Running during a heat wave (Read 611 times)

Christirei

I am in the midwest and smack dab in the middle of a heat wave. It's miserable out. i have been running for a while, so I tend to follow the just slow down rule when it gets this hot in July. My question is that my hubby has been traveling a lot this summer so I have been doing one week of running on a treadmill all week then doing a long run over the weekend and feeling terrible, then running outside for a week and doing a long run on the weekend and feeling okay, and then promptly go back to running indoors again. I can definitely tell that I am not acclimating to the heat at all. This was another indoor running week for me and this weekend is supposed to be a ten mile run. It's going to be 100 degrees on Friday and  100 degrees on Saturday, so probably high 70's or close to 80 when I head out in the early morning. I'm already dreading it. running long in that kind of weather does not appeal. Any thoughts? I am considering just running indoors but wouldn't go for the full length....I have a treadmill problem. I can run about an hour max and then just. have. to. get. off.

I already take lots of water and hydrate during the week and all of that, just wondering if anyone out there thinks it is even worth it. I am early in my training for a fall half, so i'm not super motivated to hit the mileage for the weekend anyway

there's no doubt about it, you will be running slower during the heat wave, but i don't know if i would go as far as consider it junk mileage. you're taking all of the right steps for running during the extreme heat. i live up in chicago, so i know what you're going through. you're best bet is to try and wave up early and continue be out the door by 530a or so if possible.

here's some other blog posts

http://vitals.lifehacker.com/how-to-get-used-to-exercising-in-the-heat-and-why-you-1716804690

http://vitals.lifehacker.com/here-s-how-much-slower-you-run-in-the-heat-1782687837

https://www.instagram.com/tfilarski/

Joann Y

Just go run. Figure out if it will be inside or outside and then just get the job done. I wouldn't spend a lot of time thinking about it.

Just go run. Figure out if it will be inside or outside and then just get the job done. I wouldn't spend a lot of time thinking about it.

Yep.

Get off my porch

Christirei

ran outside, it was miserable, i feel like crap. trying to rehydrate now

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

That's how it works. Last couple days, I've lost ~ 1 lb per mile run as sweat. That means that over a 4 mile run, I sweat out a half gallon. It sucks, but it acclimates and strengthens you for a fall running season.

And always remember the Misery Index. Temperature + Dew Point. If it is above 140, it is miserable. Above 150 truly sucks. Above 160 is dangerous. Most of this week around here it has been ~165. Makes running awesome. Not. But it does make the post-run beer all the more wonderful.

ran outside, it was miserable, i feel like crap. trying to rehydrate now

Prince of Fatness

That's how it works. Last couple days, I've lost ~ 1 lb per mile run as sweat. That means that over a 4 mile run, I sweat out a half gallon. It sucks, but it acclimates and strengthens you for a fall running season.

And always remember the Misery Index. Temperature + Dew Point. If it is above 140, it is miserable. Above 150 truly sucks. Above 160 is dangerous. Most of this week around here it has been ~165. Makes running awesome. Not. But it does make the post-run beer all the more wonderful.

I just got back from running and I'm guessing that the number was around 150. Honestly it was not that bad. But, dew point was low 60s which is quite tolerable. And there was a good breeze. And it was a shady trail run.  So you can mitigate to some degree.

Not at it at all. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I just looked. Your current temp is 89, your dew point 61. 150. Nice. I dream of 150 these days.

I just got back from running and I'm guessing that the number was around 150. Honestly it was not that bad. But, dew point was low 60s which is quite tolerable. And there was a good breeze. And it was a shady trail run.  So you can mitigate to some degree.

Prince of Fatness

I just looked. Your current temp is 89, your dew point 61. 150. Nice. I dream of 150 these days.

Indeed, I was pleasantly surprised. I was out late last night and was dreading running this morning as it wasn't happening early. But the breeze and the shade made it quite enjoyable.

Not at it at all. 

Art in AZ

That would be cool here right now. I live in Mesa, AZ where the temp in the morning is usually the high 80s to 90 degrees. And if we add humidity or dew point it can get miserable. But you get use to the heat if you run outside all the time like I do. Yes, some days are better than others. I start out with two bottles of water frozen on my belt and some soft chews that I suck on. Depending on the route I take I also get water from some lawn sprinklers on the way. And if I feel exhausted during a run, which is almost every run right now, I just walk for a while and then start running again. This morning's run was only 5 miles and it was 95 degrees when I finished. At 8:30 AM. Tomorrow is a long run again.

If you have a bicycle you should consider using it. I'll go on a 1.5 to 2 hour bike ride instead of running for an hour. You're still getting some exercise and it's a little easier on your body. Especially since your still three months from your half.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Right now showing 103+62 = 165. Same as what we've been getting midday.

Mesa, AZ 

MTA: right now in Nashville we are 92+74... Smile

And always remember the Misery Index. Temperature + Dew Point. If it is above 140, it is miserable. Above 150 truly sucks. Above 160 is dangerous.

I never thought of it as a misery index, I knew that it sucked running in weather like this. I'll hydrate like a mofo for the nek few hours then run later, around 8pm. Right now the misery index here is 89+69= 158

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I never thought of it as a misery index, I knew that it sucked running in weather like this. 

Check it - https://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/37020cd2d1cf48c2b5e02c99c440537b/1

I often call it the suckage factor rather than the misery index.

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

You can leverage your everyday non-running environment to support heat acclimation, too. A few ideas:

1. Drive around with your car windows up + no AC/fan.

2. Keep your home/office AC set high, e.g., 78-80F. (Not at night, though. You need to sleep.)

3. Keep your treadmill room a little warmer than you'd like, plus leave the fan off if you can stand it. (Extra credit if you throw a humidifier in there! :-D)

Make sure you drink enough water when trying these things, because heat acclimation = sweating more, earlier.

Good luck - glad you made it thru the run.

^^^That's AWESOME, and yes it does suck, at least I think it does. I don't think my suckage factor will change by much by 8pm. The best i can hope for will be a sea breeze to make it a little more tolerable. This is my LEAST favorite season. Trent's post, CH17 beat me to my post. I don't have AC in my house, not central AC at least. I have a few window units i can/could put in if need be. It doesn't really stay hot enough, long enough for me to need AC.