Marzuki (Read 436 times)

Why is it sideways?

The Olympic Trials marathon is coming up, and a guy I ran with in college, Marzuki Stevens, has qualified. In this video he muses about the value of the attempt. As Mikeymike says in this thread from the 2000 mile club forum, these guys and girls are extraordinary athletes--in part because it's clear they aren't in it for the fame, records, glory, etc. They aren't elite athletes in the way we ordinarily see athletes depicted. As the Marzuki interview indicates, they aren't even sure what they are in it for. But they are in it totally. Anyhow, this event offers a different perspective on running, so I thought it might be worth a thread on the main board.

All business

I only know him because his brother is a famous musician named Sufjan Stevens, he makes good music. Thanks for the video.

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy

Mishka-old log

I only know him because his brother is a famous musician named Sufjan Stevens, he makes good music. Thanks for the video.
        Seriously? His music is one of the more unique things out there right now, and it's very good. I heard his live shows are incredible. Well, consider this thread hijacked.
        btb1490

Apparantly Sufjan does a bit of running himself. Good stuff. A very talented family. From the web... Sufjan's other interests include graphic design, painting, running, knitting, crocheting, weaving, quilting, cleaning, photography, haircutting, and dry wall installation. He collects stamps and wheat pennies. He cooks legendary omelets and can whip up a sushi feast at the drop of a sake glass. In high school he played second string guard on a district champion basketball team and created his own language, now spoken by only two other people. His brother Marzuki is a nationally recognized marathon runner, elite status. His sister Djohariah has the most complicated, most whimsical, most monumental laugh in all of mankind.

All business

Well, consider this thread hijacked.
            Yeah, sorry about that. I like one's music, and i'm rooting for the other in his race!

"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." J. Handy