Workout Tips for Getting Faster (Read 213 times)

Kcoates1223

I'm looking to increase my time over some of the shorter distances. Over the past two seasons I've been geared more towards marathon training. In that time, I've ran an 18:35 5k, and a 40:07 10k. I feel that I can rather consistantly race a 19 minute 5k. I'd like to increase my speed to run sub 18. What I'm wondering is, what has worked for others in terms of workouts, paces, etc. to lower times. Also, realistically, what kind of timeframe would it take to make gains of 1:00-1:30 in a 5k. FWIW, I'm a 26 year old male, ran moderately decent in high school, and have run two marathons. I'm willing to answer any questions anyone might have that could help me, I'm just looking at some insight to push me in the right direction.

Post High School PRs

5k - 18:35 10k - 40:07 Half Marathon - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:14:23

2015 Goals

5k - 18:32(HS PR) 10k - Sub 39 Half Marathon - Sub 1:30

mikeymike

How much are you running in miles per week and miles per month? What did your marathon training look like, and what are you doing now? What's a typical week look like? And what is your time frame to peak for a 5k?

Runners run

Kcoates1223

How much are you running in miles per week and miles per month? What did your marathon training look like, and what are you doing now? What's a typical week look like? And what is your time frame to peak for a 5k?

I'm running 40-55mpw and about 180-210 a month on average.  My maraathon training was typically 6 days per week. Sunday long run (16-24 mile range), to my own fault it was pretty slow (~9:00-9:30 pace).  I ran at least one, sometimes two workouts a week, 800s at 3:10-3:20, or mile repeats at 6:40-6:50, each with 400m active recovery.  Saturdays were typically a MP run, but I let these fall behind more times than not.  No real timeframe I guess, but I am running an 8k at the end of November, and would like to run sub-6 pace, though I feel that may be a lofty goal.

Post High School PRs

2015 Goals

mikeymike

How long ago was your  marathon?

Unless you're feeling beat up and needing to recover, I'd keep your mileage where it is, or even increase it. My experience has been that ideal 5k training and ideal marathon training are not all that different.

You'll get your biggest bang for your buck from, in order:

1. Running more mileage. How much? I dunno ... as much as you can handle with your life's other responsibilities and without wearing down or getting injured. I'd advise building mileage gradually and taking a long range view. The most important thing in making progress is mileage and consistency and you can't be consistent if you're injured or sick all the time.
          2. Continuing to do long runs of 90-minutes to 2 hours, pretty much every week. Don't jog them--work on finishing strong. You can even make the last 25% of a long run a bit of a tempo run, working down to marathon pace or faster.
          3. Running hills. This includes long hill repeats, short hill repeats, and doing your long runs over hilly courses.
          4. Doing tempo runs and/or tempo intervals. 3-6 mile steady runs at 10-mile to half marathon race pace, and/or long intervals with short recoveries at 10k to 10 mile pace (such as 3 x 2 miles at 10-mile race pace with 1-2 minute jog recoveries).
          5. Strides. Do 10 x 100m or 10 x 20 seconds fast, like mile race pace once a week. This isn't really a workout--it shouldn't take much out of you. Do it on an easy day, in the middle of an easy run.
          6. Intervals at 5k pace or faster. You need very little of this type of work to run a good 5k. This is the icing on the cake. Workouts like 6 x 800, 5 x 1000, or 3 x mile at 5k pace. I'd try to only do these in the last few weeks before a goal 5k.

You can probably handle 2 workouts + a long run most weeks. Easy runs of 45-60 minutes on the other days.

Runners run

The above post needs to be stickied somewhere.

The above post needs to be stickied somewhere.

Need to send it to my son's HS coach. He got the same list, only in reverse order.  

Kcoates1223

How long ago was your  marathon?

Unless you're feeling beat up and needing to recover, I'd keep your mileage where it is, or even increase it. My experience has been that ideal 5k training and ideal marathon training are not all that different.

You'll get your biggest bang for your buck from, in order:

1. Running more mileage. How much? I dunno ... as much as you can handle with your life's other responsibilities and without wearing down or getting injured. I'd advise building mileage gradually and taking a long range view. The most important thing in making progress is mileage and consistency and you can't be consistent if you're injured or sick all the time.
                2. Continuing to do long runs of 90-minutes to 2 hours, pretty much every week. Don't jog them--work on finishing strong. You can even make the last 25% of a long run a bit of a tempo run, working down to marathon pace or faster.
                3. Running hills. This includes long hill repeats, short hill repeats, and doing your long runs over hilly courses.
                4. Doing tempo runs and/or tempo intervals. 3-6 mile steady runs at 10-mile to half marathon race pace, and/or long intervals with short recoveries at 10k to 10 mile pace (such as 3 x 2 miles at 10-mile race pace with 1-2 minute jog recoveries).
                5. Strides. Do 10 x 100m or 10 x 20 seconds fast, like mile race pace once a week. This isn't really a workout--it shouldn't take much out of you. Do it on an easy day, in the middle of an easy run.
                6. Intervals at 5k pace or faster. You need very little of this type of work to run a good 5k. This is the icing on the cake. Workouts like 6 x 800, 5 x 1000, or 3 x mile at 5k pace. I'd try to only do these in the last few weeks before a goal 5k.

You can probably handle 2 workouts + a long run most weeks. Easy runs of 45-60 minutes on the other days.

I ran Chicago on 10/12.  I feel fine now and was back to running quickly, as I backed off the speed at mile 18 after cramping pretty bad.  I've eased back in but I intend on keeping at least 40 miles weekly.  I appreciate the info and I definitely intend on putting them into practice.  One thing is that I live in Chicago, so hills are something that don't really exist, so is there a way to supplement a hilly workout?

Post High School PRs

2015 Goals

One thing is that I live in Chicago, so hills are something that don't really exist, so is there a way to supplement a hilly workout?

You could cross train by hitting the treadmill. I know its not running, but it should help.

And we run because we like it
                  Through the broad bright land

NHLA

Run some over passes or bridges if you don't have hills.

Do speed work with runners you are competing with in races. You will run faster.

We have a cross country series 7 races for $50. Find a runner faster than me and see how long I can keep up.

If I blow up because I ran too fast who cares. This never works but it will teach you not to come out too fast.

One thing is that I live in Chicago, so hills are something that don't really exist, so is there a way to supplement a hilly workout?

Stadiums steps are an excellent workout.  Do you have access to a high school stadium somewhere?

DigDug2

Mikeymike's post is a great guide for well-rounded training - agree that it should be stickied for reference.  For me, I would do more 5k-pace intervals than he recommends - I think you need to get used to running faster.  Mix it up every week, getting 4500-6000 meters of 5k pace running - ladders, 6x800, 5x1000, etc.  Keep the recoveries sharp.  My favorite 5k workout, which I save for the few weeks before a goal race, is "Deek's quarters" (http://running.competitor.com/2013/12/training/workout-of-the-week-deeks-quarters_12386) - 400 repeats with a 200 "cruising" recovery that doesn't let you recover much and mimics the feeling of a 5k race by the end.

Feeling the growl again

Great advice here.

I am one who did best at 5K off "marathon training", ie high mileage, when multiple rounds of "5K training" failed to better my 5K PR.  But  even in marathon training I did 8-10 weeks of intervals of 400-1600m (4-5 miles' worth of volume in a workout) at 3K-10K pace.  I do believe in getting some time in with intervals faster than 5K pace so that 5K pace is comfortable (the term is relative).  Accelerations are also good for this.  Then I'd transition to longer (2K-2 mile) intervals for a few weeks.

I also like alternating pace workouts where recoveries are not really recovery.  Say 4X(8minON/4minOFF) or my favorite, 10minON/5OFF/8ON/4OFF/6ON/3OFF/4ON/2OFF/2ON.  ON pace at or close to 5K and OFF pace a bit slower than MP.  For example when running 2:30ish (5:40 pace) I'd hit the ON paces 5:05 or so and OFF paces 6-flat.  These workouts all train your body to operate at a higher lactate level.  Another version I've seen for the track is to run the curves at tempo pace or close to it, then 10K pace or a bit faster on the straightaways.

MTA:  On the topic of stickies, THIS is applicable here.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

mikeymike

Yeah if you don't have hills where you live you can do hill workouts on a treadmill. Be careful though--I think hill workouts should always be done by effort, not by pace. On most hill workouts, my uphills (work) are slower than my downhills (recovery), sometimes significantly so,  which is the opposite of every other kind of workout. The only exception is short hill charges. Those are fast.

The other option is just overcompensate for a lack of hills with tempos and long runs, but that has its limitations.

As for the volume of work at 5k pace, yeah everyone is different. Too much work in that range causes me to peak too early and burn out before I get to my goal race. It takes me very few real workouts at 5k pace or faster to get ready to race. 5k races on the other hand don't have the same effect (for me). I can race 5k's quite often, even during base mode and it generally only helps. A 5k race when I'm not really in 5k shape is more of an LT workout than a VO2max workout (not to get technical) so generally only help.

Runners run

I try do 5k track workouts most weeks of the year, no matter what is on the race calendar.  That's mostly because we get a good group of guys at the track as part of my running club.  We have a "coach" (just a teammate) who sets the workout every week in a group e-mail.

If I didn't have that group aspect, I would never do that kind of structured workout on my own.  When I am feeling good, these are the highlight of the week training wise.  When I am feeling bad, these might to a little more harm than good because it takes two or three days to recover properly.  I have no doubt though that the 5k of intervals is a heck of a lot better for any race distance than whatever slower paced run I would be doing on my own.

Feeling the growl again

Hills are always good if you have access to them.  If you don't have hills and race on the flats as well, you'll be okay.  I'm in that situation as well.  But if you plan on traveling to hilly races, you darn well better do something to get in some hills or you will be adversely impacted.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills