bike in the city during in the tourist season (which is most of the year) I often look at the town as if I see it through their eyes. And then I realize it's a special place. History all around you and freedom in the air. And now you will start about the coffee shops Big grin bas

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Kooky, thanks for unveiling aspects of New Zealand not covered in National Geographic. When I think New Zealand I think kiwis,flip-flopped seasons,Lord of the Rings, & Maoris. Now I can add lady-boys, to each their own.
                          Heh...so much for our idyllic version of NZ. Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I agree Smile But the scenery in your picture doesn't look bad either! bas
                            That's San Francisco Bay Area. Can't complain about the scenery here. Nature has blessed this state enormously. Still, there is something special about some European cities. Amsterdam is just fantastic and if I ever have a chance to visit it again I will make sure to go for a midnight run on the Amstel banks. Ewa
                            I would rather wear out than rust out. - Helen Klein You create your own universe as you go along. - Winston Churchill