Athlinks redesign (Read 409 times)

xhristopher

Sometimes I wonder if athlinks hires folks to retype these results because I've noted they have errors for me, usually wrong or out of order placements.

Oddly, the redesign didn't fix that but those errors sure do look prettier.

bluerun

Super B****

Maybe I'm just incredibly stupid, but... I can't figure out how to add an unofficial result with this new design.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

TeamMom_Athlinks

Maybe I'm just incredibly stupid, but... I can't figure out how to add an unofficial result with this new design.

Definitely not incredibly stupid Smile  We will be adding that feature over to the new site within the next couple of days. In the meantime, you can still use the old site to add events and unofficial times and they will show up on the new site. We just added a helpful new site update sheet on the new site and it also has links back to the old site: http://athlinks.com/Home/Updates  Hope this helps!

TeamMom_Athlinks

Sometimes I wonder if athlinks hires folks to retype these results because I've noted they have errors for me, usually wrong or out of order placements.

Oddly, the redesign didn't fix that but those errors sure do look prettier.

So glad you think the new site looks prettier Smile  Great news is that we can get those results fixed for you. If you go to the Contact Us link at the bottom of the new site and let them know the event specifics and what is off, our support team can start looking into that.  We don't retype the results, we import them from the official results, but sometimes because our system defaults to 5 year standard age groups, placements can get off if overall winners were pulled from age group placements, etc., but we can correct those and get you all set!

bluerun

Super B****

Definitely not incredibly stupid Smile  We will be adding that feature over to the new site within the next couple of days. In the meantime, you can still use the old site to add events and unofficial times and they will show up on the new site. We just added a helpful new site update sheet on the new site and it also has links back to the old site: http://athlinks.com/Home/Updates  Hope this helps!

Haha, thanks -- I just figured that out an hour ago!!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

So glad you think the new site looks prettier Smile  Great news is that we can get those results fixed for you. If you go to the Contact Us link at the bottom of the new site and let them know the event specifics and what is off, our support team can start looking into that.  We don't retype the results, we import them from the official results, but sometimes because our system defaults to 5 year standard age groups, placements can get off if overall winners were pulled from age group placements, etc., but we can correct those and get you all set!

So if you are an actual Athlinks representative, I would be interested in answers to a couple questions I had in previous posts:

1. On the old site you used to be able to filter search results by name variation & by state/location. I don't see that on the new site.

2. Why is the race distance not shown in search results? This was also the case on the old site, but not sure why.

Thanks.

Dave

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

In the upper right corner there are colored buttons "Year", "Category", and "Race". Nothing seems to happen when I click on any of them -- I expected them to change the displayed results. What are they for?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Their site is pretty but I give them a C for accuracy in displaying the results.  It has my time for a 100 miler at 2:57:14.  My time was actually 26:57:14. When I click on the actual race, it shows the correct time.  It shows the correct times for some of my 100s and others are missing a digit as well.

It gives me credit for running an entire relay by myself and there was one other team member.

For one race, it has everyone's result listed twice.

It has me as a race walker.  I've never entered a race walk.

It has one of my races listed as a marathon and it was a 50 miler.

Also, it has my fastest 5K as 17:47, but the course was short so that isn't right.

My rank is 100% in the 10 miler?  50% in the 8K?  Neither of these can be right.

"Any idiot can run a marathon. It takes a special kind of idiot to run an ultramarathon." - Alan Cabelly

xhristopher

Pretty and easier to use aren't necessarily the same thing, unfortunately. I use the site superficially so I haven't dug around to get a real idea if it's more useable or not. "Connect via Faceplace" broke so I had to recover my password to get back on. I can say I went down the wrong path a couple times when using the new site so I must do a bad job intuiting it.

As for those results... I don't really care. Half are in my favor and half aren't so it kinda balances out, right? It is a mystery how it happens, especially at small races.

JimR

I think they're working on taking the 'ath' out of 'athlinks'.

I think for a site that collects race results automagically from the internets it does okay. It's never going to be as complete or as accurate as, say, my running log.

But once I get past, "hey that's kind of neat" I'm not really clear on the intended use case for Athlinks.

Runners run

TeamMom_Athlinks

So if you are an actual Athlinks representative, I would be interested in answers to a couple questions I had in previous posts:

1. On the old site you used to be able to filter search results by name variation & by state/location. I don't see that on the new site.

2. Why is the race distance not shown in search results? This was also the case on the old site, but not sure why.

Thanks.

1.  You can still search for your results using those filters - instead of that being its own separate page on the site that you had to go to, that claim worksheet is right on your home page now under the "claim" tab. There you can filter by alias's used and location to find your possible results to claim.

2.  Do you mean the ability to search results based on distance or why does the distance for each of the results show up on the results that you've searched on?  This comes down to a matter of page real estate.  You do have the ability now on the new site to use the unified "Athlete" search and select specific distances you are looking to find results for.

Let me know if this helps!

TeamMom_Athlinks

I think they're working on taking the 'ath' out of 'athlinks'.

Definitely not trying to do that! After 7 years, the site had become brittle.  We had to rebuild the site from the ground up in order to be able to handle new updates and advances we wanted to bring to the industry and to our members. With over 130 million race results worth of data and this new design, the site is far more powerful than before.  Each day we are bringing existing features back and adding even more. Here is a link that may help answer any other questions you may have around why we are moving in the directions we are at Athlinks:  http://athlinks.com/Home/Updates

We always welcome your feedback, comments, questions & suggestions as they help guide us in new updates and making the site the best it can be for you.

Thanks!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Definitely not trying to do that! After 7 years, the site had become brittle.  We had to rebuild the site from the ground up in order to be able to handle new updates and advances we wanted to bring to the industry and to our members. With over 130 million race results worth of data and this new design, the site is far more powerful than before.  Each day we are bringing existing features back and adding even more. Here is a link that may help answer any other questions you may have around why we are moving in the directions we are at Athlinks:  http://athlinks.com/Home/Updates

We always welcome your feedback, comments, questions & suggestions as they help guide us in new updates and making the site the best it can be for you.

Thanks!

TeamMom, thanks for showing up on behalf of Athlinks.  Looking forward to your site updates, as you get the kinks worked out.  (Fixed your link for you.)

xhristopher

Here's what I like about athlinks and it has nothing to do with my results. I can look at my log here for that. Athlinks gives me a handy tool to lurk on my competition. I can see how they have been doing lately. I can see what they've done over time, which gives me an idea of if folks are in good shape or not or if they have been progressing. I can get an idea of how they do at other distances and so on. It's kind of like lurking at peoples results around here. It's all fun to look at but when I go and run a race none of it matters.

I've also gotta say Athlinks ability to allow a registered user to hide their results is a silly feature for naive people. I've noted people in races that I've run with hidden results which just makes me wonder who takes the time to do that when their name is still listed on the official results from the actual race.