Are there any runners out there with rheumatoid arthritis? (Read 86 times)

Member Since 2008

Just trying to see if there are any runners that have RA and how they deal with it and running.

My buddy has RA, and doesn't really have any issues with running. BUT, he has modified his diet and doesn't eat anything that could/would contribute to inflammation. Also, is on meds as well.

My wife has RA and she runs and is always active (1/2 marathon, triathlons, lots of swimming).

My son (22 years old) has RA and he runs.  He's run a marathon at age 21, but his training was minimal (max about 25 - 30 miles a week).

Both take prescription drugs (the kind marketed on TV) to help with their condition.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

kilkee

runktrun

I can tell you after my appointment on the 19th :P  Maybe not RA, but I definitely have "more arthritis than a 30 yr old should" and an assortment of other AI-like issues.  It's frustrating, for sure.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Member Since 2008

Thanks for the input, I was diagnosed about two and a half years ago, meds worked great, then two months ago they just stopped working.  Now I'm really struggling.  I need to look at the diet things.

My wife has had success with some meds and struggled with others.

My wife has had years of success with some meds and then struggled with the same meds, forcing her to try others... and eventually going back to the med that worked well for her.

RA is not fun.

Good days and bad.

Stay active. 
              (Learn to swim and use that activity when you're having bad days.  My wife has found that she can still swim, even on her worst RA days)

Be flexible and be willing to adjust your training plans.  ---  I know you know that.

Cheers,

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life