Marathon Recovery (Read 424 times)

Darla1

I ran Twin Cities Marathon one week ago. This was my first marathon and my longest training run was only 18 miles due to shin splints so I spent hours on the elliptical to keep my endurance up towards the end of my training program. The weather was cold and rainy on marathon day for my first half. I was really sore Monday - Wednesday (marathon was on Sunday) by Thursday and Friday I could walk down stairs looking almost normal. I did not run or xtrain at all until Saturday. Tried a 5 miler, by mile 2 I could feel my quads, kept going until mile 4 then walked the last mile. I was sore the rest of the day when doing any kind of squat or getting up out of chair. Is this normal to still be this sore one week after the marathon? I really want to get back to running, but do not want to risk injury. Any advice or information? Thank you! Darla
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm not sore anymore, but I have had cold or allergy issues dogging me for the last few days. I had planned to run today, but am not pushing my luck...had to take Advil for the throat rawness this AM to sleep. I've heard that one can expect a day of recovery for every mile run...I'd believe it. I've managed 2 piddly, haff-assed runs since my first marathon (same day as yours, in Milwaukee). I'm not expecting to do much this week, either (in part because of the sinus issues). Hopefully by next week I can pick up the mileage a bit more. This reverse-taper business is for the birds. Tongue

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Was it all a dream?

I was sore the rest of the day when doing any kind of squat or getting up out of chair.
        Ah yes, nothing like the pain in transitioning to sitting down or standing up. Makes you consider whether whatever you're standing up to get is really worth it, huh? Go ahead and do some easy running (or some sort of cross training), something to get the blood moving, and and you should feel better in the next few days.
          It all depends on how much effort you expended during the race. Some people never run again after a Marathon, some people run another the very next day. If you're sore you may as well just wait it out a couple of days or even a couple weeks is not a big deal to wait. You really won't be that far behind with 2 weeks off.

"The drops of rain make a hole in the stone, not by violence, but by oft falling." - Lucretius