MY FIRST IRONMAN - Beach to Battleship Race Report (Read 2447 times)

Thanks Karen! I'm proud to know you too. Smile 

Tony- what a fantastic report. I'm proud to know you.
    T-Bone

Puttin' on the foil

Great job Tony.  Great race report!

Don't be obsessed with your desires Danny. The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Thanks Troy!

Great job Tony.  Great race report!

Mariposai

“We shall draw from the heart of suffering itself the means of inspiration and survival.” – Winston Churchill

I can’t describe the feeling, but it has been 4 days and I’m still on an Ironman high.  I’m so thankful to be blessed with the health, the time to train, the encouragement of everyone.  It was every bit as tough, as dramatic, as exciting, as motivating, as emotional and inspirational as I had imagined.  

I normally don't take the time to explore beyond the Master's forum, time does not allow me, but when I saw your report your quote was alluring enough to read the whole report. BTW, this quote is one of my favorites!

Congrats on your great victory!!!!

Thanks for sharing your adventure...it was very inspirational to me, a mere marathon runner!!!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

An absolutely fabulous report & congrats on becoming an ironman Tony!  I totally relate to your fears in the swim and I felt nervous for you reading the first few paragraphs, but you did it and you did brilliantly!

I've never contemplated doing an ironman or even a shorter triathlon because of the swimming, but your report actually made me think about it seriously for the first time (just don't tell my wife!).

Congratulations again!

Thanks Mariposai! ....but I know to be a Marathon Maniac, you have to be more than a "mere" marathon runner. Wink

I normally don't take the time to explore beyond the Master's forum, time does not allow me, but when I saw your report your quote was alluring enough to read the whole report. BTW, this quote is one of my favorites!

Congrats on your great victory!!!!

Thanks for sharing your adventure...it was very inspirational to me, a mere marathon runner!!!

Thanks RothRunner! Be careful... once you start, it's really tough to stop!

An absolutely fabulous report & congrats on becoming an ironman Tony!  I totally relate to your fears in the swim and I felt nervous for you reading the first few paragraphs, but you did it and you did brilliantly!

I've never contemplated doing an ironman or even a shorter triathlon because of the swimming, but your report actually made me think about it seriously for the first time (just don't tell my wife!).

Congratulations again!

(just don't tell my wife!).

Yes, a whole need range a spending opportunities. A tri bike, tri suit, wet suit ... there's a couple of  thousand pounds just for starters Smile

Love the race reports.  Keep 'em coming! Maybe someday I'll have the balls to swim that far...

Goals for 2013: sub 18 5K; stay healthy

Impact& sport adventurer

Awesome report Tony!!

Running 25 minutes slower than your PB Marathon in an Ironman means you executed your race (especially the bike) brilliantly!! I'm currently 53 minutes slower (I have biked too hard).

"They" say if you do the right training and execute appropriately on race day, you should run about 20 minutes slower than your PB marathon - seems like you executed very well on race day.

Looking at Iron-distance Kalmar Triathlon in Sweden 18 Aug 2012. You keen? Smile Training in Oxford, UK at the moment.

PBs: 1 mile - 4:59 (2008) 5k - 17:34 (2011) 10k - 37:40 (2011 in Blenheim Half), 21k - 1:21:32 (2011 Blenheim) 42.2k - 2:59:24 (NYC 2011), Ironman - 10:28:43 (2010 Hawaii)

2011 Goals: Olympic Tri - 2h05min (2h09min), 5k: 17:30 (17:34) 10k: 37:00 (did not attempt), 21km: 1:21:00 (1:21:32), 42.2: 2:59:59 (2:59:24)

True! There is ALWAYS something to spend $s on and you get good at rationalizing why it is justified. Smile

Yes, a whole need range a spending opportunities. A tri bike, tri suit, wet suit ... there's a couple of  thousand pounds just for starters Smile

Thanks DiamondJ! I don't think swimming that far would be any trouble for someone with a FIRST marathon of 2:40 something!

Love the race reports.  Keep 'em coming! Maybe someday I'll have the balls to swim that far...

Thanks Tahlgren! I see that not ONLY did you make it to Kona, you did a 10:28 there in 2010, so even if you slowed down on the run, you were still posted an awesome time anyway!

Ha! I don't think my budget will allow travel to Sweden! Good luck to you if you do it!

Awesome report Tony!!

Running 25 minutes slower than your PB Marathon in an Ironman means you executed your race (especially the bike) brilliantly!! I'm currently 53 minutes slower (I have biked too hard).

"They" say if you do the right training and execute appropriately on race day, you should run about 20 minutes slower than your PB marathon - seems like you executed very well on race day.

Looking at Iron-distance Kalmar Triathlon in Sweden 18 Aug 2012. You keen? Smile Training in Oxford, UK at the moment.