Rushing heat acclimation (Read 1102 times)

An Ironman in May in Houston seems like a bad idea.

In order to have water warm enough to swim in, the air needs to be warm...

In some cases, it ends out being hot.

Most Ironman events sell out in about a day or so.  Surprisingly ( Smile ), this event wasn't sold out on day 1....

Last year, I did an event that handed out ice-water sponges at every water station.  At every water station, I grabbed 2 or 3 of them, and stuffed them in my shirt.  By the end of the event, I had about 30 or 40 sponges helping me keep my blood temperature under control.  I felt great that day (and it was about 85* to 90*).

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

xor

If the big daddy can be in Hawai'i a month after summer ends (I know, I know, Hawai'i...summer...whatever) then there can exist an event in Texas a month before summer begins.

(that said.  Woodlands in May, yeah.  hot n sticky.  Hopefully late in the season for thunderstorms)

I knew someone will call me out on that Kona thing, but won't people be acclimatized  a bit better for a fall event than for a Late spring event? Anyway there are worse ideas out there, so what do I know

I've been wondering about this for the Peachtree Road Race. I'll be as acclimated as I can be by that point, but still....it's a 10K through midtown Atlanta on July 4th with a zillion other people. Doesn't make me optimistic about running a PR.

xor

I knew someone will call me out on that Kona thing, but won't people be acclimatized  a bit better for a fall event than for a Late spring event? Anyway there are worse ideas out there, so what do I know

You are quite right.

(anyway, I still sigh heavily when marathons cancel themselves halfway through... or the night before... for temps in the 70s and 80s.  And I bet we get a lot more of that this year)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I've been wondering about this for the Peachtree Road Race. I'll be as acclimated as I can be by that point, but still....it's a 10K through midtown Atlanta on July 4th with a zillion other people. Doesn't make me optimistic about running a PR.

It must be your 1st Peachtree. Peachtree and PR do not mix!

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Ojo

I definitely felt the effects of warm temps yesterday.  It was 57 to start and probably peaked in the low 60s.  I had a hard time staying hydrated and had leg cramps for the first time in a long time.  I drank plenty of fluids and had a few extra s-caps but I still struggled.  The last 5 miles were rough but somehow I managed to control the cramps and picked up the pace for the last 1.5 miles.

Even with the hydration problems, I still managed to PR by 15 minutes on a tougher course.  And next time I won't forget the suntan lotion!  Big grin

Sara

MM #2929

I definitely felt the effects of warm temps yesterday.  It was 57 to start and probably peaked in the low 60s.  I had a hard time staying hydrated and had leg cramps for the first time in a long time.  I drank plenty of fluids and had a few extra s-caps but I still struggled.  The last 5 miles were rough but somehow I managed to control the cramps and picked up the pace for the last 1.5 miles.

Even with the hydration problems, I still managed to PR by 15 minutes on a tougher course.  And next time I won't forget the suntan lotion!  Big grin

I actually BOUGHT 100+ sunblock and didn't bother putting it on. Got a "nice" looking burn on the top half of me. 

hydration and  electrolite's  is one of the hardest things to figure out (for me) 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson