Varicose vein and running (Read 109 times)

Mells

Can running be the cause of varicose veins? I started running 6 months ago and has loved it. But the varicose veins are not letting me run long distances. It hurts every time. I don't know what to do.  I have tried not running for a few days, but when I start again, Its still the same. I took an appointment at a vein clinic in Toronto, ( Vaughan Vein Clinic) who deals with the removal of such veins. Before I go there, I would like to get a second opinion. Is there a cure for this? Please advise.

#artbydmcbride

I know someone with this issue (lower leg) who feels wearing compression knee highs work for him.    But the clinic is a good idea.

Runners run

JanaLamb

How about running on a synthetic track or grassy surface to lessen the high-impact of cement or pavement?

Increase Speed and Stamina Blog

RunninOnion

I'm not a doctor but I've had problems with varicose veins and, thinking back to the research that I did about varicose veins, I don't recall any mention of running being a causal factor.

The key phrase that's used to describe the cause of varicose veins is that the valves in the veins are "incompetent".

As a background, arteries distribute oxygen rich blood to the body while veins return the blood to the heart which sends the blood to the lungs to expel CO2 and to take in oxygen. Blood flows well when working with gravity but the veins in the legs have a series of valves whose function is to ensure that the blood flows "up hill" from the legs.

When a valve does not close completely, blood flows back through the valve and starts to "pool" in the section of the vein between the two valves. The leakage and back flow cause problems - the vein expands and can become painful and I believe that this can lead to an increased likelihood of a deep vein thrombosis ("DVT").

Varicose veins are a non-emergent issue that can usually be controlled or resolved but they also can be an indicator of an underlying, significant issue.

The reason that I poked my nose into varicose is that I've had varicose veins that were sufficiently bad that the only course of action was to have surgery. I had radio frequency bilateral veinous ablation of the greater saphenous veins in July, 2013. The operation was performed on an outpatient basis and I was able to resume running within a few weeks of the operation. By all measures the operation was a complete success with no recurrence of varicosity.

My recommendation - see a doctor immediately. While varicose veins are not life threatening, the reason to see a doctor is that you're establishing a baseline and, second, a doctor may be able to develop a treatment plan to resolve the issue before it gets painful.

Best of luck with this - see you on the road!