Tapering Sucks (Read 745 times)

Week 1 of a 4 week taper  peak phase of training (MTA.... change from taper to peak )

I'm bored.....

I want to run. 

I want to ride my bicycle, I want to ride my bike..... (ding ding, Queen)

I want to swim

But, here I am, at lunch, sitting at a computer, wishing I was at the gym like I've been for the past 30+ weeks every day.... UGH!

Smile

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

northernman

Fight The Future

Week 1 of a 4 week taper....

I'm bored.....

I want to run. 

I want to swim

But, here I am, at lunch, sitting at a computer, wishing I was at the gym like I've been for the past 30+ weeks every day.... UGH!

Smile

I sympathize. Just starting my two week taper now, and already bored of it. Hardly seems worth changing clothes for just a 4 mile run. Say, why are you doing such a long taper? I'm thinking of just doing a single week taper with my next marathon (after this one in May)

why are you doing such a long taper?

Ironman on May 19.

This week is technically a rest week.

Next 2 weeks are peak weeks (2 main shorter workouts)

Race week is easy week.

Life Goals:

Week 1 of a 4 week taper....

I'm bored.....

I want to run. 

I want to swim

Smile

4 weeks? Why so long?

I'm only taking 3 days before a 5K and I'm going NUTS!!

I know you really don't need to for a 5 but game 7 was on last night and taper sounds better than oooh hockey.

My sport's your sport's punishment

2012 goals

100 Km month         150 K month      200K month

5K run    10K run     20K run              30K run

sub 30 min 5K         sub 55min 10K

Slo

4 weeks? Why so long?

+1

It's been a long time since I trained for a full but just taking a peak at your log I think 4 weeks is over kill...maybe even detrimental. Then again, I don't know what you are considering a taper.

I see no reason for a "Down Week" or "Back Off Week" when you are 4 weeks out and will be going into a taper anyhow.

Are you following somebodies plan?

MTA...Looking at my old excell logs...I used 4 weeks out as my ultra high volume week then did a 3 week taper but really the last 2 weeks is where the main taper was.

MTA #2...I see your almost done with Week 1 of 4. Didn't mean to plant any seeds of doubt, if I had, you know, with a full ironman hanging in front you. The real work is done, everything from here is just icing.

+1

It's been a long time since I trained for a full but just taking a peak at your log I think 4 weeks is over kill...maybe even detrimental. Then again, I don't know what you are considering a taper.

I see no reason for a "Down Week" or "Back Off Week" when you are 4 weeks out and will be going into a taper anyhow.

Are you following somebodies plan?

MTA...Looking at my old excell logs...I used 4 weeks out as my ultra high volume week then did a 3 week taper but really the last 2 weeks is where the main taper was.

Yes, Gordo & Friel's plan.  Taper isn't quite the proper word, but I'm using it to be the 4 weeks prior to race day after the build phase is complete.  It's really the Peak part of the training.

T-28 days (4 weeks prior) is the end of the Build phase.

T-28 - T-21 is rest week (prevent activity above HRzone 2) with 40% of normal activity

T-21 - T-14 has 2 race simulation workouts (bricks) totaling about 3 hours midweek and 4.25 hours for Saturday as well as 3 swim workouts

T-14 - T-7 has 2 race simulation workouts with shorter workouts Wed & Sat as well as 3 swim workouts

T-7 - T-1 keep fresh, don't remember the finest details....

T-0 kick ass!

Today is T-22.

Life Goals:

DoppleBock

I week taper not enough

Typically 2-3 weeks is right.  Which one depends on the individual and their training

4 - I have not heard of a 4 weeks taper.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

MTA #2...I see your almost done with Week 1 of 4. Didn't mean to plant any seeds of doubt, if I had, you know, with a full ironman hanging in front you. The real work is done, everything from here is just icing.

Of course there's a little doubt Smile

No, you haven't planted any additional seeds.

It's all good!  I'm confident in my strategy.

As you said, the real work is done, and everything now is getting race ready.

(I think taper is the wrong word for the peak process.... maybe shouldn't have used that word)

Life Goals:

Feeling the growl again

I like a 3 week taper (for marathon)

Week 1:  Keep all quality workouts, but cutting back volume -->  awesome, superhuman-feeling workouts

Week 2:  One last short workout early in week, the rest lighter...legs feel awesome

Week 3:  The only one that feels miserable doing little.

For a 10K I found 5 days to be enough taper....but it depends how you count it, the few weeks before that are tapering volume but include some very hard workouts.

For an Ironman I have no clue.  Probably eat a lot so I get fat and can float right.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Slice

I agree...tapering blows. And mine is shot to hell due to a bunch of personal stuff. Not running the right workouts, doing too much cross training on my legs. I'm wrapping up week 2 of a 3 week taper. Hopefully I can at least get next week right. And stop eating like I'm still running 45 mpw. Oh well. Live and learn.

Good luck on your ironman! I think it's amazing that you even have the guts to train for one, let alone race one.

I don't half-ass anything

"I have several close friends who have run marathons, a word that is actually derived from two Swahili words: mara, which means 'to die a horrible death' and thon, which means 'for a stupid T-shirt.' Look it up." - Celia Rivenbark, You Can't Drink All Day if You Don't Start in the Morning