iPhone 4s wi-fi connection issues...Google is yielding no answers (Read 733 times)

Dave

I like the DNS settings reason.

WIFI services either require a password (the hotspot is password protected) or they don't.  The fact that it's a webpage tells me that it's not the WIFI password that it's asking for but you're being routed improperly to a page asking you for one.

I'd start by doing a complete restore on the phone. 

I ran a mile and I liked it, liked it, liked it.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I like the DNS settings reason.

WIFI services either require a password (the hotspot is password protected) or they don't.  The fact that it's a webpage tells me that it's not the WIFI password that it's asking for but you're being routed improperly to a page asking you for one.

I'd start by doing a complete restore on the phone. 

OK, that makes sense.  I'll give the restore a try.  This will give me an excuse to go have lunch at one of my favorite local restaurants with free wifi to see if that works.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Dave

Do you have an app installed called Onavo?

I did a quick search and it seemed like that app might cause the kind of problem that you're experiencing.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Nope.  I've had this problem since before I'd really added any apps beyond the "standards," like FB, gmail, pandora, The Weather Channel, etc.

~ Sarah Kay

Dave

I'll be interested to see if the restore resolves it.  If not, you might want to trade it out.

dgb2n@yahoo.com

ultramarathon/triathlete

I can't even go to McDonald's and use their wifi without being prompted for a password.

First of all, you should never go to McDonald's.  Ever.    Tight lips

Second, I have a Verizon iPhone 4s and CAN access free wifi hot spots (though sometimes it does not seem to work, or takes a really like time to connect).  But I am able to access the free wifi for Sephora (no clue WHY they have that) in my office gym.  Which is really weird.  But, thanks to them, I'm able to watch Netflix while I'm on the bike.  It works with my phone and iPad. 

I think maybe it's your phone being wonky?  I'll ask my friends if they have problems though.  I think everyone I know has a new iPhone. 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
              Gatorade Endurance Team

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Update: I finally was in a place with free wi-fi where I could test my phone (I had reset the network settings upon recommendation from someone on the Apple support boards).  BINGO--it worked!  

Weird.  I still don't know why my phone wouldn't play nice with the interwebs right out of the box, but at least I know how to fix it if this happens again.

BTW, Trent, the place with the free wifi was Panera...muwhahahahahaha!!!!  And their Thai chopped chicken salad is really yummy, even though I still don't like edamame.  It reminds me too much of lima beans.  Gross.

~ Sarah Kay