Water for High School Cross Country Runners (Read 825 times)

I received the following email and would like to know what others think about this.  On Saturday, in metro Detroit, the expected low is in the mid to upper 50s and the expected high is upper 70s. 

<begin email>

Cross Country Coaches and MHSAA Officials:

This email to remind everyone of NF Rule 9-7-4. This rule states that providing liquids during competition is NOT considered to be an aid or assistance. There are a number of large invitational races this weekend and the forecast is calling for unseasonably warm temperatures.

It is legal and not considered an aid for someone to provide water on the course. There are two scenarios that all of us need to be aware of:

1. The games committee at upcoming races this weekend can designate an area where liquids may be provided to ALL competing athletes. If the temperatures turn out to be unseasonably warm, the MHSAA strongly encourages all games committees to designate that area and provide those liquids. Coaches may also provide liquids to their respective athletes in unrestricted areas of the course.
    2. In the absence of a games committee, know that it is legal for coaches to provide liquids to runners on the course in unrestricted areas as long as it does not interfere with other competitors or involve pacing.

Know that if unseasonably warm weather would be present during MHSAA Regional or Final competition, those sites will provide a designated area where liquids will be provided to all competing athletes.

<end email>

I think that this is unnecessary and we should be teaching our kids how to hydrate properly before a race.  Temperatures near 80 are not all that stifling and by the time they actually absorb the water into their bodies the race will be over.  Are we contributing to making these kids a bunch of wimps that are not prepared for non-perfect conditions, or am I being too judgemental?  In the future should kids be allowed to wear fuel belts? 

Thank you for taking the time to read my signature!

I think that a couple of deaths and lawsuits within the highschools has led to the attorney's making such a request.

Seems like 80* isn't too warm, especially for a shorter run, but the RISK of death is too great, and the announcement mitigates that risk.

There are some old school former HS athletes here in Texas that talk about back when they were in HS, they were doing <insert hard, insane practices here> in 100*+ temperatures, and those wimpy HS kids now have so many restrictions that keep them from whatever...

But, you're right.  Coaches should teach hydration properly (timely consumption).

The administrators need to permit consumption whenever the athlete may need it.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Overhydration kills.

Underhydration makes you uncomfortable.

I know which I prefer.

Prince of Fatness

Overhydration kills.

Underhydration makes you uncomfortable.

I know which I prefer.

Me too.

Not at it at all. 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Overdisclaimerage risks annoying people.

Underdisclaimerage risks losing moneys in lawsuit.

I can guess which the school prefers.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Thanks for your input.  I wasn't thinking about it from a legal standpoint.  I was thinking of it from a "C'mon Man!" standpoint.  We actually don't have a meet this weekend anyway.

Thank you for taking the time to read my signature!

MrH

The risk of under or overhydration on a 5k course seems very unlikely.

But the high school governing bodies are regularly implementing rules for safety that are more about avoiding liability.

If the slower, less athletic kids will enjoy the sport more by having a little water on a hot day, I wouldn't prohibit it. Smile

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

20 minute cutoff.  If you can't finish in 20 minutes you'll get stopped to save you from being exposed to those dangerous conditions for too long. 

That would not affect many of the varsity runners (I assume this is a HS 5k) but perhaps a modest portion of the JV runners would be stopped.  And those are probably the only kids with anything above a remote risk anyway. 

-----

Aside:  I read the book "Unbroken".  They talk about the 1936 US 5,000 meter trials where the temp was something like 103 degrees.  The track was about 130 degrees and most of the runners had burns on their feet where the spikes were conducting the heat from the track. 

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The risk of under or dehydration on a 5k course seems very unlikely.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I read the book "Unbroken".  They talk about the 1936 US 5,000 meter trials where the temp was something like 103 degrees.  The track was about 130 degrees and most of the runners had burns on their feet where the spikes were conducting the heat from the track. 

They should have run faster.

The risk of under or dehydration on a 5k course seems very unlikely.

Yeah - kids cross country races are never long enough for dehydration to be a serious issue.

joescott

This is just silly.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

This is just silly.

It is very silly. But, at one of my son's MS meets in a 1.5 mile race, I saw the coach of a school offering water to their runners during the race. I just shook my head in disbelief....

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It is very silly. But, at one of my son's MS meets in a 1.5 mile race, I saw the coach of a school offering water to their runners during the race. I just shook my head in disbelief....

You actually believed that was water? Then their nefarious scheme worked.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

You actually believed that was water? Then their nefarious scheme worked.

Their scheme only worked if the intent was to run really slow :-)