Potato Recipes (Read 687 times)

I know this has nothing to do with running (well, eat and run - two things you should do daily?) and sounds really silly but is anyone who is good in the kitchen have a meatless recipe (or idea!) to recommend that uses a bag of shredded potatoes? I was going to make potato pancakes, but I dont think I can eat anymore this year. I am thinking more main-dish, but I am open to whatever. (Adding carrots or zuccinni or corn and making pancakes doesnt count. Tongue) The only thing I can think of is an omlet or smashing them with some butter and cheese, but it sounds like a lot of smashed potatoes and I leave town soon. (Good thing I have the kind of cholesterol to make you jealous!) Would shredded potatoes work in a curry or potato soup where I normally use slices? Or would the texture just be too weird?
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Curry...potatoes...? Damn, I'd eat it! I LOVE curry! I think you could always throw them in a pan with butter and cheese, as you mentioned. Maybe you could even forget the butter. Some onions would be good, too...and maybe a little cayenne pepper for extra zip. Damn...I'm hungry! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Curry...potatoes...? Damn, I'd eat it! I LOVE curry! I think you could always throw them in a pan with butter and cheese, as you mentioned. Maybe you could even forget the butter. Some onions would be good, too...and maybe a little cayenne pepper for extra zip. Damn...I'm hungry! Smile k
        As much as you might love curry, the texture just sounded weird. (I realized whether or not I like something has a lot to do with texture - weird I know.) And you might have eaten it, but I doubt it would be good by the time it got to you in Michigan. I ended up making a baked-potato soup kind of thing which actually turned out pretty decent, though I think it is better with slices rather than shreds. Can you tell I just finished my semester and I am beat? And on here way too much?
        Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

And on here way too much?
          It's never too much.
          RunningHammer

Irish Boxty pancakes? Dunno if these are the same as the pancakes you mentioned... Or you could squeeze all the water out of them, push them into a smallish griddle ring and fry in butter both sides until cooked all the way through - i forget what they're called though!
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

As much as you might love curry, the texture just sounded weird. (I realized whether or not I like something has a lot to do with texture - weird I know.) And you might have eaten it, but I doubt it would be good by the time it got to you in Michigan.
              You'd be surprised what can make it to MI safely during the Winter...one thing I love most about this time of year is having cheese shipped from my favorite dairy in WI. *heart* Wink Yeah, texture is a thing with me, too...I think it's one reason I can't get excited about corn-on-the-cob. Unless it is really fresh it has a tendency to get kinda mushy and mealy and it makes me wanna Your soup sounded really good. What all did you put in it? k

~ Sarah Kay

Running Hammer - no more potato pancakes or any variation there-of! Boxty or not! I might go nuts if I have any more! But I like the idea. Maybe next year. Cool Zoomy - I didnt follow a recipe, so I am not sure, but something like this, with some improvisations off of what I would have done given what I had in my fridge. There are some recipes on-line if you search around a bit. Sorry this isnt supper helpful! It was enough for one-person for a hearty dinner and (I expect) a smaller dinner the following night. You may want to double or tripple for a family or company. Oh, and cheese can actually stay out much longer than we all think. In fact, if you know you are going to eat it, most kinds are are better if you set it out for at least a couple hours to come to room temp. Where do you get yours from? 1 container of home-made veg stock (maybe 1.5-2 cups?) shredded potatoes (~2/3 of a 1.2 lb bag) I recommend slices\cubes in the future. 1/2 onion chopped 3-4 cloves of garlic Sliced baby carrots (I recommend leaving these out, however! You could try celery, though, or corn.) Spices - black pepper, basil, oregano, and whatever else you have in the cabinet that sounds good. Simmer on low-heat for about 15 mins - until it looked cooked enough to eat. Slowly add some flour (maybe 1/2 cup? Enough to thicken it a bit) Slowly add some milk (maybe 1/2-1 cup? Compromise between having some left over for breakfast today and making creamy soup). Stir in cheese - I recommend shredded cheddar, but I didnt have enough and the mozerrella was good too. Sour cream and chives on top sound good, but I didnt have any. Enjoy!
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, and cheese can actually stay out much longer than we all think. In fact, if you know you are going to eat it, most kinds are are better if you set it out for at least a couple hours to come to room temp. Where do you get yours from?
                  Yep, cheese is better closer to room temp...I LOVES me some good cheese! My favorite place to get cheese is Renards Cheese. Their 5 year cheddar is to DIE for. Their cheddar curds (wish I could get them fresh, so that they still squeak), Muenster, and Havarti are also excellent. k

~ Sarah Kay

Yep, cheese is better closer to room temp...I LOVES me some good cheese! My favorite place to get cheese is Renards Cheese. Their 5 year cheddar is to DIE for. Their cheddar curds (wish I could get them fresh, so that they still squeak), Muenster, and Havarti are also excellent. k
                    I will have to check them out. Do they ship out of state? Good cheddar sounds, well, really good! Roll eyes I love cheese. I even eat cheese that isnt good mixed with stuff. (Reason number 15 I dont want to stay in Nashville after I gradumate - we are severely lacking in good cheese!) My dinner menus include the following: Beans and rice with cheese. Veg fajitas with cheese. Baguette with brie cheese (yes, thats dinner in my family!). Pasta with cheese. Minestrone with cheese. Smack and cheese. Cheese pizza. Cheese omlet. Stir-fry. Curry. (Those are the exception!). And if I am feeling extravagant, cheese fondue. Did I mention I somehow managed to not aquire my dads high cholesterol? Mine would make any cheese-lover jealous. I am convinced that lack of cheese is the reason I am so cranky on Thanksgiving. My parents insist on this weird custom of eating turkey (they dont really eat meat other days of the year), and we follow this even weirder ancient tradition prohibiting eating dairy products with turkey, so the lack of cheese, not to mention the pie with butterless crusts and served without whipped-cream or vanilla ice-cream and no milk with dessert, which all seems to add up to enough to make me a bit batty. They blame it on stress and fatigue and travel, but I think it is dairy-deprival induced moodiness. Tongue
                      I checked out the site - while it looks yummy, shipping is exensive. Maybe next year. Cry
                      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Did I mention I somehow managed to not aquire my dads high cholesterol? Mine would make any cheese-lover jealous.
                        Here is mine as of a few years ago and eating a low-carb, high fat diet (which is actually prescribed to lots of folks with high cholesterol, as backwards as it may sound, since it reduces triglycerides and helps with blood sugar issues, too): Overall Cholesterol: 154 HDL: 42 LDL: 91 Triglycerides: 107 Blood-pressure: normal - slightly low I'm guessing my HDL is even a little higher now, due to the running. And your diet sounds a lot like mine...I don't think I've lived a day without cheese in some capacity. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Yours is good. Here's mine, complete with paradoxical LDL\HDLs. Roll eyes Total Chol: 152 Trigs: 51 HDL: 81 LDL: 61
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow, and I thought MINE was good! Though I will be getting mine checked a week into the new year, so it may be better...though after holiday eating it could be much worse, too, LOL! Tongue k

~ Sarah Kay