Advice on racing downhill (Read 610 times)

clindsey

I am running a 5K tomorrow. The last mile is 3/4 mile steep downhill and then a flat 1/4 mile finish. Anyone have advice in terms of form for racing downhill? I know you are suppose to try to lean forward and get as perpendicular to the slope as possible. Anything else, like lifting knees higher that normal, not lifting at all, etc.?? thx, Charlie

A is A

Just be careful but let your body adjust naturally, it will. Take her easy and don't fight it/brake with your heels unless the hill is very, very steep. Kinda let your arms swing freely, too.
      protoplasm72

Shorter faster strides. You feel like you should take longer strides and fall down the hill but it slows you down and the pounding is bad for your legs. Just speed up your cadence and turn over as fast as you can.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

PDoe

Second the above advice, short quick strides. Swing your arms faster to get your feet to follow the rhythm. I also use the advice "Nose over knees", i.e. lean forward just a little bit like your nose is slightly further ahead than normal.
          clindsey

Thanks for the good tips. Perfect. The first mile was uphill so I started easy and finished strong on the downhill for a PR. Thanks, Charlie
              I recently read a book where the author suggested the short quick strides when running downhill to prevent a loss of control and/or knee injuries but believe it or not, I can open up when running downhill and it feels great. I had a bit of a quad niggle not long ago and felt it when running uphill but when running downhill I could just take off and go (not quite like a bat out of hell....but almost Big grin ). Anyone else do that too without injuring themselves??
              protoplasm72

Congrats on the PR clindsey Cool Cairen - It just increases the stress on your legs. You're not going to get injured every time and might never but you're still more likely to get hurt then with shorter strides. For me it does feel like I'm moving faster with big strides but when I compare times on the same hill it really is easier to go faster with short strides.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

I dont know... I live in Switzerland -So I do know up-hill (My lungs knows too, my mind loves it though). But down-hilll -I hate IT, My knees hate IT and my feet hates IT (It gives me blisters on the toe-tips) Any tips againt blisters on the toe-tips?
                  PDoe

Congrats on the PR. Excellant!
                    sluggo

John

I dont know... I live in Switzerland -So I do know up-hill (My lungs knows too, my mind loves it though). But down-hilll -I hate IT, My knees hate IT and my feet hates IT (It gives me blisters on the toe-tips) Any tips againt blisters on the toe-tips?
                      hmmmm - you live in Switzerland and I live in Massachusetts. I should be asking YOU for tips for running downhill!!! Never-the-less, here is my technique - maybe you will see something useful here. Relax your arms and let your hands drop a bit lower than usual; Extend the trailing leg/foot back a bit further than usual; Shorten your forward step - I think about dropping my lead foot straight down to remove as much jarring as possible; Relax into the downhill but don't lose control; Make sure your breathing is easy. This is where you catch your breath! If nothing else, someone that has more/better knowledge than I can correct the poor advice I've posted...

John
                      www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"