Ironman World Championship Thread (Read 92 times)

2014 race is today (Kona, HI).  Race starts in about 2.5 hours (7am local time).  They're awake and heading to the beach now.

Today may be a fast race.  High temperature of 86*, 5mph wind. 49% humidity.  We might be in for a treat with some great racing.

Woman Pro's:

-Miranda Carfrae was solid last year.  She ran a 2:50:38 (3rd fastest overall, including men).  She was first woman in 8:52.  She's fun to watch.

Men's Pro's

-Luke McKenzie was solid last year.  He finished 2nd overall (8:15) and looked like he could win a world championship.  He ran a 2:57, and lost his 3 minute lead going into the run and finished 3 minutes behind the winner last year.

Age Grouper's:

-Apolo Anton Ohno (Olympic speed skater) will be racing.  He's racing with Chocolate Milk sponsorship and has been taking his training very seriously as an amateur.  His 70.3 training race leading up to this race was a sub-5:00.  He may finish sub 10:30 today.  He started this Ironman stuff earlier this year or late last year.

Anybody else have any favorites to watch / follow?

I think a couple of our RunningAhead people may be racing today.

Live video for the day / night can be found here starting at 11 CST, I believe.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

Thanks for the link.  Been watching most of the afternoon now.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

I was wrong about McKenzie.  He's struggling.

Carfrae was 14:30 behind 1st place on the bike.  She may not win.

Apolo Ohno was 167th after the swim (1:00:29).  That's fast.

For the bike, he just finished in 5:07:15 at 21.87mph.  Overall, he's in 215th.

(total transition time of about 8 minutes)

Total time going into the run is 6:15:46.

He needs a 3:44:00 to break 10 hours.

Life Goals:

2nd place now, and less than 2:00 behind the leader with about 4 miles to go.  This'll be fun.

Life Goals:

Running Rev'd

I didn't get to see much of the run since I was going out for my birthday, but I can't believe Rinny ran everyone down. That's just incredible.

So impressed by Apolo Ohno. Not that nobody knew he was a solid athlete, but a lot can go wrong in a race as long as an Ironman. Sub-10 is incredible.

My brother's girlfriend raced her first Ironman and finished 4th in her AG with a 10:20:06. Oh yeah, and she's in medical school. So incredibly proud of her!

Called to Endure - Blog

"Everyone gets the sunset. Only the dedicated earn the sunrise."

I was wrong about McKenzie.  He's struggling.

Apolo Ohno was 167th after the swim (1:00:29).  That's fast.

For the bike, he just finished in 5:07:15 at 21.87mph.  Overall, he's in 215th.

(total transition time of about 8 minutes)

Total time going into the run is 6:15:46.

He needs a 3:44:00 to break 10 hours.

He ran 3:36:41.  Broke 10 hours.  Wow!

Link says (video of him finishing as well): "Apolo Ohno, the most decorated U.S. Winter Olympian ever, completed the Ironman World Championships in Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, in 9 hours, 52 minutes, 27 seconds, on Saturday.

Ohno, 32, swam 2.4 miles (1:00:29), biked 112 miles (5:07:15) and ran a marathon (3:36:41) back to back to back. He won eight Olympic medals from 2002 to 2010 but never skated an individual distance greater than 1500m. Ohno also won “Dancing with the Stars.”

A little perspective:

Ohno was 15 seconds behind Carfrae for the swim, and 1.5 minutes slower on the bike.

Off the bike, Ohno was only 4 minutes behind Carfrae's time.  Ohno was 45 minutes slower on the run, though.

That's impressive!

And Carfrae won by 2:00.  Took a 14:32 deficit and won by 2:00.  2:50:30 for the marathon.

Life Goals:

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Ohno is an amazing guy - I've got tremendous respect for him.  (Let it be said, I don't know anything about the other Ironmen.)