Learn something on the treadmill (Read 160 times)

yomonk1

So my wife and I got a treadmill that is suitable for running. I don't "hate" running on it, but I do find it somewhat tedious.

I'll probably only be using the treadmill in inclimate weather, or when it's simply too dang cold outside.  I'd like some suggestions on things to watch, and hopefully learn a new skill in the 30-60 minutes I'm on the treadmill. Any thoughts, or experiences with this?

Still kicking

Get a good quality pedestal fan, and blast it right on you. Treadmill running gets HOT fast.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

I sweat a lot, and I usually throw my iPod into the pocket on my running. However, one time I actually broke my iPod because I sweated so much I shorted it out and it never turned back on. Be aware of how much sweating you do on a treadmill!

Prairie running is peace.

GinnyinPA

I like to watch trail videos. Since I've hiked the AT, PCT, CDT and GDT, spending 30 - 60 minutes watching videos showing the beauties of the trail bring back good memories. The ones that are mostly scenery are easier to follow when I'm making a lot of noise on the TM.  Google "PCT trail video" etc. and you'll find a bunch.

Dave

YI sweat a lot, and I usually throw my iPod into the pocket on my running. However, one time I actually broke my iPod because I sweated so much I shorted it out and it never turned back on. Be aware of how much sweating you do on a treadmill!

I have a waterproof one for when I do my pool running. Those are great!

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

T Hound

Slower but happier

So the gym got new TM and I tried one of the video u can watch, it was video going up a mountain in Hawaii.  The problem was it was a shot out of a car at driving so speed so it was weird running and the camera would pan off to see the sights. When that happened I would almost fall because it messes with your vestibular system.

To make it interesting on the TM, I did 2 mi warm up then 400 M intervals alternating 15%, 1%, then -6%, then 1% with different paces to keep general aerobic HR.  That way i kept from going nuts.  Also watching a video.  Even w that its challenging to do more than an hour run.  I dont understand why the gym doesnt have big fans in front of them. Its pretty cool temp in there now though w winter.

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

GinnyinPA

You might also check to see if your library has any Modern Scholar or Great Courses dvds or audio books. We do a lot of college level audio courses when we travel. I haven't tried any while running, but if I end up on the TM a lot this winter, I probably will.

kkittenkat

English Villian

Some good motivational music <----- Firstly

What I tend to do when I'm running, swimming etc is to visualise a problem or project at work, and work out how to move forward with it.

My training time is my most creative in terms of problem solving in other areas of my life.

That might just be me. 

Motivational music is crucial for me. I added some Franz Ferdinand to my play list recently.

kkittenkat

English Villian

Motivational music is crucial for me. I added some Franz Ferdinand to my play list recently.

We're programmed to respond to music with an emotional return, use it to your advantage.
                        I've always said (with my ex teacher/lecturer head on). If we learnt everything in music lyrics, we would hugely improve school grades and adult productivity also.

DoppleBock

I have done many > 30 miles runs on TM

*  I make slight changes to incline and speed just to keep it interesting

*  I listen to hard driving music

*  I watch action sports - MMA & College Basketball are my favorites

So my wife and I got a treadmill that is suitable for running. I don't "hate" running on it, but I do find it somewhat tedious.

I'll probably only be using the treadmill in inclimate weather, or when it's simply too dang cold outside.  I'd like some suggestions on things to watch, and hopefully learn a new skill in the 30-60 minutes I'm on the treadmill. Any thoughts, or experiences with this?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !