Cannabis table at race expo (Read 163 times)

Bblack

Someone who uses marijuana the night before the race to relax and get a good nights sleep is a cheater. 

What scumbags!

Brewing Runner

3:56 marathoner at heart

What scumbags!

He is mad he lost to a stoner. Next he will say how special shoes are cheating because they’re softer and gravity doesnt apply to them like everyone else.

1 mile: 5:38 (September 2018)

5K: 20:23 (March 2018)

10K: 42:11 (May 2018)

Half: 1:29* (2019 CIM first half)

Marathon 2:59* (2019 CIM)

Annual Miles 2,121 miles

*CIM is a NET downhill course and the weather is unpredictable.

2020 Goal: Short Distance PRs so people won't make fun of me. 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I'm with Paul on this.  As long as THC is banned by USADA, there should not be tables promoting cannabis at a race expo.  I'd feel the same if there were tables promoting DHEA or Sudafed - two other products that are legal to consume under US law, but banned in competition by USADA.

FWIW, I am very much in favor of the legalization of marijuana - I don't use it myself, and wouldn't even if it was allowed under USADA (the smell of pot makes me gag).  But it seems that a lot of people really benefit from it, and it makes no sense to me that it would be illegal while alcohol is legal.

But....the rules of a sport are the rules of the sport. THC is not allowed, and so it should not be promoted at race expos.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

bhearn

I’ve seen Nuun exhibited, and nothing is more offensive than that.

+1

It is my understanding that THC is still illegal under federal law, they just don't enforce it in states that legalized cannabis. I am also not sure why it is considered performance enhancing, is it just because it helps you get to sleep the night before as Paul suggests? Wouldn't a glass of wine or chamomile tea or sex for that matter, have similar benefits and to be fair should those not also be banned? Caffeine is a legal performance enhancing stimulant, no one suggests coffee drinkers have an unfair advantage. I am surprised that sudafed is banned, I sometimes used it for my seasonal allergies. I may have to look up the full list of banned substances. What about those who use cannabis for medical reasons, such as to control seizures? Should they be discriminated against in being able to compete in a race? Also, THC is fat soluble and can show up in blood tests as much as 3 months later, long after effects have wore off. Well, my take is what is banned is somewhat arbitrary and the race promoters have the right to allow whatever vendor they choose, but as you say some may not be appropriate for a family event and you have every right to protest.

"My dear, here we must run as fast as we can, just to stay in place. And if you wish to go anywhere you must run twice as fast as that.” 

I’ve seen Nuun exhibited, and nothing is more offensive than that.

Imagine cannabis flavored / infused Nuun.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

It is my understanding that THC is still illegal under federal law, they just don't enforce it in states that legalized cannabis. I am also not sure why it is considered performance enhancing, is it just because it helps you get to sleep the night before as Paul suggests? Wouldn't a glass of wine or chamomile tea or sex for that matter, have similar benefits and to be fair should those not also be banned? Caffeine is a legal performance enhancing stimulant, no one suggests coffee drinkers have an unfair advantage. I am surprised that sudafed is banned, I sometimes used it for my seasonal allergies. I may have to look up the full list of banned substances. What about those who use cannabis for medical reasons, such as to control seizures? Should they be discriminated against in being able to compete in a race? Also, THC is fat soluble and can show up in blood tests as much as 3 months later, long after effects have wore off. Well, my take is what is banned is somewhat arbitrary and the race promoters have the right to allow whatever vendor they choose, but as you say some may not be appropriate for a family event and you have every right to protest.

You're assuming that whether a substance is banned hinges on whether it is performance enhancing.  That's not entirely accurate.

A substance is banned if it meets at least two of the three criteria:

• It enhances, or has the potential to enhance, sport performance .

• It represents an actual or potential health risk to the athlete .

• It violates the spirit of sport .

(source: page 3 of the USADA Athlete Handbook)

Hence, you have things like cocaine and PCP that are banned from sport, even though they are arguably not performance enhancing.  And you have stuff that is unquestionably performance enhancing, like caffeine, that is allowed.

If you want to look up what is and is not allowed, it's easy to do so here - Global DRO)

As for those using Cannabis for medical reasons, there is a TUE process.  And that's the whole point of having TUEs - to ensure those who have a valid medical need for something can still use it.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

I've ran stoned many times. I've kinda used it to help numb the pain and get me out the door on days when I feel really shitty because to my mind anything is better than not running at all. Hey it beats just getting high on the couch with Mickey D's. That said I'm just getting back in shape after years of barely running (I'm 25). If you roll joints/spliffs instead of using a water bong though you're definitely sabotaging your performance though as it's undoubtedly worse for your lungs.

The cop who caught me with an eighth may beg to differ on the whole matter though but y'know whatever. Good ol NY.

Smoke weed, don't smoke cigs. My $0.02

flavio1980

weight loss complainer

Unless they were offering hemp shaped candies to children or offered products that came with toys (I'm looking at you McFraud), I don't see how it would be inappropriate for a family event. If anything, alcohol is very not appropriate for a family event given the nasty consequences it causes to those who partake in it and those around.

In terms of being a banned substance, as far as I understand it's banned IN competition, not after. So if somebody wanted to hit the puff afterwards to relax a bit I don't see why they couldn't or shouldn't.

That said, you are in your rights to send a message to the organization about it.

PRs: 1500m 4:54.1 3K 10:34 5K 18:05 HM 1:24:25 - Up next: Chase the HM PR

bhearn

Imagine cannabis flavored / infused Nuun.

I think that would be a distinct improvement.

Was the rep at the table Chris Barnicle by chance??

johnysins

Get the best fixes for all your plumbing problems and resolve your issues using trenchless repairs with Plumbers in my area at the most economical rates.