Marathons 5 weeks apart - any suggestions for how I should train? (Read 1099 times)

Chip59

I don't want to lose conditioning (too early to taper), yet want to be rested. How would you plan for 5 weeks apart? Should I do another long run and if so, at MP? 

Jill_B

I fly.

I have no idea how fast you are or what your training schedule is, but when I've run marathons back to back, I usually train like I'm just running the first marathon and then I don't do much of anything (including run long again) until the second one.  But my marathon times are not spectacular.  

Bring it on.

Kalsarikännit

There is a Hal Higdon plan for multiple marathons.  He has it for 4 and 6 weeks apart.  It is pretty low on mileage, but you have two rest days where you can throw some more miles in.   In the week before the marathon I might drop down the long run (10-12 miles?) to do a mini-taper again, since in the 4 week plan he has you doing a 2-3 hour run the week before the marathon.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

Chip59

Thanks for the replies!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'd treat the first one in the regular way, then I'd get some decent volume of running in for the next two weeks -- with or without a long run (I wouldn't worry too much about it), then do a regular taper for the second.

Caveat: I'm no expert, I'm just feeling my way through my training, and making it up.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

I know the answer to this question.

I know the answer to this question.

I bet you do.  I really wish I got to say hello on Monday, are you planning to run Monkey this year or boycotting to protest Ternt's Boston Massacre?

E.J.
                Greater Lowell Road Runners
                Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

There is a Hal Higdon plan for multiple marathons.  He has it for 4 and 6 weeks apart.  It is pretty low on mileage, but you have two rest days where you can throw some more miles in.   In the week before the marathon I might drop down the long run (10-12 miles?) to do a mini-taper again, since in the 4 week plan he has you doing a 2-3 hour run the week before the marathon.

I like that a lot, and it's very timely.  When I saw that Ternt was coming to blow up the thermometers in Boston, I booked Sugarloaf which is on May 20th.

Thanks kiddo, you're OK (but everybody here already knew that).

E.J.
                  Greater Lowell Road Runners
                  Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.

xor

Sorry I didn't see you.  The post-race thingy occurred while I was sleeping in a bathtub.

Unclear on Monkey, but not because of philosophical differences.  Perhaps.

Original poster didn't say a whole lot in the first post which I learned elsewhere.

He isn't eyeing two races five weeks apart down the road... he has already run the first one, and the next one is coming. And it is 4 weeks away, not 5.

No idea how the first one was approached, nor how he's feeling... though I asked.  Nor what the previous race was (was it hilly and badass hot, etc) nor what the next one is.

He did look at the higdon info and thought the plan called for too much, especially the 20 miler.

I don't want to lose conditioning (too early to taper), yet want to be rested. How would you plan for 5 weeks apart? Should I do another long run and if so, at MP? 

If you've done the homework, you're not going to "lose conditioning" in 5 weeks.  Be more concerned and careful with recovery.

Chip59

srlopez - last marathon race was average...not flat, but not super hilly.  Temp was fine. My legs seem okay, but it did take a lot out of me in terms of energy.  Next marathon is one I have never ran, but does not appear to be super hilly either. Don't know what the weather is going to be...but if normal - no hotter than mid 60's. 

Thanks again to everyone for all the feedback!