No GPS Devices Connected? (Read 903 times)

I'm not sure what causes the above error.  It is not something the server returns.  It's possible that the server did not respond fast enough and the javascript timed out, thus producing the error.  What browser are you using?  Also, when do you usually upload your data?

I am using Firefox v 3.0.13 (copy/paste from help about - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.13) Gecko/2009073022 Firefox/3.0.13)

I usually upload data between 6:00pm and 9:00pm.

Old Running Guy!

I am getting the same message, 'No GPS Device Detected' and have been for a few weeks.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Garmin Communicator Plug In and downloaded the Garmin drivers and still no difference.  What else can I do?  Help.

Harold

Run Run Run

2012 Goals
      Complete Dances with Dirt extreme trail relay.

1800 miles total

Run the Legend Trail Half Marathon

Run the Timber Trail XT 8 mile extreme trail run

eric :)

I am using Firefox v 3.0.13 (copy/paste from help about - Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.0.13) Gecko/2009073022 Firefox/3.0.13)

I usually upload data between 6:00pm and 9:00pm.

I first thought that the server maybe doing its daily backup when you're uploading but that's not it.  The next time it happens, can you press Ctrl-Shift-J to bring up the error console.  There maybe a lot of junk in there so press the Clear button and then try to upload again.  When the error occurs again, check to see if there are any errors in the error console.  Clicking the Errors button will filter out warnings, which are not relevant for debugging.

I am getting the same message, 'No GPS Device Detected' and have been for a few weeks.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the Garmin Communicator Plug In and downloaded the Garmin drivers and still no difference.  What else can I do?  Help.

Harold

Harold,

Other people have reported the same problem.  The easiest thing to do is to go over to the Garmin test page to see if it can detect your GPS:

http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/test/

My guess is that it will not see your GPS, in which case, you have a configuration problem with your plugin.  Let me know what the result of the test is and we can go from there.

Old Running Guy!

Eric,

I uninstalled the Communicator Plug in and reinstalled it then downloaded the drivers again, still not detecting the GPS.  I then went back to the Garmin CD and isolated the file GRMNUSB and finally the computer ran it and installed it.  Then it uploaded my data to Garmin Training Center. 

I went to GPS import in RA and it worked and is still working.  Somehow the Garmin USB software must have 'disapeared' from my computer.  I thought it was a problem with the 305 not software.

Now I'm back in business.

Run Run Run

2012 Goals
            Complete Dances with Dirt extreme trail relay.

1800 miles total

Run the Legend Trail Half Marathon

Run the Timber Trail XT 8 mile extreme trail run

I first thought that the server maybe doing its daily backup when you're uploading but that's not it.  The next time it happens, can you press Ctrl-Shift-J to bring up the error console.  There maybe a lot of junk in there so press the Clear button and then try to upload again.  When the error occurs again, check to see if there are any errors in the error console.  Clicking the Errors button will filter out warnings, which are not relevant for debugging.

Will do.

I received the message tonight when downloading/uploading a bike ride. I sent you an email Eric with information. The data made it to your database, so the information may not be useful.
                RunsForCake

Well, I thought I had this issue solved and today...No GPS devices detected again. 

Looks like I'll upload from my work PC again. 

Has anybody solved this issue long term?

Have you tried to reinstall everything?  Go to the Add/Remove Applications applet in the control panel.  You should find a Garmin USB Driver and Communicator Plugin.  Uninstall both and see if that makes a difference.
                    RunsForCake

Have you tried to reinstall everything?  Go to the Add/Remove Applications applet in the control panel.  You should find a Garmin USB Driver and Communicator Plugin.  Uninstall both and see if that makes a difference.

Eric,

Do you mean uninstall the USB Driver and the Communicatior Plugin directly from this site or from my laptop?

My husband uninstalled and reinstalled all the Garmin software from my laptop and it was fine for a couple of weeks.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm sure this won't help anyone else, but I have noticed that my computer won't upload my workout from today, and also, in unrelated news, have just noticed that I don't have the USB stick plugged in which is needed to communicate with the watch..

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

RunsForCake

Eric,

I asked my husband about how it fixed the problem the first time and he did exactly what you posted.

He did it again today and my Garmin is back uploading with no issue.

*fingers crossed it is for good*

I wonder if this is related to XP?  I run this program on my laptop.  At work we run Vista and I don't have any issues uploading from there.

I guess only time will tell.

Thanks for all your help!

This may not be what is causing issues, but it may help:

(copy / paste from http://www8.garmin.com/products/faq.jsp?product=010-00467-00#faq3)

Q. How can I reset an Edge or Forerunner 205/305 unit that has locked up?

A. If your device has locked up during use, you can reset your unit by pressing the "Mode"(reset/lap) and "Power" buttons at the same time.