Rigid Or Semi-rigid V/s Soft Orthotics (Read 534 times)

bone_china

I have 2 different types of orthotics for treating shin splints made by two different podiatrists – 1) semi rigid ones made of polypropylene and 2) a relatively softer pair made mostly of EVA and other composites. Both have very unique feel to them. Let me explain…. The semi rigid ones provide significant support but are intrusive……I mean, they are always "there" and one can "feel" them even after running for some time, my feet havent "internalised" them. The softer ones are extremely comfortable, they almost become a seamless part of my lower anatomy (shoe, feet, orthotics combination) and after a few minutes and I dont even realise they are there. However they don’t feel as “reassuring” as the rigid ones for support. I would also assume that the EVA would not last as long as the polypropylene ones. The podiatrist who made the EVA orthotics said, the principle behind making them softer is to impart control without increasing impact forces. Both types are helping me with my shin splints. Which type of orthotics do you use. Also, would like to ask podiatrists on this forum their expert opinion on which type they normally prescribe to treat shin splints.
      b_c, FWIW, I haven't used soft orthotics, but I have used the rigid orthotics that were prescribed to me by a Podiatrist for plantar fasciitis. I do recall that there was definitely a period of adjustment and acclimation with the orthotics. I had to begin by wearing them for short periods, just walking, and then build up from there as my feet adjusted. Once I got used to the orthotics, I didn't even know they were there. They worked wonders for me. I don't know which type is better for your situation, but as far as the rigid orthotics go, have you given your feet time to really adjust to them?

"You can't have everything. Where would you put it?" - Steven Wright